Rumph: We need him to be who we hope he is

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
When you lose 3 out of 4 starters (secondary) to the league, you're gonna take a step back. Even BAMA took a step back last year as they started some true frosh who were once committed here. There's been a lot of debate on this board on whether or not Rumph is a fraud or legit. I side with him being legit based on a strong body of evidence which shows player development at the CB position.

Now that Manny has the front 4 playing well, if Rumph is able to get our CB's playing closer to last year, then our D should get better and better. If we're going to salvage this season and recruiting, this will play an important part.

Also, Banda's group had two guys who went to the league, but he isn't revered as a player developer like Rumph - what's the board's take on Banda and his player's development?

Advertisement
Rumph is better at developing players but our CB depth chart is thin, and that’s at least partially an indictment of him as a recruiter.

Banda isn’t bad. I know some on the board can’t stand him but we have developed and reloaded pretty well at the position.

it took unfortunately a couple key games, but its starting to shake out, the core group of Silvera, Ford, Miller, Blades,rousseau, hall, ivey, bolden coming on board as key new guys is starting to take shape

I think they played as a team Friday. If they can have the same fight as they did during the game when issues arose they can beat everyone on the schedule who is left.

Rumph is definitely a good technical coach but he's definitely been left holding the bag far too often in recruiting. I like how he went on his own to see a sports psychologist to improve his lack of recruiting skills but it's likely never gonna be his strong suit. Regarding Banda, I think he got lucky inheriting jamal carter, rayshawn, jaquon, and colbert but they did show development under his watch too. He's gotten some W's on the trail: frierson, ivey, etc but his recruiting misses have been big drama and it seems like he gets played quite easily by these SoFla divas.

Advertisement
Yeaaaa. I am not a fan of either. Too many blown coverages for me. Seem like like they like free lance to much for me. They need to do their job first. Not sure they are learning that.
then again I am not a coach

I think the recruiting aspect is way over rated. We have played like s#@t for almost 2 decades now how do you expect for recruiting to change overnight especially here in south fla when the damage has been done by previous staffs even when rump was in high school alot of his players didn't come here. We must consistently win 10 games a year to see a change an we must have coaching consistency without that we will stay the same.

If a cornerback is in position to make a play and he doesn’t make it then how is that on the cornerback coach? Players play at the end of the day. A coach can’t go out and make a play themselves... Bandy hasn’t played well beyond the uf game this year and Ivey hasn’t played well in any game. I just see those 2 guys getting routinely beat. It is a new secondary so I expect It to be some communication issues early on in the season.

another issue that no one often brings up when criticizing db play this year is the lack of general pass rush and pressure which we have been accustomed to the previous 3 years. Joe Jackson isn’t on that edge anymore causing pressure and hurrying throws down after down so these guys have to cover longer than they were the previous 3 years which is harder on the db group.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rumph is better at developing players but our CB depth chart is thin, and that’s at least partially an indictment of him as a recruiter.

Banda isn’t bad. I know some on the board can’t stand him but we have developed and reloaded pretty well at the position.
He's not a bad recruiter. He just doesn't have that $EC money to make him look like a good recruiter. If he was Georgia or Alabama, he lands the same kids they land.

If a cornerback is in position to make a play and he doesn’t make it then how is that on the cornerback coach? Players play at the end of the day. A coach can’t go out and make a play themselves... Bandy hasn’t played well beyond the uf game this year and Ivey hasn’t played well in any game. I just see those 2 guys getting routinely beat. It is a new secondary so I expect It to be some communication issues early on in the season.

another issue that no one often brings up when criticizing db play this year is the lack of general pass rush and pressure which we have been accustomed to the previous 3 years. Joe Jackson isn’t on that edge anymore causing pressure and hurrying throws down after down so these guys have to cover longer than they were the previous 3 years which is harder on the db group.
Having rousseau finally starting is gonna help that pass rush big time. Teams can't double team garvin and greg so teams will have to pick their poison. Advantageous us.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back