Stevo breaks down Reese Poffenbarger tape

Stevo is a good dude for what he posts and is passionate, but I legit don’t think he’s ever hated a Miami prospect.

He gushed over TVD and called Emory an alpha dawg. Doesn’t mean he can’t be right here, but let’s take everything with a grain of salt.
I agree, but Stevo usually starts the pimping after the kid commits. Stevo has been raving about Poff since he hit the portal. I brought up Salter, Finn, etc. to him during a personal chat and he kept saying Poff is his guy fwiw.

Advertisement
Was he hyping this guy at any point *before* it became obvious he was the only person left to take home from the bar?
Actually, I think he was. I could be wrong but thought there was a WR he worked with on Albany so he had already been familiar with him and liked him even before there was any Miami talk

I like poffenbarger. Have watched him play due to ties to UAlbany players. The reason why everyone thinks it came out of nowhere is because he already transferred from ODU. Once the NCAA basically said you can transfer at will, he hit the portal. Very good scheme fit and does alot of the things dawson loved to do with tune at Houston. Which is change the launch point and move the QB. That wasnt TVD strongsuit and it will give dawson the element he likes. Super fast release and the video explains it all. He isn’t a HS kid so i have more freedom to critque which is why i didn’t leave out his interceptions. He raises the QB room floor and after back to back years of QBs getting hurt we need those bodies in. Canes family this kid has “it” factor and teammates gravitate towards him. I think it was a great pickup. Does that mean i didn’t want cam? No i did but poffenbarger is literally Cam when he got his shot out of FCS 2 years ago so we didn’t need to pay him outragous NIL when we already doubled his highest offer. #GoCanes

Advertisement
I like poffenbarger. Have watched him play due to ties to UAlbany players. The reason why everyone thinks it came out of nowhere is because he already transferred from ODU. Once the NCAA basically said you can transfer at will, he hit the portal. Very good scheme fit and does alot of the things dawson loved to do with tune at Houston. Which is change the launch point and move the QB. That wasnt TVD strongsuit and it will give dawson the element he likes. Super fast release and the video explains it all. He isn’t a HS kid so i have more freedom to critque which is why i didn’t leave out his interceptions. He raises the QB room floor and after back to back years of QBs getting hurt we need those bodies in. Canes family this kid has “it” factor and teammates gravitate towards him. I think it was a great pickup. Does that mean i didn’t want cam? No i did but poffenbarger is literally Cam when he got his shot out of FCS 2 years ago so we didn’t need to pay him outragous NIL when we already doubled his highest offer. #GoCanes
I see a lot to like. He does things that we need from the position. Hitting guys in stride down the field is a lost art, and he is really good at it. Anticipation is great. Football IQ seems high. I'm not understanding the hate for the guy, at all. I think some people on here think that winning means getting the most popular player. Nah. It's about getting the one that can make plays and get you some Ws. Albany was a 2 win team before he arrived. They won 11 this year. That's a freaking massive difference.

Stevo is a good dude for what he posts and is passionate, but I legit don’t think he’s ever hated a Miami prospect.

He gushed over TVD and called Emory an alpha dawg. Doesn’t mean he can’t be right here, but let’s take everything with a grain of salt.

After including alot of WTF throws i put in like this ^^ i was asked not too anymore. Even tho it was a perfect ******* eval on Garcia 😭 . Transfers are fair game i don’t gotta sell i just happen to really like him

Come on, most here gushed over Van Yikes for 3 years and said he gave us the best chance to win during the season even when he played like 💩💩😂🤣. Emory was a true frosh that went into Doak against an healthy FS💩 and put everything on the line trying to get a W with limited reps with the fi Team Offense! Yes in my book that’s Alpha because the team believed in him and rallied behind him.You are a GottDamm liar if you say otherwise.

I don't have an issue with him being a take or that he came from the FCS. He adds depth to a room that needs bodies with experience. But saying "poffenbarger is literally Cam when he got his shot out of FCS" is disingenuous. There's no way you really believe he's some kinda discounted version of Ward. You said yourself that you "watched him play due to ties to UAlbany players." So is it possible that you're just a little biased here?

Ward has/had much better arm talent. A lot of us have watched film on him and @Brooklyndee put it best with "the ball floats on him (due to his 3/4 release point)". Surely you saw it too. Its not just former coaches and players saying this. I mean.. Ward was the #5 QB and 22 overall player in the portal. Poff is the 53rd best QB for a reason. Having seen my own players go on to out play their high school rankings, I'll be the first to say rankings aren't always what they're cracked up to be. But as an FCS All American in the poral, there's a lot of eyes on him.

Again, I like what he brings to the room with his experience and moxie. I also think his commitment might've been celebrated on this board if it had come AFTER we land our starter. But let's not portray him as something he's not, just because he committed to us.

Advertisement
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

I don't have an issue with him being a take or that he came from the FCS. He adds depth to a room that needs bodies with experience. But saying "poffenbarger is literally Cam when he got his shot out of FCS" is disingenuous. There's no way you really believe he's some kinda discounted version of Ward. You said yourself that you "watched him play due to ties to UAlbany players." So is it possible that you're just a little biased here?

