Sean Spence - Some good news

BigCaneAl

Senior
Premium
Getting his first start this weekend! Great news.

ESPN:

Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler told Spence Wednesday morning that the 5-foot-11, 231-pounder will start in place of Ryan Shazier, who is nursing a sprained knee, against the visiting Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

It had to be particularly gratifying for Butler to deliver that news to Spence.

It was Butler, after all, who said in April of 2013 that it would be a “miracle” if Spence ever played again.

“The tunnel was dark for me for a long time, but I stayed positive and Steelers Nation stayed behind me,” said Spence, who shredded his left knee in a 2012 preseason game and dislocated his knee cap while also sustaining nerve damage. “I finally get to get some good quality reps on defense.”

Spence actually got those last Sunday night when he replaced the injured Shazier in the third quarter of the Steelers' 37-19 win over the Carolina Panthers.

And the 2012 third-round pick played well enough to earn the start this week with Shazier already declared out against the Buccaneers.

Spence recorded three tackles against Carolina, including one when he tripped up Cam Newton after the Panthers quarterback had escaped a collapsing pocket. Newton had a lot of grass in front of him when he started to scramble, but Spence limited him to a 5-yard gain.

Spence, who logged a career-high 35 snaps last Sunday night, said his play in Carolina proved “that I can play in the National Football League. I hadn’t done it in two years, and the preseason doesn’t really count and Sunday night counted. I think I held up pretty well.”

Spence will probably make more than a few calls after his work day is finished.

His parents are at the top of the list of people with whom he wants to share his latest good news. Spence will also call former Steelers linebacker Larry Foote, who is now playing for the Arizona Cardinals, at some point.

“I talk to Larry every week. He’s like a big brother to me,” Spence said. “He mentored me when he was here, not only in football but life.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-...-steelers-sean-spence-to-make-first-nfl-start

Advertisement
He and Duke are the two players who I would have loved to see play with better talent and coaching around them.

I watched Spence every play last week after Shazier got hurt. He's #51 now. Looked very familiar. Active and instinctive, although strange to see a Steeler linebacker with a small frame. But heck, Shazier is narrow also.

I was pleased there wasn't an obvious drop off in quickness or speed, and that he wasn't favoring or protecting that knee. I appreciated that the other Steeler players enthusiastically congratulated Spence after each good play. Pittsburgh was winning handily on the road and enjoying it. Spence was in coverage late fourth quarter and after a deep sideline pass was incomplete he reached out to Polamalu and extended his hand. Polamalu slapped his hand aggressively. It was at that point I realized Spence was determined to fit in and let the other players know they could count on him.

Advertisement
Really pulling for Spence. He was a guy who went through a lot of garbage while here, and he always played his balls off.

my favorite player from the vaunted 2008 class that ended up being a disappointment, will never forget his pick 6 against FSU. he wasn't the biggest linebacker in the world, but boy were his instincts top notch and his tackling technique was great...he used to sniff plays out before they even started.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back