Scrimmage: Friday 1/19/24

Advertisement
These are not making me feel any better. I was trying to be optimistic and think this may be one of those less talented but hard nosed scrappy teams.

I hope I’m wayyyyyy off but I’m 44…this may be in the running for worst team in my lifetime.

And NJIT isn’t a tuneup this year. All three of their conf starters are 4th/5th year guys with a ton of innings and good enough stuff to slow us down. This team will be in a battle every weekend if our pitching is as subpar as we expect.

Pitchers continue to regress or not develop at all for the most part.…let’s hope Herick can be a good 2/3. Hopefully him and Ziehl can give us 6 sometimes 7 good innings every weekend.

These are not making me feel any better. I was trying to be optimistic and think this may be one of those less talented but hard nosed scrappy teams.

I hope I’m wayyyyyy off but I’m 44…this may be in the running for worst team in my lifetime.

And NJIT isn’t a tuneup this year. All three of their conf starters are 4th/5th year guys with a ton of innings and good enough stuff to slow us down. This team will be in a battle every weekend if our pitching is as subpar as we expect.

Pitchers continue to regress or not develop at all for the most part.…let’s hope Herick can be a good 2/3. Hopefully him and Ziehl can give us 6 sometimes 7 good innings every weekend.
IMG_3625.jpeg

I have the lowest of expectations for the season, but there is a case for optimism if you want one. The position player drop off wasn’t as bad as I expected. Unlike 17-18, we have a special hitter in Cyr, and Carrier could be if he really does take the next step. From the freshmen, toss in Cuvet, and I really liked Kulikowski the little I saw in the fall.

I think with Gage, Rafe, and Herick we may actually be able to put out a decent rotation for once. Nick Robert didn’t pitch well the day I saw him, but the feedback on him was really good. Maybe he actually gives us a midweek starter.

The bullpen, as Pitcher in the Rye posted that JD acknowledged, is a massive concern. You’ve got Scinta. The hopeful case is that the staff has the potential to get better as the season goes on. TJ recovery isn’t a smooth or linear process, but Crowther, Walters, and Caba are all guys that could help you. I remember hearing after Caba’s lone appearance last preseason that the hitters thought he was tough to face. I’m not telling you anything you don’t know, but he wouldn’t be back off TJ if the staff didn’t like him. If, huge if, we survive the first half of the season, maybe they help the staff round out, and we get hot late against the “softer” part of the schedule.

@scane thats the approach I’ll take because I want to get to Omaha again someday so bad.

But my head is telling me we don’t have any elite talent and no one seems to be developing into a surprise. We’ve got Cyr who is very good and then some nice players. I’ll give the Freshman a year before we see if the hype matched, maybe a gem in the class, or more kids who seem to be maxed. I’m not overly excited about any of them. Hopefully this new staff takes freshman and squeezes every last bit out of them.

But I’ll be watching from Day one and convincing myself if we can just get into regionals you never know.

Advertisement
@scane thats the approach I’ll take because I want to get to Omaha again someday so bad.

But my head is telling me we don’t have any elite talent and no one seems to be developing into a surprise. We’ve got Cyr who is very good and then some nice players. I’ll give the Freshman a year before we see if the hype matched, maybe a gem in the class, or more kids who seem to be maxed. I’m not overly excited about any of them. Hopefully this new staff takes freshman and squeezes every last bit out of them.

But I’ll be watching from Day one and convincing myself if we can just get into regionals you never know.

Cyr absolutely is elite (he's a pre-season AA). And we'll be a good hitting team. But there's a dropoff from last year and the bullpen will be an adventure.

We're better than that 2018 team, but I think making the NCAAT isn't a given.

I have full belief herick will be our ace this season

Haven't been on this board as much lately. Do anyone have a lineup and rotation prediction heading into the season? Def concerned about this yr. Lost a lot...Hopefully this season isn't as bad as Jim Morris last couple

Advertisement

I think his preview is pretty accurate on who is going to play what position in my opinion.

Thats about how I had it laid out in my mind. Interesting to see how the outfield shakes out with Costello there as well. Also if there will be 1 set guy getting most of the looks at DH or if they will rotate...pitching staff is concerning for sure. Hopefully 1 of 2 guys step up along with Ziehl

Advertisement
Back