Since 14 game win streak

Advertisement
Only thing we can hope for is this rough stretch is waking up the team from the high horse they were riding.

We have to get more from Ligon and Rosario(doubt it with this kid).

It’s sad because we have such a weapon in walters if you could just get it to him by at least the 8th

This team certainly has the potential to make a strong run in this tournament. There are a few things we absolutely have to be better at:

1. We have to clean up the defense, way too many errors
2. Consistency out of the bullpen. We seen last night that we simply cannot rely solely on Z and Walters. Gallo looks really good right now, and going into the tournament play we are going to find out who those bullpen guys are going to be
3. Consistency at the plate, I just do not understand how we can be very aggressive one game and just hit snooze the next game. Gino had some very bad coaching tendencies at times, and I feel these things have shown there ugly head from time to time this season. When we play aggressive on both sides of the ball we seem to have way more success

This team certainly has the potential to make a strong run in this tournament. There are a few things we absolutely have to be better at:

2. Consistency out of the bullpen. We seen last night that we simply cannot rely solely on Z and Walters. Gallo looks really good right now, and going into the tournament play we are going to find out who those bullpen guys are going to be
3. Consistency at the plate, I just do not understand how we can be very aggressive one game and just hit snooze the next game. Gino had some very bad coaching tendencies at times, and I feel these things have shown there ugly head from time to time this season. When we play aggressive on both sides of the ball we seem to have way more success 4. We need significantly better coaching in 3 key areas: offense, pitching, and defense

there. FIFY

Advertisement
Lmao
So its the coaches fault when we commit errors?
No

If you can't pin errors on the coaches, then you also can't blame them for base running mistakes, passed balls, walks, or poor swings. And if that's your philosophy, then coaches really only recruit and make the lineup. But of course that isn't true.

Some programs are really good on defense every year. Some programs have great pitching every year. Some programs have a great OBP every year. So they are either recruiting better or coaching better, but it is absolutely on the coaches.

Serious question: do you really not think that defense can be coached?

If you can't pin errors on the coaches, then you also can't blame them for base running mistakes, passed balls, walks, or poor swings. And if that's your philosophy, then coaches really only recruit and make the lineup. But of course that isn't true.

Some programs are really good on defense every year. Some programs have great pitching every year. Some programs have a great OBP every year. So they are either recruiting better or coaching better, but it is absolutely on the coaches.

Serious question: do you really not think that defense can be coached?
Of course, but this is D1 baseball, those players are in position to make the plays. Coaches don't execute the plays for them. Those kids wouldn't be there if they couldn't make the play. We have to execute better

Of course, but this is D1 baseball, those players are in position to make the plays. Coaches don't execute the plays for them. Those kids wouldn't be there if they couldn't make the play. We have to execute better

It's still a matter of culture. Why do some teams execute better than we do? You either demand execution or you find different players. But we've gone through a 20 year cycle of poor execution in multiple aspects of the game. Are we just unlucky?

Advertisement
It's still a matter of culture. Why do some teams execute better than we do? You either demand execution or you find different players. But we've gone through a 20 year cycle of poor execution in multiple aspects of the game. Are we just unlucky?
Jagr it’s Groundhog Day on here again man. I swear it’s like we live in a parallel universe. Year after year, we watch this team struggle defensively, have no clue on the base paths, and have a terrible approach…. And guys still year after year come in and say “do the coaches make the errors?”

You would think at this point the fanbase would get it, but I guess not.

Year 10 of this stuff for me on this board

Last edited:
This is it for me right here, the demanding execution. I get the "these are college baseball players so make plays" attitude some here have, and on a micro-level you're right... but that misses the bigger picture. When there is a lack of accountability within any organization the culture becomes rotten. Players have been allowed to repeatedly make the same mistakes, same mental errors, same lack of execution for 15 years and it shows up in big moments against good teams that do demand accountability and execution. Combine that with the type of recruiting that we regularly do (travel ball all stars that have never been demanded to pay attention to details and execution in their lives) and you get this. A talented team that will get it's share of wins but continue to fall short in big moments that require more than just talent. It should come as no surprise at this point.

Last edited:
Miami is ranked 141 out of 293 D1 baseball teams in team fielding percentage. (They are tied with about 14 other teams at .969) The are ranked 7 out of 14 teams in the ACC in FP. So they are fairly consistent sitting on the top of the bell curve and hanging with the 50th percentile crowd. Of course, not all D1 programs are created equally, so you'd expect better from them compared to a Prairie View.

Advertisement
Miami is ranked 141 out of 293 D1 baseball teams in team fielding percentage. (They are tied with about 14 other teams at .969) The are ranked 7 out of 14 teams in the ACC in FP. So they are fairly consistent sitting on the top of the bell curve and hanging with the 50th percentile crowd. Of course, not all D1 programs are created equally, so you'd expect better from them compared to a Prairie View.
The old addage "defense wins championships" comes to mind. Can't give up extra outs come tournament time (or any other time for that matter)

While its fair for a coach to demand execution, I get that. He still doesnt play the game for them.

We're not that far off. We still have a very good team.

I think Yoyo has played a great 5 all season, while 4, 6 & 9 have been very inconsistent in the field. 9 you can get away with sometimes, especially if you have an arm out there. But 4 & 6 absolutely have to be better, whatever it takes from coaching, will, whatever.

I've also noticed MRom has been careless behind the plate late in the season.

Advertisement
This 3 game series is this team and coaching staff's biggest test in Gino's head coaching career, because it's all there for the taking if we just play well. Pleeeeease score first tonight guys - playing from behind late in the season w hitters slumping and vs decent pitching is a recipe for series losses.

11-10

Also 1-4 in our last 5. Want to feel even worse look at our record our last 5 ACC series.

VT 18-3 in their last 21 games.

We are 10-9.

I hate to say it but this seems to be one of those teams that just got hot at the wrong time.

Before the 14 game win streak we were 13-6.

Who knows what the rest of the season holds but this sure does have the look of a team not getting out of the regional.

I mentioned during the 14 game win streak, I was enjoying it & it was fun to be apart of, but I’m waiting for Gino to do Gino things. We’ve had a tendency to start off hot, & then fall short, stumbling down the finish line.

3. Consistency at the plate, I just do not understand how we can be very aggressive one game and just hit snooze the next game. Gino had some very bad coaching tendencies at times, and I feel these things have shown there ugly head from time to time this season. When we play aggressive on both sides of the ball we seem to have way more success
#1 you need 5 innings out of Ligon and Rosario where they give up no more than 3 runs.

Advertisement
Back