Tackling in Practice

Beef Stew

Freshman
To me, I don't get involved with this 4-3, 3-4, x's and o's discussion on defense. To me, defense is very simple.... it comes down to fundamentals and effort.

A good defense is a defense that tackles well.

You know how you can tell we're not a very good defense? Go back and re-watch the Georgia Tech game, the Nebraska game, the second half of FSU. We are NOT a good tackling team. Here's the test: does the first guy to the ball make the tackle? In Miami's case, the answer is NO. TOO MANY whiffed tackles that take what would be a 2 or 3 yard loss and turn it in to a 5 or 6 yard gain because the second or third guy has to come in and clean up.

The only really good tackler we had was Denzel Perryman.

So that said, here is my question. I know that in the past, when we fielded our best defenses, Miami practices were very physical and we were in pads a lot, and practice was full contact a lot.

It seems like under Al Golden, we're hardly ever in pads, there's hardly any hitting in practice.... but there sure is a lot of dodgeball! Look, if you don't practice something, you won't improve. We're a poor tackling team because we have a sissified way of practicing now ever since AL Golden showed up.

Do you think we need to start tackling more in practice?

Advertisement
Ya noticed this a couple seasons ago. Foldens practices are always soft. He never pushes them really either. In fact he's always giving them undeserved days off. Plus I swear he never goes full contact, I'm pretty sure he's so terrified of injuries that he won't push them. Which leads to them being soft, slow, and easily pushed around. Then they get injured anyways lol smdh...

Hopefully he lets the boys loose and changes his philosophy if not its his ***.....he needs to become a ****head coach no music no dodgeball no bs.... Keep them boys hungry

He teaches them to be soft it seems. I know they have limited full pad/full contact practicies in college football but still other teams tackle just fine

Advertisement
Players might have to shower after practices with tackling and Golden knows from his PSU days that that can be a scary place.

Remember seeing Lewis and Reed leading players running up and down the Orange Bowl steps after practices...Some guys just get it...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back