Simpson's Buford connections leads to UM offer for WR Bond

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Earlier this month, 2022 Buford (GA) 3-star WR Isaiah Bond earned an offer from the Miami Hurricanes after receiving a call from WR coach Rob Likens and DL coach Jess Simpson.

“Coach Likens and coach Simpson got on the phone with me, they were telling me they liked what they saw from my film, and then just let me know the good news,” Bond said. “Knowing how great of a program they have and all the history, plus a great educational opportunity, it was a blessing to get an offer from Miami. Coach Likens was telling me that as soon as the dead period ends, they want to get me down there for sure.”

Although he plays both CB and WR, the Canes see Bond’s future on the offensive side of the ball at the next level.

Although Likens will serve as Bond’s primary recruiter and his potential future position coach, there is a good reason Simpson was on the call as well. Simpson is considered royalty over at Buford High where Bond plays, as Simpson served as defensive coordinator and strength coach at Buford from 1995-2004 and then took over as head coach of the program from 2005-2016. In 12 years as the Buford head coach, Simpson won seven Georgia state titles and compiled a record of 164-12.

“This was my first time really talking with [Simpson] one-on-one, but he is a legend at Buford. He’s been gone for a few years now but he’s a guy everyone still talks about,” Bond said. “He still comes back around the program when he has time and he’s in the area. He was just telling me that he’s heard a lot about me and that he thinks I’d be a great fit for what they’re trying to build there at Miami. It’s great knowing another Buford guy is there at Miami for me to lean on if I ever needed anything.”

While Bond can rely on Simpson to learn more about Miami from a big picture perspective, he also has a resource on the ground at UM that can tell him what day-to-day life is like as a player.

“I heard it’s a great city, the weather is nice,” Bond said of UM. “I don’t know too much about [Miami], but I do have a friend that goes to Miami, Jalar Holley, so I’m probably going to be asking him some questions about how it is.”

Holley was also a member of the Buford Wolves at the same time as Bond, and Holley was actually recruited to UM by Simpson in the 2019 class during the Miami DL coach’s first stint in Coral Gables.

“I was a freshman on varsity when he was a senior, so we got to play on the same team,” Bond said of Holley. “We’re good friends since everyone that comes through Buford has a close bond with each other, that’s what we preach at Buford High School.”

The 6’0” 175-pound prospect has yet to take a visit during his recruiting process, and that became an even more difficult endeavor with the NCAA announcing just yesterday that they will be pushing back the dead period another month through the end of May.

“My next visit may end up being where I go to school at honestly with the way things are going (with the dead period),” Bond said. “If they keep pushing it back, I may just have to make a decision, because I don’t want to wait too long and have my scholarship dry up. Right now, I plan on committing before my senior season starts.”

And Bond has plenty of opportunities from colleges around the country, culminating in him landing 12 FBS offers in the past month alone. He lists Nebraska, Wake Forest, Duke, and Syracuse as schools that are currently standing out to him and are in contact with him the most, while Bond also recently received a bid from Wisconsin as well.

“I’m looking for a school where I have great connections with the coaches,” Bond said. “Also, a great school environment, and a school that can take me to the next level of my football career is very key.”

He credits the influx of college attention to his junior season on the field, where he felt like he radically improved his game during Buford’s state title run in 2020.

“This year was definitely an electrifying year for me on the field and my film. With my input and output on and off the field, it definitely was a big year for me,” Bond said. “My mindset on the field is just to be the best. When people watch the games, I want them to point to me and say ‘That’s the best player they have’, that type of mindset. Also I’m a playmaker, it’s fun to see what coverages people throw at me after they watch my film and see how I play.”

At the National Combine in Texas in January 2020, Bond was clocked at a 4.74 40-yard dash, a 4.33 shuttle, and a 32-inch vertical.

Advertisement
Earlier this month, 2022 Buford (GA) 3-star WR Isaiah Bond earned an offer from the Miami Hurricanes after receiving a call from WR coach Rob Likens and DL coach Jess Simpson.

“Coach Likens and coach Simpson got on the phone with me, they were telling me they liked what they saw from my film, and then just let me know the good news,” Bond said. “Knowing how great of a program they have and all the history, plus a great educational opportunity, it was a blessing to get an offer from Miami. Coach Likens was telling me that as soon as the dead period ends, they want to get me down there for sure.”

Although he plays both CB and WR, the Canes see Bond’s future on the offensive side of the ball at the next level.

