So you sit a year.

SayWhat

Sophomore
Premium
Does anyone think that one of the reasons people may sit this year is so they can actually stay in college another year? I was wondering this as I saw some names that were sitting out, but weren't top talent, maybe not even starters.

I loved college, great times. Some of these young men, this is the best they've ever seen. Compared to where they're from its paradise. You could also probably slow down your course load which would then allow you to have an easier time as you transition through the years.

I doubt anyone will come out and say that's why, but just thought I would put it out there. You basically get another year and it costs you nothing. Developmentally it may even benefit you.

Advertisement
Does anyone think that one of the reasons people may sit this year is so they can actually stay in college another year? I was wondering this as I saw some names that were sitting out, but weren't top talent, maybe not even starters.

I loved college, great times. Some of these young men, this is the best they've ever seen. Compared to where they're from its paradise. You could also probably slow down your course load which would then allow you to have an easier time as you transition through the years.

I doubt anyone will come out and say that's why, but just thought I would put it out there. You basically get another year and it costs you nothing. Developmentally it may even benefit you.

I think some Players only continue to play football to be able to get free college. Not all kids love this game. Many want to quit actually. Now they can opt out and keep their scholarship to finish their degree or party or whatever.

as they say, never let a crisis go to waste.

I think some Players only continue to play football to be able to get free college. Not all kids love this game. Many want to quit actually. Now they can opt out and keep their scholarship to finish their degree or party or whatever.

as they say, never let a crisis go to waste.

For sure there are those who look at it as a means to an end. Whatever the case may be, I think there's some incentives to staying that I haven't seen in normal discussions.

Hopefully they are using the time to catch up or move ahead in their studies so they can graduate...in addition to staying in shape.

I've always been a proponent of 5year student athetic scholarships.

Playing football is a full time very physical job during the season and also in parts of the offseason.

Graduation in a viable field should also be major goal along with having them being on the field.

Advertisement
For sure there are those who look at it as a means to an end. Whatever the case may be, I think there's some incentives to staying that I haven't seen in normal discussions.

I promise you 99% of those who opt out in college isn’t because of the virus.

so far Jamarcus Chatman is the only one to truly say the virus has impacted a person close to him that scared him basically.

As for NFL guys. Man oh man sitting out a full year is so risky. Some of the guys doing it may never see an NFL field again. They aren’t good enough to sit a year and expect to be on a roster next year. It’s a lot more risky when it’s your job.

Been saying it... If you're not going to get any playing time, opt the heck out. It's a free redshirt. I sure wouldn't mind seeing a few 6th year seniors on the OL in a couple years.

I promise you 99% of those who opt out in college isn’t because of the virus.

so far Jamarcus Chatman is the only one to truly say the virus has impacted a person close to him that scared him basically.

As for NFL guys. Man oh man sitting out a full year is so risky. Some of the guys doing it may never see an NFL field again. They aren’t good enough to sit a year and expect to be on a roster next year. It’s a lot more risky when it’s your job.
Xavier Thomas is medical as well.

I can see a kid coming off injury who won’t e full go until the szn starts taking this approach and taking a RS year

Advertisement
Xavier Thomas is medical as well.

I would like to hear more about his situation. Dabo never said it was specifically cause of Covid but all the sissy writers ran with that.

dabo said the kid got Covid and also strep. He is overweight and out of Football shape and struggling. I don’t know how much of that is Covid verse strep which also sucks and him being out of shape lineman.

He had strep before Covid I believe. Either way, it sounds like he's got compromised immune system. I hope he gets better soon.

I’m legitimately surprised GR15 is sitting out when you see guys like Lawrence and Fields stay in. Those guys are risking way more as a QB risk of a football injury IMO. Not only that, those guys have more film and proven.

I didn't account for this originally, but I think there are guys sitting out because they don't want to spend a year of eligibility on what could be a very choppy season and will, most certainly, be played with no fans if played at all. I think there are guys who are opting out because they don't want to play in empty stadiums and risk losing a year of eligibility for 5 games or something.

Advertisement
That’s interesting. I wonder if the season is cut short would they still count it as a season. I know it has been reported that Manny thinks they will allow 6 games to redshirt.

I didn't account for this originally, but I think there are guys sitting out because they don't want to spend a year of eligibility on what could be a very choppy season and will, most certainly, be played with no fans if played at all. I think there are guys who are opting out because they don't want to play in empty stadiums and risk losing a year of eligibility for 5 games or something.
I would think the NCAA would give everyone on extra year if the season is cut short at say 5 games. The NFL guys will still leave regardless. We will still have our idiots leaving to be undrafted lol Maybe they could increase the scholarship limit for a year and let the non NFL kids finish their careers properly.

I tell you what I would have ABSOLUTELY done this unless of course I was projected in the draft as high as GR15 then I would be sitting out for a totally different reason.

Advertisement
I would think the NCAA would give everyone on extra year if the season is cut short at say 5 games. The NFL guys will still leave regardless. We will still have our idiots leaving to be undrafted lol Maybe they could increase the scholarship limit for a year and let the non NFL kids finish their careers properly.

The problem the NCAA would run into in that scenario is numbers.

Letting guys play an extra year means teams will either exceed 85 next year or be forced to take much less than 25 ICs.

If they take less ICs to stay at 85, then you have a bigger senior class moving on, as well as transfers and early entries. There's no way some teams would be able to fill that hole with a cap of 25 ICs. They would have to make an exception.

Advertisement
Back