Sebastian's near arrest at the FSU game in 1989

sebastiansbill

Thunderdome
As a guy who names my username after Sebastian this story really gets my blood boiling against FSU. I don't know if you've ever heard about this story or not. In 1989, Sebastian was going to go on the field against the Noles to extinguish the dangerous fire hazard Osceola creates every game. Instead the Tally police beat Sebastian up before he even got out of the tunnel and were about to arrest him before they decided at the last second that arresting Sebastian would be bad PR. They still didn't let Sebastian go on the field the whole game. In 1991, they banned Sebastian from the field again. And apparently FSU still wastes a police officer every 2 years to make sure Sebastian stays off the field while Osceola's creating his dangerous fire hazard. Jesus.

24 years ago the Miami Hurricanes mascot was detained before the Florida State game | For The Win

Advertisement
Routh was the best Sebastian. The plunger spear was great as well. Still remember him crowd surfing as well, the dude was awesome.

Advertisement
Thanks for posting the link to the article, I've seen the picture but didn't know the whole story or that Routh is now the director of the HOF, will have to try and get a pic with him next time I'm on campus.

Didn't he sign a big contract to become the first Billy the Marlin? Well, big as far as mascots go...

Advertisement
I was at that game.. I ****ing hated that game.

Still think we win that game if Craig was healthy.

That '89 team was my favorite national championship Miami team. Miami's DL in '89 was arguably the best in college football history.

Gino just wasn't ready for a setting like that as a RFrosh.

Found the video from the DVD/Blu-ray on youtube:
[video=youtube;WmDjZHQTGvU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmDjZHQTGvU[/video]

Routh actually got shot in the face in the French Quarter just before one of the Sugar Bowls. If you've ever been to N.O. around New Years, the townspeople start shooting off guns into the atmosphere. They stupidly think the bullets go into orbit and don't come down. Well, one came down and bounced into Routh's cheek. He was OK, though.

I remember that must have been the same Sugar Bowl where I read on USA Today on the plane flying in how a sports reporter from one of the big papers checked out of his room on a certain floor in the same hotel (the one near the Sugar Bowl) because he was sitting one afternoon typing and a bullet came crashing into his room on such and such a floor.

Well, when I got into the same hotel later in the day, they checked me in to a room on the same floor. They were pretty filled up, so I immediately became concerned that they gave me the only vacant room, the one just vacated by the scared reporter. When we get up to the room, the bellhop wondered why I'm checking all the walls, windows, and pulling aside the drapes. I turned to him and said, "Oh, just checking for bullet holes."

Gave him his tip....don't know what was going through his mind. At least I didn't ask him to find me a hooker.

Routh actually got shot in the face in the French Quarter just before one of the Sugar Bowls. If you've ever been to N.O. around New Years, the townspeople start shooting off guns into the atmosphere. They stupidly think the bullets go into orbit and don't come down. Well, one came down and bounced into Routh's cheek. He was OK, though.

I remember that must have been the same Sugar Bowl where I read on USA Today on the plane flying in how a sports reporter from one of the big papers checked out of his room on a certain floor in the same hotel (the one near the Sugar Bowl) because he was sitting one afternoon typing and a bullet came crashing into his room on such and such a floor.

Well, when I got into the same hotel later in the day, they checked me in to a room on the same floor. They were pretty filled up, so I immediately became concerned that they gave me the only vacant room, the one just vacated by the scared reporter. When we get up to the room, the bellhop wondered why I'm checking all the walls, windows, and pulling aside the drapes. I turned to him and said, "Oh, just checking for bullet holes."

Gave him his tip....don't know what was going through his mind. At least I didn't ask him to find me a hooker.

I'm pretty sure that happened at the 1992 Sugar Bowl, where we got clobbered by Alabama.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back