Starting line up?

Restonp

Recruit

Maybe I'm grasping at straws (I probably am) but from the post it looks like the starting line up will be something like:

Lykes
Wong
Cam
Cross
Brooks

It would make sense especially for Cross to start with Sam out, and we played a lot of three guard line up's last year. I think this line-up can be really good with dribble penetration but it'll come down to how well we can shoot the ball. I believe Cross's ability to shoot in high school will translate, but will Wong's shot continue to develop or will it stay very streaky. And lastly I hope Cam and Lykes wont just pound the air out of the ball then take a contested mid-range shot like they did a lot of last year.

Advertisement

Maybe I'm grasping at straws (I probably am) but from the post it looks like the starting line up will be something like:

Lykes
Wong
Cam
Cross
Brooks

It would make sense especially for Cross to start with Sam out, and we played a lot of three guard line up's last year. I think this line-up can be really good with dribble penetration but it'll come down to how well we can shoot the ball. I believe Cross's ability to shoot in high school will translate, but will Wong's shot continue to develop or will it stay very streaky. And lastly I hope Cam and Lykes wont just pound the air out of the ball then take a contested mid-range shot like they did a lot of last year.

Great post and I agree with all of it. Will Larranaga abandon the seniorority starting 5? I would be surprised if he does even though I would like him too.

Last edited:
Great post and I agree with all of it. Will Larranaga abandon the seniorority starting 5? I would be surprised if he does even though I would like him too.
I doubt he changes his ways, time has shown us that his veteran team are usually his best teams. My problem is that outside of Chris have any seniors/juniors shown that they can compete at an elite level? not just skill wise but consistency wise.

I doubt he changes his ways, time has shown us that his veteran team are usually his best teams. My problem is that outside of Chris have any seniors/juniors shown that they can compete at an elite level? not just skill wise but consistency wise.
McGusty to an extent but like you mentioned the consistency part is not there. Especially when he’s forcing his.

Advertisement
I would think that lineup makes sense but Timberlake instead of Cross
I think we should small whenever possible due to our lack of/ unproven depth at big, but Timberlake at the 4 doesn't make sense to me unless we're playing a team that likes to play small like Notre Dame , or a defensive minded team like Virginia and maybe Syracuse.

Advertisement
IMO, the starters for the first game should be Chris Lykes, Kam McGusty, Earl Timberlake, Anthony Walker and Nysier Brooks.
That would leave Isaiah Wong, Harlond Beverly, Matt Cross, Deng Gak and Rodney Miller to come off the bench.
They should start big and play small in some stretches during the game.

IMO, the starters for the first game should be Chris Lykes, Kam McGusty, Earl Timberlake, Anthony Walker and Nysier Brooks.
That would leave Isaiah Wong, Harlond Beverly, Matt Cross, Deng Gak and Rodney Miller to come off the bench.
They should start big and play small in some stretches during the game.
I don't think Ant walker is ready to start, I thought I heard somewhere that he has a knee injury ( not sure how severe tho)

Advertisement

I really like how passionate coach L was on team defense which was a major weakness we had last year with all the ball watching. Hopefully that means more zone so we can hide Chris's height in the pick and rolls, because high hedging with a 5'7 guard is basically playing 4v5.

Advertisement
Back