Sacrifice Bunts

I hate to break it to you but with a .210 hitter analytics would absolutely recommend bunting in that situation.

I'm not sure you really understand the analytical models that exist in baseball, because the entire point IS to account for the variables that exist in every situation.

Most situations, most hitters - models discourage the sac bunt. But a tie game in the 9th with a terrible hypothetical batter at the plate is not one of those situations

Nope, those guys trot out the trust old table which shows that you have a better chance of scoring with a runner on first with no outs than with a runner on second and one out.

Advertisement
whatever happened to OCF? He and Random Walk were two of the best posters over there.

Forgot about Randomwalk. He had his own airplane. OCF was a little too indiscrete. We ended up figuring out who he was. He may have passed away at this point. When they shut down Grassy, they all stopped posting. They refused to migrate over here....

I hate to break it to you but with a .210 hitter analytics would absolutely recommend bunting in that situation.

I'm not sure you really understand the analytical models that exist in baseball, because the entire point IS to account for the variables that exist in every situation.

Most situations, most hitters - models discourage the sac bunt. But a tie game in the 9th with a terrible hypothetical batter at the plate is not one of those situations

Absolutely. The worst possible analytics model would tell you to bunt. ALL analytics models would tell you to bunt in that situation because batting average is most probably one of the strongest predictors and there would be a dummy variable in the training set for bunting that would be highly correlated to a low batting average (there would also be predictors for inning and run differential per inning unless it led to collinearity)...... This is why I consider the Gnome to be a complete dunce. Conversely, Lance is a genius!

Last edited:
Forgot about Randomwalk. He had his own airplane. OCF was a little too indiscrete. We ended up figuring out who he was. He may have passed away at this point. When they shut down Grassy, they all stopped posting. They refused to migrate over here....

If you knew who OCF was you could look him up to see that he is still very much alive.

Absolutely. The worst possible analytics model would tell you to bunt. ALL analytics models would tell you to bunt in that situation because batting average is most probably one of the strongest predictors and there would be a dummy variable in the training set for bunting that would be highly correlated to a low batting average (there would also be predictors for inning and run differential per inning unless it led to collinearity)...... This is why I consider the Gnome to be a complete dunce. Conversely, Lance is a genius!

Tell us about Florida’s Bright Lights program.

Advertisement
whatever happened to OCF? He and Random Walk were two of the best posters over there.

OCF is still alive. He is 77 years old and still sitting "sitting on the bench" as an active Federal judge. He has been attending baseball games for 60 years now. [Has put on a ton of weight based on his most recent picture.]

So at 11:18 am canesproponent says OCF may have passed away.

Jagr says, nope, he’s still alive.

At 1:09, canesproponent now says OCF is alive. But he “has Jagr on ignore”.

I guess you haven’t seen him lately! Not at all overweight!

I stand corrected. Sorry.

I had not thought of him in years, and thought that he may have passed away. It has been 3+ years since we traded missives on Grassy. I looked up his Federal profile and saw that he was still on the bench. Unflattering picture but an AMAZING career!

Advertisement

Hope Random Walk is still alive. He wasn't THAT old!

I remember my uncle introduced him to me once, years ago, at a restaurant in Coral Gables. Talked to him for 5-10 minutes.

My uncle knew who he was, and said: "that's the guy who is Random Walk on the Grassy site." And we walked over to him. He was a super nice guy, and when he talked about the 'Canes, he was like a kid in a candy shop. You would have thought he was running for President the United States if you looked at him, but once the subject of the 'Canes came up, he was just a super down to earth fan.

Wish he was posting over here he'd be very much welcome.

Morris just blindly followed a script. Certain situations were ALWAYS a sac bunt. Stupid way to run any team in any sport.

Advertisement
Back