Ward has/had much better arm talent. A lot of us have watched film on him and @Brooklyndee put it best with "the ball floats on him (due to his 3/4 release point)". Surely you saw it too. Its not just former coaches and players saying this. I mean.. Ward was the #5 QB and 22 overall player in the portal. Poff is the 53rd best QB for a reason. Having seen my own players go on to out play their high school rankings, I'll be the first to say rankings aren't always what they're cracked up to be. But as an FCS All American in the poral, there's a lot of eyes on him.

Again, I like what he brings to the room with his experience and moxie. I also think his commitment might've been celebrated on this board if it had come AFTER we land our starter. But let's not portray him as something he's not, just because he committed to us.
And if he had committed to WKU everyone would say they did it again going from Zappe to Austin Reed to Reeces Poff…now sure we have higher expectations to get a top QB than WKU, but Austin Reed would have been a superstar here probably lol

It is obvious he is a portal qb2 here, and in a worst case scenario now we have a 4 person (really 3 cause Judd has no shot imo) for the starting job almost guys Currently on roster.

Like someone else said If we had gotten a guy like him Last year - which imo is VERY difficult to do (get a portal QB2) - we would likely have won 2 more games easily.

I dont think he has a great arm - I’d grade it as above average and certainly good enough considering I believe arm strength is one of the least valuable traits in college. I don’t really like how his lower body behaves in his throwing motion including on the run, and worry that could lead to accuracy issues. But dude will pull the trigger and throws catchable passes. And I think his pocket escapability is great. If he is smart and a good leader, I think he can definitely have success for us as a starter next yr. I’d be more confident with him than Emory/Jacurri at least.

And if he had committed to WKU everyone would say they did it again going from Zappe to Austin Reed to Reeces Poff…now sure we have higher expectations to get a top QB than WKU, but Austin Reed would have been a superstar here probably lol

It is obvious he is a portal qb2 here, and in a worst case scenario now we have a 4 person (really 3 cause Judd has no shot imo) for the starting job almost guys Currently on roster.

Like someone else said If we had gotten a guy like him Last year - which imo is VERY difficult to do (get a portal QB2) - we would likely have won 2 more games easily.

I dont think he has a great arm - I’d grade it as above average and certainly good enough considering I believe arm strength is one of the least valuable traits in college. I don’t really like how his lower body behaves in his throwing motion including on the run, and worry that could lead to accuracy issues. But dude will pull the trigger and throws catchable passes. And I think his pocket escapability is great. If he is smart and a good leader, I think he can definitely have success for us as a starter next yr. I’d be more confident with him than Emory/Jacurri at least.
I agree with most of this. Like I said in the post above, I have no issue with the take. I believe that if he had committed AFTER we got our guy, his commitment likely would've been celebrated instead of questioned.

What kills me though, yesterday Dmoney compared him to Baker Mayfield, Mike Ryan Ruiz said D'Eriq King and now its Ward. I think we both know what's going to happen if (or more likely when) the Mayfield-King-Ward prototype doesn't play the way the board has been sunshine pumped into believing he will.

All I'm asking for here is honesty. Which doesn't have to be negative. I mean.. we got an FCS starter (and All American no less) to be our backup. That's what a majority of this board wanted.

Advertisement
I agree with most of this. Like I said in the post above, I have no issue with the take. I believe that if he had committed AFTER we got our guy, his commitment likely would've been celebrated instead of questioned.

What kills me though, yesterday Dmoney compared him to Baker Mayfield, Mike Ryan Ruiz said D'Eriq King and now its Ward. I think we both know what's going to happen if (or more likely when) the Mayfield-King-Ward prototype doesn't play the way the board has been sunshine pumped into believing he will.

All I'm asking for here is honesty. Which doesn't have to be negative. I mean.. we got an FCS starter (and All American no less) to be our backup. That's what a majority of this board wanted.
Yes, amen.

Advertisement
Come on, most here gushed over Van Yikes for 3 years and said he gave us the best chance to win during the season even when he played like 💩💩😂🤣. Emory was a true frosh that went into Doak against an healthy FS💩 and put everything on the line trying to get a W with limited reps with the fi Team Offense! Yes in my book that’s Alpha because the team believed in him and rallied behind him.You are a GottDamm liar if you say otherwise.
I guess I’m a liar. Emory had nothing to do with that game lol the team was gonna show up cause it was fsu period

Have seen his films against Marshall, Idaho and SDSU. I believe he is absolutely an upgrade to TVD.
Pros:
dual threat, quick and seems good speed as well;
passing is relative accurate for short and intermediate distance and lead the receivers;
Good awareness in pocket;
Read defense and make quick decisions;
Throw on the run is good;
Seems mental tough and smart;
Consistent.
Cons:
Small for a QB
Sometimes inaccurate on long passes;
Made bad decisions under pressure (too many ints, especially his last game);

Last edited:
I guess I’m a liar. Emory had nothing to do with that game lol the team was gonna show up cause it was fsu period
Cut that **** out. No reason not to give that kid some kind of credit. At the very least he's not what cost us the game necessarily. His limitations may have. But he didn't go out into a tremendously hostile environment and lay down either. Did the team show up for poo last year?

Cut that **** out. No reason not to give that kid some kind of credit. At the very least he's not what cost us the game necessarily. His limitations may have. But he didn't go out into a tremendously hostile environment and lay down either. Did the team show up for poo last year?
Listen bro you can have your opinion I have mine. No one said he laid down. I said he’s not the reason the team showed up.

Advertisement
Back