Stacy Coley looking for another memorable game against FSU

David Perez

Recruit
Miami+v+Florida+State+1g5oPqotzQkl.jpg

Santana Moss once famously uttered that “big time players step up in big games,” and although Miami Hurricanes senior receiver Stacy Coley has not had the type of career in Coral Gables that Moss did, the 6’1” wideout has stepped up against rival FSU.

Coley shredded the ‘Noles secondary for 139 yards on 7 receptions last year, and caught a 29 yard dart from Brad Kaaya for a touchdown, which gave Miami the lead late in the fourth quarter. The veteran had several big performances last year against teams such as Virginia, but Coley shined brightest on that October night in Tallahassee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Sgjt95BL0

Coley had a mere four receptions combined against FSU during his freshman and sophomore year, but after inconsistent play, he reminded fans of his ability against FSU.

Two months later Mark Richt was brought into Coral Gables, and newly hired Wide Receivers Coach Ron Dugans embraced the opportunity to hone Coley’s natural abilities.

“I think he’s got ability -- that was the biggest thing when I got here,” Dugans said after practice this week. “I just want to teach him the game of football and understand it -- principles in the passing game [and] patterns on the perimeter blocking to elevate his game.”

And since Dugans stepped onto Miami’s campus, Coley has become a model of consistency. As one of Kaaya’s top targets, Coley has totaled the most receptions on the team for over 200 yards and 4 touchdowns (the most among Miami receivers).

Coley has been finding holes in the defense, and his chemistry with Brad Kaaya seems to be improving every week. In Miami’s first road test of the season on the road at Appalachian State, Coley caught a team-leading 5 passes, and reeled in two of Brad Kaaya’s three touchdown passes. Coley has simply shown up in every game thus far for the Hurricanes, a new trend Richt and his staff worked towards all offseason.

The senior is coming off of a four catch one touchdown performance in Miami’s first conference game of the year, and now it is time for Coley to stay consistent.

The ‘Canes now face their toughest stretch of the season with matchups against FSU, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, and Notre Dame looming, and it will be vital for Miami to lean on their veterans in each of those big matchups.

Coley has the most big-game experience of any receiver on the team entering this matchup against FSU, and if he can turn in another performance like he did last year against the ‘Noles, Miami will be in good shape.

We have seen a different, more consistent Stacy Coley thus far in 2016, and if the past is any indication of the future, Coley will perform once the lights turn on this Saturday night.

Advertisement
I think Coley will have a great game but coaches should use our TE and exploit that mismatch all game.No way that they can cover our TE's.Doesn't matter how it gets done to me as long as we win though.

i believe the semiholes will focus on Stacy and this will allow our TE's and other receivers to step up

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back