Supporting Huger and Konkol

Advertisement
Consigliere thank you for going through the trouble and doing that. Much appreciated

I trust my eye and watching every single possession of every game over L's tenure is all I need to draw conclusions. I don't think we need to break down detailed stats to see we operated at a higher level when they were here. For anyone that knows the game it's been rather obvious EVEN WITH A MASSIVE TALENT UPGRADE. Just look at the success they are having as young head coaches. That tells you all you need to know. You guys kill me that you come to the rescue for this coaching staff each and every chance you get. Wake up and smell the roses.

All you have to do is remove the tinfoil helmet and allow the oxygen to hit your brain. Anyone can easily see the quality of the assistants and coaching has gotten worse over Coach's tenure. I think a couple of obvious signs stand out:

1. Huger and Konkol left. We already discussed this above. We clearly win less games without them.

2. In 2015, Caputo became the "defensive coordinator". Look at those defensive stats and how they compared to Huger's (he was the DC when he was at Miami).

3. The 2013-14 season was one of the most impressive coaching performances I have ever seen. I am not joking either. That roster was atrocious and we lost 5 starters (from the previous season). Our best player, at that time, might have been Rion Brown. With that said, that team went 7-11 in conference. In conference, we lost by 5 or less points six times [VT (1) , @ Cuse (5), @ Maryland (3), Pitt (4), NC State (1) and @ Clemson (4)].

All you have to do is remove the tinfoil helmet and allow the oxygen to hit your brain. Anyone can easily see the quality of the assistants and coaching has gotten worse over Coach's tenure. I think a couple of obvious signs stand out:

1. Huger and Konkol left. We already discussed this above. We clearly win less games without them.

2. In 2015, Caputo became the "defensive coordinator". Look at those defensive stats and how they compared to Huger's (he was the DC when he was at Miami).

3. The 2013-14 season was one of the most impressive coaching performances I have ever seen. I am not joking either. That roster was atrocious and we lost 5 starters (from the previous season). Our best player, at that time, might have been Rion Brown. With that said, that team went 7-11 in conference. In conference, we lost by 5 or less points six times [VT (1) , @ Cuse (5), @ Maryland (3), Pitt (4), NC State (1) and @ Clemson (4)].
I completely agree in regard to all of it, but specifically 13-14. That team was an extremely well coached team and as you mentioned, L's best coaching year to date. If I remember correctly we played a match up zone that year that was killer.

Edit: Now that I see you mention Rion Brown. I CLEARLY remember running sets through him when Huger and Konkol were here. Not only to get free looks but also back door lobs. WE HAVEN'T SEEN ANY OF THAT since then. That is unacceptable considering the shooter vasil is. We should be running 8-10 sets for him a game to get open looks but we haven't done that once in his career.

Last edited:
I completely agree in regards all of it, but specifically 13-14. That team was an extremely well coached team and as you mentioned, L's best coaching year to date. If I remember correctly we played a match up zone that year that was killer.

Edit: Now that I see you mention Rion Brown. I CLEARLY remember running sets through him when Huger and Konkol were here. Not only to get free looks but also back door lobs. WE HAVEN'T SEEN ANY OF THAT since then. That is unacceptable considering the shooter vasil is. We should be running 12-15 sets for him a game to get open looks but we haven't done that once in his career.

Not to take away from Coach L and his staff for the job they did with the 13-14 team but how many of those kids were leftovers from the Frank Haith era.
I only ask because of the huge amount of success that team had, I have always wondered why Coach L and staff did not try to build the roster in that model going forward.
That team was deep in the wings and had a quality depth of bigs plus an outstanding point guard who could score, defend and make his teammates better.
I guess next season would be the closest we have been to that team, especially if they use the last two scholarships on two more bigs.
Just wondering why we have not duplicated that successful basketball team.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back