Saw Something Encouraging Last Night: Shaq

MiamiVice7

Senior
Can't remember exactly when, but I believe it was the second half. Things were starting to get away from us but I saw 55 make some plays and show fight. There was a particular sequence where he he made some plays and looked fired up like he was pushing back against the inevitable with everything he had. Looked like his true character coming through despite the circumstances.

What struck me is he appeared to be doing all he could to impose his will and not concede to defeat. He was not willing to accept losing or less then 100% effort. It really stood out to me.

I thought of this because of another thread talking about a few guys who didn't seem to care and referencing a larger culture problem. But here is a freshman, the future of the program and a leader, showing just the kind of thing we need more of.

At this point I'm focused on the long game, and that really made an impression on me.

In the middle of what was feeling like SOS (same old ****), that jumped off the screen because it looked...different.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Can't remember exactly when, but I believe it was the second half. Things were starting to get away from us but I saw 55 make some plays and show fight.

What struck me is he appeared to be doing all he could to impose his will and not concede to defeat. He was not willing to accept losing or less then 100% effort. It really stood out to me.

I thought of this because of another thread talking about a few guys who didn't seem to care and referencing a larger culture problem. But here is a freshman, the future of the program and a leader, showing just the kind of thing we need more of.

At this point I'm focused on the long game, and that really made an impression on me.

In the middle of what was feeling like the same old same old, that jumped off the screen because it looked...different.

What impressed me with him is that he had several bad plays in the first half. That one long run was a bad read on his part. I think VT's misdirection was a tough assignment for our trio of true freshmen backers. But he really adjusted well in the second half. That one huge TFL was a thing of beauty in terms of reading the play. We are getting all we possibly could expect out of these guys, Shaq especially. They really fit well into Diaz's defense too.

Love that kid. And he was obviously raised right by the way he comports himself. He acts like a 5 year NFL vet. He has his mistakes, but he rallies from them. And there's no quit in him.

Advertisement
Some of the best players on the field are the freshmen. Quarterman, Pinckney and Jackson can anchor this defense over the next 3-4 years.

That one trick play that he blew up in the backfield he was flying. He got there so fast I honestly thought it was a DB that did it. Then they zoomed in to show who it was.

One encouraging thing so far this season has been the play of our young guys across the board.

Advertisement
Some of the best players on the field are the freshmen. Quarterman, Pinckney and Jackson can anchor this defense over the next 3-4 years.

Honestly, we should be really encouraged about the future of the defense. They are doing this as a complete MASH unit too.

If I'm not mistaken, least one series, we had 6 true freshmen on the field (Jackson, Bethel, Quarterman, Pinckney, McCloud and Young). These kids played hard. Only thing we lose on defense is Elder who playing at first team all-conference level. He's been an absolute stud.

Love that kid. And he was obviously raised right by the way he comports himself. He acts like a 5 year NFL vet. He has his mistakes, but he rallies from them. And there's no quit in him.

So you're saying he has that dawg in him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
That one trick play that he blew up in the backfield he was flying. He got there so fast I honestly thought it was a DB that did it. Then they zoomed in to show who it was.

His read and keeping his eyes honest, it was a thing of beauty. A Freshman?!?!

Advertisement
Back