Semi-OT: Ranking the ACC Schools for HC from Coaches Perspective

Shogungts

Junior
Premium
Listened to a podcast this morning where the hosts had to rank ACC schools in terms of attractiveness for a head coach and thought it was entertaining enough on its own, but it was also interesting to get the view of Miami from national college football particularly when it comes to advantages and challenges that Miami faces with recruiting.

The setup for the rankings is a follows:

- The head coach position of every ACC school is open as every current ACC head coach has left (so for example, if you didn't choose Clemson you wouldn't be coaching against Dabo)
- You get to inherit the current roster
- Which is the best based on a 5 year outlook

I found it interesting listening to their thoughts on why some schools where better than others, and they took into account all sorts of things like recruiting location, current roster, expectations, competition within your region, etc. They ranked every team and other than their thoughts on Miami it was probably more interesting to hear their middle of the pack rankings. This is what they had for their top 4:

1) Clemson
2) Miami
3) FSU
4) UNC

I am not sure that I would have FSU that high given the current state of things, but could see if they are looking at it as a 5 year thing and taking a bit more history into it.

I agree that Miami is #2 although one of them made the case that Miami could be #3 as even though Miami has such a huge recruiting advantage due to location, there is also the politics that we need to offer kids early and then it is much harder for us to pull those offers than for other schools w/o ****ing off high school coaches. I think the location helps not just with recruiting, but Manny seems to be walking the line better than some of our past coaches in regards to offers, but I would love to get the perspective of the more connected posters on this site.

Here is the full podcast if anyone wants to listen: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...EwjHsbbyuOzuAhXXFFkFHZ9WAUkQieUEegQIBxAF&ep=6

And yes I know that Andy Staples went to UF, but that didn't factor into the discussion.

Advertisement
Never stop posting this.

P.S. for those who don't get the joke, check out RyanMoody21 on YouTube, the guy who does Madden edits and ***** on EA every chance he gets for their horrible quality and lack of football simulation. There's a guy who always comments on his videos saying never stop making these.
So @Go Canes!! NEVER STOP POSTING THIS

TALK IT INTO EXISTENCE

Advertisement
The Top 4 in the OP makes sense.

Clemson has a top 5 roster and the infra$tructure to maintain the level of the program. The school will spend whatever is necessary to win.

Miami’s primary issue has been a lack of willingness to spend. This seems to have changed some.

FSU hit bottom, like Miami (worse than the Canes, actually) but given their history there’s no reason the right HC can’t turn the program back into a power, assuming the financial commitment was there.

UNC at 4. Fine.

Never stop posting this.

P.S. for those who don't get the joke, check out RyanMoody21 on YouTube, the guy who does Madden edits and ***** on EA every chance he gets for their horrible quality and lack of football simulation. There's a guy who always comments on his videos saying never stop making these.
So @Go Canes!! NEVER STOP POSTING THIS

TALK IT INTO EXISTENCE

I'm not trying to snatch credit here, but I do want to point out @Go Canes!! was posting some uncertain and defeatist "12-0" ****e on this board until I lit a fire under his **** a few weeks ago and helped him get his mind right.

Listened to a podcast this morning where the hosts had to rank ACC schools in terms of attractiveness for a head coach and thought it was entertaining enough on its own, but it was also interesting to get the view of Miami from national college football particularly when it comes to advantages and challenges that Miami faces with recruiting.

The setup for the rankings is a follows:

- The head coach position of every ACC school is open as every current ACC head coach has left (so for example, if you didn't choose Clemson you wouldn't be coaching against Dabo)
- You get to inherit the current roster
- Which is the best based on a 5 year outlook

I found it interesting listening to their thoughts on why some schools where better than others, and they took into account all sorts of things like recruiting location, current roster, expectations, competition within your region, etc. They ranked every team and other than their thoughts on Miami it was probably more interesting to hear their middle of the pack rankings. This is what they had for their top 4:

1) Clemson
2) Miami
3) FSU
4) UNC

I am not sure that I would have FSU that high given the current state of things, but could see if they are looking at it as a 5 year thing and taking a bit more history into it.

I agree that Miami is #2 although one of them made the case that Miami could be #3 as even though Miami has such a huge recruiting advantage due to location, there is also the politics that we need to offer kids early and then it is much harder for us to pull those offers than for other schools w/o ****ing off high school coaches. I think the location helps not just with recruiting, but Manny seems to be walking the line better than some of our past coaches in regards to offers, but I would love to get the perspective of the more connected posters on this site.

Here is the full podcast if anyone wants to listen: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...EwjHsbbyuOzuAhXXFFkFHZ9WAUkQieUEegQIBxAF&ep=6

And yes I know that Andy Staples went to UF, but that didn't factor into the discussion.

From the perspective of a HC, I would have Forfeit State out of the top 4. I would have taken into account how broke Forfeit State is and the buyout they'll have to pay Nobsmell in a couple years (after the huge buyout they had to crowdsource for Willy).

Taking that into consideration and realizing they can't afford to pay another quality HC a competitive salary, the job becomes far less attractive.

Advertisement
I'm not trying to snatch credit here, but I do want to point out @Go Canes!! was posting some uncertain and defeatist "12-0" ****e on this board until I lit a fire under his **** a few weeks ago and helped him get his mind right.

When it comes to fruition in all it's glory you will be included in my acceptance speech for greatest prediction in CIS history.

Clemson is always gonna be #1 until somebody beats them or Dabo leaves. Miami and FSU are gonna be 2/3 bc of perception and potential. The top three will never change IMO. Weve been down for two decades and are still constantly mentioned as preseason coastal favorites. UNC will be #4 as long as Mack keeps recruiting good QBs. A few years ago VT or Louisville would be in this spot. There are no other guarantees in the ACC.

Clemson is always gonna be #1 until somebody beats them or Dabo leaves. Miami and FSU are gonna be 2/3 bc of perception and potential. The top three will never change IMO. Weve been down for two decades and are still constantly mentioned as preseason coastal favorites. UNC will be #4 as long as Mack keeps recruiting good QBs. A few years ago VT or Louisville would be in this spot. There are no other guarantees in the ACC.
I agree with your take, but in this case the scenario is that all ACC coaches leave. So whatever job you pick, you are going up against 13 other new coaches. I don't think that changes the rankings, but rather just the reasons.

I would flip UNC and FSU at this point. There's still some rebuilding to do there for FSU's roster to be where it needs to be, and the school doesn't have the funds at the moment to spend big like they did in the Jimbo years.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back