Stevo breaks down Reese Poffenbarger tape

Sometimes inaccurate on long passes;
Made bad decisions under pressure (too many ints, especially his last game
These are the things that would worry me. He's gonna be asked relatively often to take the top off the field. If he's called on to play he's immediately under more pressure than in all likelihood he's ever known on top of far better defenses. That could go epically bad.

Advertisement
I don't have an issue with him being a take or that he came from the FCS. He adds depth to a room that needs bodies with experience. But saying "poffenbarger is literally Cam when he got his shot out of FCS" is disingenuous. There's no way you really believe he's some kinda discounted version of Ward. You said yourself that you "watched him play due to ties to UAlbany players." So is it possible that you're just a little biased here?

Ward has/had much better arm talent. A lot of us have watched film on him and @Brooklyndee put it best with "the ball floats on him (due to his 3/4 release point)". Surely you saw it too. Its not just former coaches and players saying this. I mean.. Ward was the #5 QB and 22 overall player in the portal. Poff is the 53rd best QB for a reason. Having seen my own players go on to out play their high school rankings, I'll be the first to say rankings aren't always what they're cracked up to be. But as an FCS All American in the poral, there's a lot of eyes on him.

Again, I like what he brings to the room with his experience and moxie. I also think his commitment might've been celebrated on this board if it had come AFTER we land our starter. But let's not portray him as something he's not, just because he committed to us.
relax. They are still working on another QB they needed him to pop so he can compete in spring. Nobody knows when emory will be cleared. That would leave Judd and JB11 as your only scholly QB. I did not compare him as a player to cam ward at all. Im saying he is the cam ward of this cycle the best FCS QB making the jump to P5 and we wont have to pay him a bunch of money.

I'm a little worried about arm strength here…Seems like he really has to wind up to get the ball outside the hashes. I do like the variety of angles and the accuracy on the intermediate stuff though. Also, with that OL you can tell he is crafty in the pocket and learned to keep his head and the ball high and knows when to throw away. I'm admittedly no qb guru.

These are the things that would worry me. He's gonna be asked relatively often to take the top off the field. If he's called on to play he's immediately under more pressure than in all likelihood he's ever known on top of far better defenses. That could go epically bad.
But he is also going to have dramatically better WR's and OL than he has ever worked with. It could go "epically well".

He was.. This has been one of his favorite targets.
He was high on him the second he hit the portal. I'll watch his breakdown.

Personally, I just don't see the arm-strength from even the highlights I've seen.

Honestly, I'd lay $ on Brown beating him out for the job if it comes to that, so to me I'm not too worried by the take. More of a depth piece IMO.

Advertisement
He was high on him the second he hit the portal. I'll watch his breakdown.

Personally, I just don't see the arm-strength from even the highlights I've seen.

Honestly, I'd lay $ on Brown beating him out for the job if it comes to that, so to me I'm not too worried by the take. More of a depth piece IMO.
The reason brown won’t beat him out. On air and in spring/fall practice I would bet Poff throws better on air then brown (who dirts slants). Idk if poff is better when the lights come on but I can almost guarantee he is a better passer in practice

But he is also going to have dramatically better WR's and OL than he has ever worked with. It could go "epically well".
Absolutely. That's what I'm sure we're all hoping for. Realistically speaking no matter what concerns may be present, he's clearly as of this moment the most talented qb on the roster. Emory isn't ready and jaccurri is nowhere near where he needs to be as competent starting qb. I don't want people to think I don't like this pick up just because I said a thing or two. I trust in our staff and our evals. That's all I need. BUT I really hope we're able to still pull in another portal qb for this season. At the least make them compete.

The reason brown won’t beat him out. On air and in spring/fall practice I would bet Poff throws better on air then brown (who dirts slants). Idk if poff is better when the lights come on but I can almost guarantee he is a better passer in practice
Brown isn't going to be the starting qb here UNLESS he takes a complete 180 this offseason and puts another product on the field. All the same I doubt he will even be here after spring.

