Special Teams Question

ball915

All-American
Besides Artie Burns' FG block against UNC last year, how many kicks have we blocked under Golden?

His special teams is so **** conservative like his defense and that UNC block had a major influence in us pulling off that win. We used to be good for a handful of blocked kicks a season and have't seen that in forever. We've had some solid returns with Duke and Coley (last year's Coley) but nothing in regards to aggressive "lets use our speed" type approach. The reason GT was able to pull their fake off to perfection is as we set it up for them calling the full on punt return all season long.

Advertisement
Isn't coleys fault. There's been no holes

don't know how that contributes to blocking kicks but yes you are correct another area Al has failed is kickoff return this year. Has 2 of the premier returners in the nation back there with zero productivity

Advertisement
I don't have the stats to back it up but I feel like punt blocks overall in college football have gone way down since all the teams started using the new formation with the 3 blockers in front of the punter. That said, we still suck at blocking kicks. I'd be stunned if we weren't below the national average (just like we are in most other stats).

Gabe Terry blocked a punt against VT in 2012. Golden then kicked him off the team.

Must've needed this to calm his nerves:

"According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, the cornerback was arrested Friday and charged with possession of marijuana as well as resisting arrest without violence. While no details of what led to the arrest are currently available, Terry’s booking information shows he was in possession of 26.8 grams of marijuana (essentially an ounce from what I’ve heard)."

Special Teams have quietly been just as bad as the defense this season.

Yes. This is Al Golden's defense and special teams, both of which are in the worst state this program has seen in a quarter century.

But leave it to some #canesfam mouthbreathers to claim firing D'Onofrio and hiring another stooge to run the same exact Al Golden defense will solve our problems.

The problem i have with his special teams is.................................................................

He's burning redshirts on guys like Juwan Young, Marqus Gayot, even freaking Ryan Mayes and Chris Herndon likely burned their shirt already.
running down the field on kickoffs...essentially blowing a good year for maybe 3-4 tackles on the year for those guys.

Our specials are bad...f it...play more starters on the **** specials....instead of experimenting and burning guys shirts for no **** reason..especially guys i wish could get the shirt like the ones listed above.

Advertisement
The problem i have with his special teams is.................................................................

He's burning redshirts on guys like Juwan Young, Marqus Gayot, even freaking Ryan Mayes and Chris Herndon likely burned their shirt already.
running down the field on kickoffs...essentially blowing a good year for maybe 3-4 tackles on the year for those guys.

Our specials are bad...f it...play more starters on the **** specials....instead of experimenting and burning guys shirts for no **** reason..especially guys i wish could get the shirt like the ones listed above.

he does it so he can sell "early playing time" on the recruiting trail

In 2012, Gabe Terry blocked a VT punt.
In 2013, Dallas Crawford got a hand on one against UNC in the same game as the field goal. McCord blocked one against Pitt at the beginning of the game.

Well we can be assured that Gorlden is working his tail off and it all starts with him.

Our return game alone should get Golden fired.

Advertisement
Honestly, I don't care that we don't have FG/punt blocks. The punt blocks have become more challenging and FG blocks are very difficult.

I'm more concerned with our inability to kick deep, cover kick off returns and block for kick returns. Those are 3 phases where the coaches have more control over and they've been dismal.

Advertisement
Back