Run Production

Madabs

Sophomore
We’re 17 games in and have lost 4 games by 2 or less runs. 39 home runs on the season which is near the top in ACC. But dead last in SB we have 6. No one on the team has attempted more than 2 and as a team we’ve only attempted to steal 12 times. For comparison Louisville is 44 out of 54. How is it possible that no one on the team is a threat to run? At least 1 a game would make a huge difference when it comes to driving in runs. Opposing pitchers don’t even have to worry about even looking at our base runners at this point.

Advertisement
We’re 17 games in and have lost 4 games by 2 or less runs. 39 home runs on the season which is near the top in ACC. But dead last in SB we have 6. No one on the team has attempted more than 2 and as a team we’ve only attempted to steal 12 times. For comparison Louisville is 44 out of 54. How is it possible that no one on the team is a threat to run? At least 1 a game would make a huge difference when it comes to driving in runs. Opposing pitchers don’t even have to worry about even looking at our base runners at this point.
And what is odd in Fenster is supposed to be a maven on coaching baserunning.

And what is odd in Fenster is supposed to be a maven on coaching baserunning.
This and JD said we were going to pressure opponent's defense and score in different ways, to the OP's point. We'd better not rely on the HR too much, as it is tougher to do in the post-season and is rarely a difference maker at Schwab Field. I have liked the approach at the plate much better though w two strikes than in past seasons.

And who exactly are guys that can steal bases in the lineup from last night?
Perhaps Jimenez? Costello?
Do we want Cyr trying to steal bases with 3-4-5 following him in the order?
Long, arguably our fastest guy is not a great base stealer.

And who exactly are guys that can steal bases in the lineup from last night?
Perhaps Jimenez? Costello?
Do we want Cyr trying to steal bases with 3-4-5 following him in the order?
Long, arguably our fastest guy is not a great base stealer.
I disagree on Long not being a great base stealer . He’s been caught once I think in the past four years with limited opportunities to steal because it seems like at least for the first three years he was stuck in the end ,sometimes when we were ahead by a lot and was shutdown .
I remember last year or the year before when that Clemson pitcher threw over like nine times at first and then Long stole the base on him.
We need to bring that F.O.R. back to the pitchers minds.
Viegas surprises me only stealing one base this year as he’s on base a few times a game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I disagree on Long not being a great base stealer . He’s been caught once I think in the past four years with limited opportunities to steal because it seems like at least for the first three years he was stuck in the end ,sometimes when we were ahead by a lot and was shutdown .
I remember last year or the year before when that Clemson pitcher threw over like nine times at first and then Long stole the base on him.
We need to bring that F.O.R. back to the pitchers minds.
Viegas surprises me only stealing one base this year as he’s on base a few times a game.
He’s fast but he’s not a smart base runner. He’s just as liable to get picked off staring at the scoreboard as he is swiping 2B. Reality check: he’s been here 4 years and he hasn’t distinguished himself as anything more than a back-up, role player.

I don’t think this team has the speed to run a lot. Should they run more? Yes.

IMO we should be ecstatic with the home run numbers. I did not see that coming from this lineup.

We have recruited slobs for 15 years. It’s embarrassing and would be thrilled if jd finds a way to change it.

Advertisement
Your need to steal goes down if you have a club that knows how to get on base and this particular club has proven that. There’s no need to play percentage baseball if you can trust your lineup.

Advertisement
Back