You think he'll be better in scrimmages too? I don't claim to be a film nerd or anything like that.

Advertisement
Some stats… Overall I’d say He has a high INT rate regardless how you loo at it. But clearly he throws downfield and has a high TD rate also to offset his INTs. The games he played against the best/ most disadvantageous competition are where he had by far his worst stats. Should watch these games to see how much was him and his team/the competition talent. Like did he ever have a chance against SouthDakota ST? Given his Oline I think not but should watch to see

Full Season Stats:
3,614 Yards - 7.67 Y/A - 7.96 Adjusted Y/A
36 TDs - 7.64 TD%
13 INTs - 2.76 INT%
276/471 = 58.60 Comp%

Regular Season Stats:
2,871 Yards - 7.91 Y/A - 8.50 Adjusted Y/A
31 TDs - 8.54 TD%
9 INTs - 2.45 INT%
210/363 = 57.85 Comp%

In the 3 Most Talent Disadvantaged Games (Marshall, Hawaii, South Dakota St) he was horrible though:

519 Y - 1 TD - 4 INT - 54.87 Comp%

In all games but those 3 he was elite but with still a pretty high INT rate:

3,095 Yards - 8.65 Y/A - 9.47 Adjusted Y/A
35 TDs - 9.78 TD%
9 INTs - 2.45 INT%
214/358 = 59.78 Comp%

Last edited:
Some stats… Overall I’d say He has a high INT rate regardless how you loo at it. But clearly he throws downfield and has a high TD rate also to offset his INTs. The games he played against the best/ most disadvantageous competition are where he had by far his worst stats. Should watch these games to see how much was him and his team/the competition talent. Like did he ever have a chance against SouthDakota ST? Given his Oline I think not but should watch to see

Full Season Stats:
3,614 Yards - 7.67 Y/A - 7.96 Adjusted Y/A
36 TDs - 7.64 TD%
13 INTs - 2.76 INT%
276/471 = 57.85 Comp%

Regular Season Stats:
2,871 Yards - 7.91 Y/A - 8.50 Adjusted Y/A
31 TDs - 8.54 TD%
9 INTs - 2.45 INT%
210/363 = 57.85 Comp%

In the 3 Most Talent Disadvantaged Games (Marshall, Hawaii, South Dakota St) he was horrible though:

519 Y - 1 TD - 4 INT - 54.87 Comp%

In all games but those 3 he was elite but with still a pretty high INT rate:

3,095 Yards - 8.65 Y/A - 9.47 Adjusted Y/A
35 TDs - 9.78 TD%
9 INTs - 2.45 INT%
214/358 = 59.78 Comp%
good stuff

assuming we'll be as talented / more talented than 95% of the teams we play, will be interesting to see how he fares.

will be better comp, but he also will have equally improved crop of talent around him

Stevo is a good dude for what he posts and is passionate, but I legit don’t think he’s ever hated a Miami prospect.

He gushed over TVD and called Emory an alpha dawg. Doesn’t mean he can’t be right here, but let’s take everything with a grain of salt.
Dude there is WAY too much salt on this forum. I don't need any more of that; not even a grain of salt.

Advertisement
I guess I’m a liar. Emory had nothing to do with that game lol the team was gonna show up cause it was fsu period
he was a freshman with limited time in practice with the GottDamm first team! You must’ve been one of the Tyler Van Yikes Slurpers 🤔 Ain’t no GottDamm way we are within striking distance with TVY as a starter. Yes you are a Liar! 🤥

Advertisement
Brown isn't going to be the starting qb here UNLESS he takes a complete 180 this offseason and puts another product on the field. All the same I doubt he will even be here after spring.
I hope he is he has talent he’s just at least another year away. Just isn’t consistent enough yet

You think he'll be better in scrimmages too? I don't claim to be a film nerd or anything like that.
Scrimmage the QB can’t be hit still more on air throws. How did Jacurri look in the spring game? I do think poff is better Rn but we shall see

Advertisement
Back