Shaq

Canes101

Thunderdome
If all goes according to plan, Orange Park (FL) Oakleaf High School Class of 2016 LB and Cane commitment Shaquille Quarterman plans to be on UM's campus about a year from now.

"I'm trying to gradate early - I'm already working toward it," he said. "By the end of this year everything should be locked in."

Quarterman's former teammate, Darrion Owens, did the same thing when he became a Cane.

"Darrion, we stay in touch," Quarterman said. "He told me it's a matter of getting stronger, faster and even smarter in the game (to succeed in college). He told me it's a complete step forward from high school football, that everyone has your size, that the key is having better technique."

Quarterman says he talks "often" with Hurricane coach Hurlie Brown.

"It's great to talk to him," Quarterman said. "He asks about my family, it's not always about the X's and O's. I can't wait for him to coach me, teach me what he knows about the game."

Quarterman says he plans to take five official visits next year, and he says Auburn and Florida will be two of those.

"I'm not sure of the other ones," he said.

He adds that "I'm solid with Miami definitely."

Of what he likes about the Cane program, Quarterman said, "Just the tradition they have there, and the coaching staff they have and the players - they have everything there. I feel Miami's the perfect place for me. I love their defensive scheme and it feels like home."

So what went wrong for UM this year?

"They had a true freshman quarterback who did real well, but there are many games lost on certain big plays," Quarterman said. "They just have to work on doing the little things right."

He adds that "down the road they can be a great team, a championship team like they used to be, and I see them doing that."

Advertisement
Thank goodness for kids like shaq! We need more guys with his mentality! Gonna be awesome to see him in a canes uni!

Shaq is a great player and sounds like a great kid. Luckily for him, this coaching turmoil will have to be resolved by the time he gets here. He should have 3-4 years under a new staff when there's reason to be optimistic about the program again.

Shaq is a program changing recruit, enrolling early gives him a legit chance to start day 1 and he should

Advertisement
He is definite cane a day love how he talks, my question is why does it seem we have such a hold on the 2016 kids like everything i read they love miami

His high school coach, former UF player, was on radio in Jax a couple weeks ago. Said Shaq loves Miami and cant wait to get there. Said he was trying to graduate early to get there as soon as possible. He also said Owens absolutely loves it.

Advertisement
Back