Spring Game bih

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Had to find the game for us armchair coaches to dissect. Appreciate Dmoney and co. But I like to make my own assessments too.

Here's one thing that was very encouraging...at the 51:05 mark with the first team O on the field we go Pro Right with Njoku at TE and Herdon at fullback and throw a little route to the flat for 15-18 yards. Njoku throws a great block. Very next play Richt flips the formation and runs the exact same play. Again a little dump to Herdon in the flat and again Njoku throws a great block. Herdon 30 yards gained and a TD on 2 of the easiest passes in the game to complete, and Njoku with amazing blocks.

That's play calling at it's finest. Don't complicate things, don't get tricky, don't out smart yourself....put your guys in positions to make the play.

Advertisement
Here's one thing that was very encouraging...at the 51:05 mark with the first team O on the field we go Pro Right with Njoku at TE and Herdon at fullback and throw a little route to the flat for 15-18 yards. Njoku throws a great block. Very next play Richt flips the formation and runs the exact same play. Again a little dump to Herdon in the flat and again Njoku throws a great block. Herdon 30 yards gained and a TD on 2 of the easiest passes in the game to complete, and Njoku with amazing blocks.

That's play calling at it's finest. Don't complicate things, don't get tricky, don't out smart yourself....put your guys in positions to make the play.

And that's vanilla as ****.

I wonder what Richt's counter is for that play seeing as he was more than comfortable throwing that on film

I wonder what Richt's counter is for that play seeing as he was more than comfortable throwing that on film

That's the beauty of it. Just got to know the right time to use it.

Richt has always had good timing as a play caller from what i remember. Plays were never overly complicated. Just well executed and called at the right time. The last guy would've called a flea flicker reverse jump pass. Richt i feel really does keep it simple as a play caller.

a good counter IMO would be something like a whee, corner post,l or whip route to TE, this play being Njoku (A similar looking route to the one he dropped in the opening drive of FSU), a backside post corner going against the flow of the play would be nice, and that backside shallow cross is a little hidden gem when you catch them right.

Advertisement

That's the beauty of it. Just got to know the right time to use it.

Richt has always had good timing as a play caller from what i remember. Plays were never overly complicated. Just well executed and called at the right time. The last guy would've called a flea flicker reverse jump pass. Richt i feel really does keep it simple as a play caller.

a good counter IMO would be something like a whee, corner post,l or whip route to TE, this play being Njoku (A similar looking route to the one he dropped in the opening drive of FSU), a backside post corner going against the flow of the play would be nice, and that backside shallow cross is a little hidden gem when you catch them right.

And you know Richt love the shallow game...solid work from you bro. Need more like that.

Thank you. He's made a living off the shallow cross and one of the more successful play callers with it i feel like.

Another play he loves is the play-action Bang 8 (Post thrown on a line at about 18-20 yards not a deep post). He hit us with that in the Dorsey/Shockey game to go up late. AJ Green made that play look easy too.

Advertisement
Back