Rob Likens path to the Hurricanes

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
Great article in the Sun Sentinel. Here's the link:

Not sure if it's a paywall - here's a brief summary:

-
Likens grew up in a rough neighborhood in Youngstown, Ohio. His father left when he was very young -3 or 4 years old. His mom worked a couple of jobs. He lived with different family members in his home - no real positive role model in his life and in his words " I was heading down the wrong path.”

A move in his adolescence to live with his father in southern Mississippi led him to first learn football.
“My high school coach, he saved my life. High school football saved my life. That’s why I got into this profession,” Likens said. “My high school coach put his arm around me and got me to come out for high school football. The rest is history. Taught me everything I needed to know." “After high school football, I knew what I was going to do for the rest of my life," Likens said. "In some capacity, I was going to be a coach, and I was going to give back and feed kids positivity, speak life into them and be a positive role model for them.”

Likens played WR at Mississippi St in the late 1980's and got his first job coaching WR and RB at DII school North Alabama under Coach Bobby Wallace. Wallace ran the triple option offense and won three DII national championships.
“I’m glad I cut my teeth in the triple option because it taught me about defensive structure, how to call plays running the football, how to run the football and that’s been a huge influence,” Likens said.

Likens followed Wallace to Temple in 1998. With the Owls, they were bound to transition to an Air Raid offense, and Likens was sent to Kentucky for a few weeks to learn the offense from coach Hal Mumme, who was friends with Wallace and made a move from Valdosta State to Kentucky the year before. On Mumme’s staff with the Wildcats were such names as Mike Leach and Sonny Dykes.

Likens remained at Temple through 2003 and then after a few other stints at various places as OC, he reunited with Sonny Dykes at La Tech in 2010, becoming his assistant head coach and QB coach. He went to CAl with Dykes in 2013.

Through Dykes was how Likens and Lashlee were connected, Lashlee as Dykes’ offensive coordinator at Southern Methodist the past two seasons.

“We knew each other through him,” Likens said. “When Rhett got this job, I texted him. I said, ‘Congratulations. That’s an awesome opportunity. I’ve been waiting to see Miami run the spread offense. I think it’s going to be so cool.’ ”
Talks progressed. With Likens available after his stint at Arizona State and previous Hurricanes receivers coach Taylor Stubblefield leaving to take the same role at Penn State, Lashlee asked Likens if he’d be interested.
“He knew of my reputation for developing receivers through Sonny and through some other people, and that’s how that kind of started,” Likens said.

Likens said he had other offers at the time but he kept thinking back to his first time coaching against Miami.
At Temple, Likens had his first chance to call plays in a game against the Hurricanes in 1999 as UM was on the verge of building what many feel is the most talented college football roster ever assembled in 2001.

“Those were the best 12 first downs I ever got in my life. That was the greatest defense I had ever seen,” Likens said.

“When I just hear ‘The U,’ Miami, I hear the name of it, it elicits a different response,” he said. “One of the handful of places across the country where you can go, ‘Man, I would love to coach there.’ ”

Advertisement
Advertisement
"I’ve been waiting to see Miami run the spread offense."

Shìt you & me both...

Got so sick & tired of Pro Style bro ball.

Pro style ball nowadays has so many spread concepts, it’s in a sense unrecognizable from pro style from 10+ years ago. In fact one of the only major differences is just that in pro ball there’s more lining up behind center than there is in college, but otherwise those concepts are diffused throughout most offenses that I watch in the pros. Yeah, there are very few teams that are 100% spread in the pros, but those concepts are weaving through most offenses nowadays

Problem with us, is that it seem PEDs like we‘ve been running pro style bro offenses from 15 years ago...With constant 10 yard drops and slow developing plays

Pro style ball nowadays has so many spread concepts, it’s in a sense unrecognizable from pro style from 10+ years ago. In fact one of the only major differences is just that in pro ball there’s more lining up behind center than there is in college, but otherwise those concepts are diffused throughout most offenses that I watch in the pros. Yeah, there are very few teams that are 100% spread in the pros, but those concepts are weaving through most offenses nowadays

Problem with us, is that it seem PEDs like we‘ve been running pro style bro offenses from 15 years ago...With constant 10 yard drops and slow developing plays
That's a fact.

Pro style has evolved into a mix of everything that works & is predicated on being adjustable to fit personnel.

