RPI Thread

scane

Redshirt Freshman
As of March 20th, our RPI is at 77. We won't get much help this weekend from UVA (RPI 109). A win against FAU (RPI 14) would help a lot. Our RPI at the start of last week was 111.

Advertisement
As of March 20th, our RPI is at 77. We won't get much help this weekend from UVA (RPI 109). A win against FAU (RPI 14) would help a lot. Our RPI at the start of last week was 111.

They'll both help about the same. FAU has a slightly better record, but Virginia's opponents throughout the year will give us a much stronger OOWP. Of course, the most important aspect of RPI is winning, so if we can't figure that part out, there's no need to analyze the schedule.

UVA’s non conference SOS is going to be a dead weight around them. It’s already 224 before they play games tonight and tomorrow against Towson (3-15, RPI 289) and next Tuesday against Longwood (6-12, RPI 245). 7 of their remaining 11 NC games are against teams with losing records. I get that they want to play in state schools, but I don’t understand how you continue scheduling that badly OOC when it was used as an excuse not to give you a regional host spot last year. Also doesn’t help their OWP to draw BC instead of FSU and Wake instead of NC State.

Edit: The first game (and likely the second game) against Towson was cancelled due to weather. Lucky break for UVA's (and to a lesser extent our) RPI. Doubt they reschedule either.

As you said though, the most important thing is for us to start actually winning games.

Last edited:
how is UNC no.5 with a 13-8 record?
I have absolutely NO clue how UNC has the #5 RPI.

They beat Louisville 1/3 (70). We beat Florida 1/3 (23). How is UNC at 5 when they lost 2/3 to Louisville? Lost 2/3 to East Carolina (28), and had losses to St Johns (130), UNC Willmington (90), Gardner-Webb (143), and beat North Carolina A&T (273) ONLY 1-0 (bad win).

Their big wins are:
2/3 South Florida (116), 1/3 East Carolina (28), 3/3 Liberty (114), 1/3 Louisville (70), 3/3 Pitt (68), 1/1 Maryland (118)

So, UNC has 11 wins against the top 150 RPI . 5 of those wins are against the top 100 RPI.

By comparison,

Florida has 11 wins against the top 150 RPI. 8 of their wins are against the top 100.
1/1 FAU (13), 2/3 Miami (84), 3/3 Rhode Island (59), 1/1 FSU (7), 2/3 South Carolina (141)

Florida has better wins than UNC. More top 100 wins. Makes no *ucking sense. FSU is #7 at 17-4 and got pounded by Florida in midweek game.

FSU has 13 wins against the top 150 and 10 of those are against the top 100. Very strong. Especially if you include their 3 wins against UNC Ashville who was just outside of the top 150 RPI at #155.
3/3 Xavier (72), 3/3 Troy (29), 1/1 Jacksonville (85), 2/2 Kansas (120), 1/3 Wake Forest (64), 2/3 Notre Dame (101), 1/1 UCF (73)

How in the *uck does Xavier have the #72 RPI? They are 7-13.!!!! Here are their big wins:
1/2 Kentucky (8), 1/3 U of San Francisco (132). That's it. No other top 150 wins. I don't get it. I think a huge factor in the RPI is who you played and not even as much as did you win. They've got to be giving major credit for playing tougher teams, which Xavier did. They just didn't win.

Miami has 8 win against the top 150 and 5 of those wins against the top 100. ND dropping from #73 to #101 hurt.
2/3 Rutgers (61), 1/3 Florida (23), 2/3 Notre Dame (101), 1/1 UCF (73), 1/3 Duke (33)

The bottom line is the Canes need to win. They need to win the weekend series and the midweek games against the FUI's, FAU's, FGCU's, and UCF's. Those midweek teams have very good RPI's (153, 13, 62, 73). That's a big reason why last year's team got left out of the NCAA tournament. They lost too many midweek games and went .500 in the conference.

A big win tonight against FAU would really boost the RPI. Get it done boys!!!!

Advertisement
It's just math, guys. It doesn't matter if they have what you think are "big wins". It's their winning percentage x .25, plus their opponents' winning percentage x .50, plus their opponents' opponents' winning percentage x .25. North Carolina has a strong RPI because almost everyone they've played has a winning record. Meanwhile, in addition to our 9-10 record, we're adding 4-17 three times from the Maine series.

