Some basketball recruiting "news"

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
### The UM basketball program is compiling a list of every redshirt junior on a team that has had a coaching change, hoping to lure another Donnavan Kirk-type senior transfer.

Coach Jim Larranaga loves his incoming class: "[Guard] Ja’Quan Newton just became the leading scorer in the history of the Catholic School League in Philadelphia. [Guard] James Palmer played in the best league in the country, in Washington, D.C., is a very good shooter, an outstanding passer….

“Omar Sherman [6-9] has a beautiful left-handed touch from three-point range, like Kenny Kadji….Ivan Uceda is 6-10, a junior college player, can hit a spot-up three, excellent passer. He's not a gifted athlete. We'd like to have somebody his size with a little more physical ability."

UM covets 7-1, 261-pound Miami Beach High freshman phenom Zachariah Brown, who averaged 18.1 points, 17 rebounds and 8.0 blocks and is drawing interest from Louisville, UCLA and traditional powerhouses, according to his AAU team director, Michael Lipman, who became Brown's legal guardian after the state took him away from his home.

"NBA scouts tell me he's a one-and-done in college," Lipman said. "He's so dominant.”…

UM also is strongly pursuing Norland sophomore 6-11 power forward Dewan Huell. His coach, Lawton Williams, calls him the "best power player in Dade in a while." Williams said Huell is considering UM. But many believe FSU has the inside track. Even if UM gets either player, it won't be for several years.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2014/03/loria-rejects-overtures-from-markets-most-successful-owner-dolphins-heat-canes-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Zachariah Brown would be an absolute program changer.

Would be great if we got the #1 2016 one n' done recruit Thon Maker who allegedly has interest in us as well.

adding either of these 2 would have us competing for national titles. Bright future ahead for canes basketball, very excited.

The talent in florida these next few years for basketball is nuts, especially in south florida. I hope we are able to get our share of kids

Advertisement
The talent in florida these next few years for basketball is nuts, especially in south florida. I hope we are able to get our share of kids

Yes it is kids like Prince Ali, Haanif Cheatham, Cedric Wright, Jose Morales, Huell, Brown, Jeffery Phophete, and Abule Abate are all studs you will be hearing a lot of on the college level and beyond. It's been awhile that there has been this much talent down here over a 3 year span.

Yes it is kids like Prince Ali, Haanif Cheatham, Cedric Wright, Jose Morales, Huell, Brown, Jeffery Phophete, and Abule Abate are all studs you will be hearing a lot of on the college level and beyond. It's been awhile that there has been this much talent down here over a 3 year span.

Recruiting locally is one of the things Coach L cited when he came here. Hope we can land some of these kids - and why not conveniently play here if you're only going to be here 1 or 2 years. Imagine having the 'leaving for NBA next year syndrome' as a steady problem! Getterdone coach!

Regardless of whether we get some of these one and done kids, coach is going to have an advantage of experience at Miami going forward.

Next year's lineup will have players that have played serious burn before (Angel and Sheldon) and players who are already in the system (Burnett, Reed, Jekiri, Manu and Kelly).

Uceda may not be "gifted" but he's an absolute steal! The kid has a nose for the ball and can rebound, pass and has a nice shot. On top of it kid just made national honor society so he's pretty smart kid to boot. I like the kid's Basketball IQ, plays smart, unselfish hoop.

Advertisement
Uceda may not be "gifted" but he's an absolute steal! The kid has a nose for the ball and can rebound, pass and has a nice shot. On top of it kid just made national honor society so he's pretty smart kid to boot. I like the kid's Basketball IQ, plays smart, unselfish hoop.

and he dates black girls...lol dude had a fine lil thing when i saw his twitter, shows he has good decision making

Advertisement
### The UM basketball program is compiling a list of every redshirt junior on a team that has had a coaching change, hoping to lure another Donnavan Kirk-type senior transfer.

How about this guy?
Sort of fits the description.

http://www.fausports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/justin_raffington_816470.html

Well, of course, the key is that the player has to ask to transfer and get a release (though I am sure there are ways to communicate through back channels like with an AAU coach, etc.) and as far as I know, he's not on the market.

How about this guy?

He sounds like one of the German-Americans on the US Soccer team. American dad, German mother.

Hopefully more Fabian Johnson than Jermaine Jones at this point.

How about this guy?

He sounds like one of the German-Americans on the US Soccer team. American dad, German mother.

Hopefully more Fabian Johnson than Jermaine Jones at this point.

I'm still confident Jermaine has a couple months left in him, because he's part of Jurgen's "spine," so he'll be starting come June, and we need him to be a destroyer so Michael Bradley can go forward. But, yes, I'd rather him be more Fabian, since Fabian is in better form now.

Advertisement
Another guy I'd throw out there, and, yes, I'm basically throwing **** against the wall and seeing what sticks, is Sean Obi from Rice. He'd have to sit out a year, but he's transferring after they fired their coach. He's 6-9, 265 and would be a sophomore after sitting out. As a freshman at Rice averaged 11.4 points, 9.3 rebounds, and shot 59% from the field.

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/sean_obi_854237.html

How about this guy?

No to Raffington. Not good enough to compete at this level of competition. Holmes is very intriguing though 6'8-6'9 with range out to the 3 point line, who seems to be athletic and can block shots.

This looks like Coach L's most talented team since he's been here including the 2012-2013 team.

Advertisement
Back