Roster Management for New Staff

Arehel

Redshirt Freshman
Don't often start threads but this idea has been buggin' me for a bit.

Let's give this staff credit, where it's due. The past two regimes would sign up 25 to 35 player classes and, looking back, would only get 80 percent of them in school to begin with, with another 5 percent transferring out or just being general losers.

Thus far all the classes signed since CMR has been here, no academic casualties, all players have made a contribution in various ways, Further to that the players that were already here, have seen marked improvement.

Looking at 2016 record, you see a whole lot of close losses, i.e., VTech, UND, UNC, FSU, then this past year we won them all. This was the main reason we saw the difference in the win-loss column in 2017.

If you step back and look at it in its entirety, 2018 in the culmination of being able to win the close games, marked improvement from the players and the ability to the use the roster from top to bottom, with obviously an overall better coaching staff.

CMR got it right and has it going on. LSU is just the beginning, hang on tight and this is gonna be a fun ride fellas'.

Advertisement
Don't often start threads but this idea has been buggin' me for a bit.

Let's give this staff credit, where it's due. The past two regimes would sign up 25 to 35 player classes and, looking back, would only get 80 percent of them in school to begin with, with another 5 percent transferring out or just being general losers.

Thus far all the classes signed since CMR has been here, no academic casualties, all players have made a contribution in various ways, Further to that the players that were already here, have seen marked improvement.

Looking at 2016 record, you see a whole lot of close losses, i.e., VTech, UND, UNC, FSU, then this past year we won them all. This was the main reason we saw the difference in the win-loss column in 2017.

If you step back and look at it in its entirety, 2018 in the culmination of being able to win the close games, marked improvement from the players and the ability to the use the roster from top to bottom, with obviously an overall better coaching staff.

CMR got it right and has it going on. LSU is just the beginning, hang on tight and this is gonna be a fun ride fellas'.
What? We have lost quite a few players. Sam Bruce, Allison, Mullins, Jeff James, Wright, Haskins, etc were all part of Richt's "first" class and they all transferred or were kicked out. It is part of the game and that will never change.

With that said, that number has gone down the last 2 classes since these are recruits Richt personally chose and did his homework on. It is more than just being a good athlete and Richt knows that and accounts for that, but there will always be some that make a stupid mistake or are just not happy because of playing time (DJ Johnson last year)

Next logical step is to turn those close losses into blowouts. We won’t go undefeated so expect an L or 2 but the UVAs and GTs shouldn’t be close.

What? We have lost quite a few players. Sam Bruce, Allison, Mullins, Jeff James, Wright, Haskins, etc were all part of Richt's "first" class and they all transferred or were kicked out. It is part of the game and that will never change.

With that said, that number has gone down the last 2 classes since these are recruits Richt personally chose and did his homework on. It is more than just being a good athlete and Richt knows that and accounts for that, but there will always be some that make a stupid mistake or are just not happy because of playing time (DJ Johnson last year)
1st class always gets a mulligan ...they had like 3-4 weeks of non dead period time to recruit and retain.

1st class always gets a mulligan ...they had like 3-4 weeks of non dead period time to recruit and retain.
Then we are basing it on the 2017 class only, which even then had DJ Johnson transfer. I don't think there is enough of a pool for declarations to be made. The 2017 class has not even played a down of their sophmore year. You can be happy that everyone made it in for the 2018 class, but then again in the last like 6 years the only players I can recall not making it in are Bond and Jean-Louis.

Again, I want to make it clear that I love the new staff and their recruiting, but it is unrealistic that there won't be attrition throughout the years, regardless of staff. There will always be players that get kicked off and players that transfer for various reasons. It has happened the last couple years and happened while Richt was in Georgia. More than likely there will be players from the 2017 and 2018 class that will not graduate from Miami. That is ok, as long as the majority do and that those players are big impact guys.

Advertisement
Then we are basing it on the 2017 class only, which even then had DJ Johnson transfer. I don't think there is enough of a pool for declarations to be made. The 2017 class has not even played a down of their sophmore year. You can be happy that everyone made it in for the 2018 class, but then again in the last like 6 years the only players I can recall not making it in are Bond and Jean-Louis.

Again, I want to make it clear that I love the new staff and their recruiting, but it is unrealistic that there won't be attrition throughout the years, regardless of staff. There will always be players that get kicked off and players that transfer for various reasons. It has happened the last couple years and happened while Richt was in Georgia. More than likely there will be players from the 2017 and 2018 class that will not graduate from Miami. That is ok, as long as the majority do and that those players are big impact guys.

Griffin is one who didn't get in.

Advertisement
Back