Sean Salisbury

Advertisement
**** SEAN when we had the FIU brawl he wanted the school shutdown etc....

He and Gary Danielson are ******* frauds that were ****** Qbs to boot

Last edited:
Advertisement
I knew Salisbury in college. Well, for one year. I was a few years ahead of him.

When USC signed him, it was a big deal. Very highly rated. I did the recruiting coverage for the Daily Trojan. The sports information director gave me the number to Salisbury's home in Utah. His mom gave me some great quotes that night, on national signing day. She said Sean wasn't available, that he was playing basketball on the courts at their church. She said, "We don't understand the commotion. To us, he's just another kid with dirty clothes."

The following fall I met Sean on campus. He was wide eyed and calling me "sir." I was reading the sports section of the Los Angeles Times. He asked me what it said about the Trojan football team.

Gad, did it change quickly. By later that fall Salisbury already had a reputation for goofing around and locker room humor. I wasn't surprised by his downfall several years ago. That was his favorite topic as a freshman at USC. Nothing changed in 30 years.

The following spring there was a heated battle for the USC starting quarterback position, and a strange twist. Salisbury said he wasn't content to sit for a second season behind incumbent John Mazur, who was only a year ahead of him. At the beginning of those spring drills Salisbury was whining, and threatened to transfer if he didn't get the starting job coming out of spring. I saw Mazur sitting in the balcony of a USC volleyball match. I repeated Salisbury's quotes to him. Mazur was surprised, and provided some great material. "If you threaten something like that, to me I lose respect. It means you aren't tough."

I raced back to the Daily Trojan offices to get those quotes in print the next day. The editor loved it. Big news on campus. The athletic department hated it. They wanted everything to be nice and cozy, to follow the party line. The student writers who penned the "total team effort" fluff were their favorites. That didn't describe me, not even close, so there was always some tension, respect combined with tension.

Before they appeared in print, I told Salisbury about Mazur's quotes. He was a bit startled and tried to soften his stance. Weeks later that situation ended up with an unexpected turn. Salisbury's threats may have worked. He was named starter, even though it didn't look clear cut coming out of spring. Salisbury appeared to have higher upside.

Mazur apparently was stunned and bitter. He quickly bolted the program, transferring to Texas A&M. He started for a while but had a rather undistinguished career as an Aggie. Along the way, he dumped some unflattering comparisons of USC compared to Texas A&M's program and how he was treated there.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back