Although Likens will serve as Bond’s primary recruiter and his potential future position coach, there is a good reason Simpson was on the call as well. Simpson is considered royalty over at Buford High where Bond plays, as Simpson served as defensive coordinator and strength coach at Buford from 1995-2004 and then took over as head coach of the program from 2005-2016. In 12 years as the Buford head coach, Simpson won seven Georgia state titles and compiled a record of 164-12.

“This was my first time really talking with [Simpson] one-on-one, but he is a legend at Buford. He’s been gone for a few years now but he’s a guy everyone still talks about,” Bond said. “He still comes back around the program when he has time and he’s in the area. He was just telling me that he’s heard a lot about me and that he thinks I’d be a great fit for what they’re trying to build there at Miami. It’s great knowing another Buford guy is there at Miami for me to lean on if I ever needed anything.”

While Bond can rely on Simpson to learn more about Miami from a big picture perspective, he also has a resource on the ground at UM that can tell him what day-to-day life is like as a player.

“I heard it’s a great city, the weather is nice,” Bond said of UM. “I don’t know too much about [Miami], but I do have a friend that goes to Miami, Jalar Holley, so I’m probably going to be asking him some questions about how it is.”

Holley was also a member of the Buford Wolves at the same time as Bond, and Holley was actually recruited to UM by Simpson in the 2019 class during the Miami DL coach’s first stint in Coral Gables.

“I was a freshman on varsity when he was a senior, so we got to play on the same team,” Bond said of Holley. “We’re good friends since everyone that comes through Buford has a close bond with each other, that’s what we preach at Buford High School.”

The 6’0” 175-pound prospect has yet to take a visit during his recruiting process, and that became an even more difficult endeavor with the NCAA announcing just yesterday that they will be pushing back the dead period another month through the end of May.

“My next visit may end up being where I go to school at honestly with the way things are going (with the dead period),” Bond said. “If they keep pushing it back, I may just have to make a decision, because I don’t want to wait too long and have my scholarship dry up. Right now, I plan on committing before my senior season starts.”

And Bond has plenty of opportunities from colleges around the country, culminating in him landing 12 FBS offers in the past month alone. He lists Nebraska, Wake Forest, Duke, and Syracuse as schools that are currently standing out to him and are in contact with him the most, while Bond also recently received a bid from Wisconsin as well.

“I’m looking for a school where I have great connections with the coaches,” Bond said. “Also, a great school environment, and a school that can take me to the next level of my football career is very key.”

He credits the influx of college attention to his junior season on the field, where he felt like he radically improved his game during Buford’s state title run in 2020.

“This year was definitely an electrifying year for me on the field and my film. With my input and output on and off the field, it definitely was a big year for me,” Bond said. “My mindset on the field is just to be the best. When people watch the games, I want them to point to me and say ‘That’s the best player they have’, that type of mindset. Also I’m a playmaker, it’s fun to see what coverages people throw at me after they watch my film and see how I play.”

At the National Combine in Texas in January 2020, Bond was clocked at a 4.74 40-yard dash, a 4.33 shuttle, and a 32-inch vertical.

Bond. Isaiah Bond. Shaken and stirred pass catching skills

Advertisement
I think this kid is crazy underrated as a WR. He has the build to play on either side and looks good on defense too. But I can see why they like him on offense.

Those are explosive numbers for a junior. A laser 4.7 with a 32 inch vert is extremely athletic. The kid will be a 4.5 jumping through the roof in no time.

Advertisement
Baga gets all their WR and DB from SoFl/FL. Why pursue a slow OOS WR.

You realize that 4.74 is a laser time form his sophomore year, right?
He also runs track and his 2019-2020 PR times (sophomore season) were as follows:

55 Meter Dash, 6.71 (2019).
60 Meter Dash, 7.00 (2020, and a .21s improvement from his 2019 time).
Outdoor 100 Meter Dash, 11.45 (2019).
Outdoor 200 Meter Dash, 22.27 (2020).

For a kid 15-16 years old, that's not "slow".

Between this post and your post in the Blissett Interview thread, you may want to just take a day or day off CIS.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Those are explosive numbers for a junior. A laser 4.7 with a 32 inch vert is extremely athletic. The kid will be a 4.5 jumping through the roof in no time.
I don’t think a 32” vertical is extremely athletic for a top WR recruit. Not crapping on him by saying so, he may have solid speed and other traits.

Advertisement
Back