As of March 26, our RPI is now up to 66th. That’s up 11 from last week and 45 from two weeks ago. This week we play at FGCU (RPI 61) and three against GT (RPI 42) so we should keep moving up if we keep winning especially with the road bonus in the RPI formula.

UVA has now fallen to 131. FAU moved up to 11.

As of March 26, our RPI is now up to 66th. That’s up 11 from last week and 45 from two weeks ago. This week we play at FGCU (RPI 61) and three against GT (RPI 42) so we should keep moving up if we keep winning especially with the road bonus in the RPI formula.

UVA has now fallen to 131. FAU moved up to 11.

I think this is a safe assumption.

Advertisement
Is hope still; alive for a turnaround this season?

Was looking like 2-7 in the ACC, but now we are 5-3

RPI is now 78th. Only down 12 spots after going 0-4. This week we play RPI 16 FAU and RPI 12 UNC. We close our 5 game homestand against RPI 67 UCF. Again the chances are there to improve the RPI substantially with a good week. Unless we surprisingly go 4-1 during that stretch, this thread can pretty much shut down based on overall record with 3 games at Clemson to follow.

We are currently 2-11 vs the RPI top 50. We are 10-4 against everyone else including 3-1 against teams 50-100. Doesn’t paint an optimistic picture with 7 of the next 8 against teams in the RPI top 20. The home/road split is currently 10-7 at home vs an awful 2-8 on the road.

Yeah we have to win 18-20 more games to be in the at large discussion, and I just can’t find that many wins on the schedule. I think we’re now in a position of having to win the ACC Tournament if we want to extend the postseason streak to one.

This seems to be the clearest path to 18 wins (still might require a couple ACC tournament wins), and I’m certainly not predicting it because it would require significant midweek and some road improvement:
Midweek:Win 4 of last 6
UNC: win 2 of 3
Clemson: win 1 of 3
Pitt: win 2 of 3
FSU: win 1 of 3
Bethune: sweep
VT:win 2 of 3
BC:sweep

That leaves us at 30-24 (17-13 ACC). Also the possibility we make up the Maine game with Bethune or another midweek now that McMahon is back (assuming Cabezas’ knee problem isn’t serious) giving us an extra chance to win.

The back end (Pitt onward) is easier with Reyes back. I think his presence in the cleanup spot improves the lineup dramatically even more so if Amditis settles in the 3 hole (as the DH). The issue is the front end which is why these next 5 at home is something of a last stand. It’s more likely it all sort of implodes (or rather the implosion continues) this week.

Advertisement

It's far more likely we win 12 of those vs 18. In fact, it's even likelier we win 10. The hole is big and seems to be getting bigger by the day. Before last year, I've seen us turn it around just in time to make some noise or at least salvage the year. I think that ship has sailed.

This seems to be the clearest path to 18 wins (still might require a couple ACC tournament wins), and I’m certainly not predicting it because it would require significant midweek and some road improvement:
Revisting this post, we took care of the weekend series in reverse order but the midweek remains a problem. If we were marginally decent in midweek games we’d be fine. We still need to find 15 wins. Here’s my best guess as to how we’d need to do it:

Midweek:Win 4 of 4 (this is the one I have the hardest time believing)
Pitt: Win 2 of 3
FSU:Win 1 of 3
Bethune:Sweep
VT: win 2 of 3
BC: sweep

Certainly can swap out Pitt or VT for the BC sweep. Outside of the midweek games this team is incapable of motivating itself for, the results are individually doable. I just don’t think this team is capable of the consistency required to do all of them.

Still also have the outside possibility of adding another D1 game to replace Maine.

Advertisement
RPI is up to 57 after the FGCU win. Now 5-14 against the RPI Top 50 (5-10 vs the RPI Top 25). 7-3 vs teams 50-100.

Pitt has an RPI of 93. As Jagr mentioned in the other the thread, they are coming off a series win against GT. They have won their last three ACC series. The only team to sweep them this year was UNC in the second weekend of conference play.

Only 8 of our final 18 games are against teams with winning records (Pitt x3, FSU x3, FGCU, Stetson).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back