More offenses in the pro's have used Spread/Air Raid concepts, but have also remained true to the old school power run & Zone run schemes that are so difficult to defend when blocked properly. My Ravens literally ran the Pistol offense straight out of college & mixed it with some Pro style schemes.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Pro style if you have the horses at the skills positions & a stout enough OL to run it. Our problem is we haven't had a good enough OL since 2013 to run that style offense & had we got with the program years ago we would've been able to see our personnel has been a perfect fit for an uptempo Spread offense for the last 7+ years.

The offense Richt & Enox ran didn't fit with our personnel, which resulted in back to back worst ever offensive seasons in the modern era. Every aspect of the offense suffered because it. When you don't have an elite Wisconsin style OL, you have to do some thing to neutralize the defense taking advantage of our blocking deficiencies, the way to level the playing field is to follow the Oklahoma model & Spread/tempo the defense to death until you force them to pull defenders out of the box. Use your speed as an advantage, we would take our speed & debilitate it.

I wouldn't have an issue with running a Chiefs type "Pro style" offense, but we were running a semblance of the Shanahan/Kubiak style that is heavily based on Play action & Zone run scheme, an offense that you absolutely must have a strong OL to operate effectively, which is the exact opposite of what we had lol.

Last edited:
Great article in the Sun Sentinel. Here's the link:

Not sure if it's a paywall - here's a brief summary:

-
Likens grew up in a rough neighborhood in Youngstown, Ohio. His father left when he was very young -3 or 4 years old. His mom worked a couple of jobs. He lived with different family members in his home - no real positive role model in his life and in his words " I was heading down the wrong path.”

A move in his adolescence to live with his father in southern Mississippi led him to first learn football.
“My high school coach, he saved my life. High school football saved my life. That’s why I got into this profession,” Likens said. “My high school coach put his arm around me and got me to come out for high school football. The rest is history. Taught me everything I needed to know." “After high school football, I knew what I was going to do for the rest of my life," Likens said. "In some capacity, I was going to be a coach, and I was going to give back and feed kids positivity, speak life into them and be a positive role model for them.”

Likens played WR at Mississippi St in the late 1980's and got his first job coaching WR and RB at DII school North Alabama under Coach Bobby Wallace. Wallace ran the triple option offense and won three DII national championships.
“I’m glad I cut my teeth in the triple option because it taught me about defensive structure, how to call plays running the football, how to run the football and that’s been a huge influence,” Likens said.

Likens followed Wallace to Temple in 1998. With the Owls, they were bound to transition to an Air Raid offense, and Likens was sent to Kentucky for a few weeks to learn the offense from coach Hal Mumme, who was friends with Wallace and made a move from Valdosta State to Kentucky the year before. On Mumme’s staff with the Wildcats were such names as Mike Leach and Sonny Dykes.

Likens remained at Temple through 2003 and then after a few other stints at various places as OC, he reunited with Sonny Dykes at La Tech in 2010, becoming his assistant head coach and QB coach. He went to CAl with Dykes in 2013.

Through Dykes was how Likens and Lashlee were connected, Lashlee as Dykes’ offensive coordinator at Southern Methodist the past two seasons.

“We knew each other through him,” Likens said. “When Rhett got this job, I texted him. I said, ‘Congratulations. That’s an awesome opportunity. I’ve been waiting to see Miami run the spread offense. I think it’s going to be so cool.’ ”
Talks progressed. With Likens available after his stint at Arizona State and previous Hurricanes receivers coach Taylor Stubblefield leaving to take the same role at Penn State, Lashlee asked Likens if he’d be interested.
“He knew of my reputation for developing receivers through Sonny and through some other people, and that’s how that kind of started,” Likens said.

Likens said he had other offers at the time but he kept thinking back to his first time coaching against Miami.
At Temple, Likens had his first chance to call plays in a game against the Hurricanes in 1999 as UM was on the verge of building what many feel is the most talented college football roster ever assembled in 2001.

“Those were the best 12 first downs I ever got in my life. That was the greatest defense I had ever seen,” Likens said.

“When I just hear ‘The U,’ Miami, I hear the name of it, it elicits a different response,” he said. “One of the handful of places across the country where you can go, ‘Man, I would love to coach there.’ ”
Great article, thanks for posting Hoyacane1620! Man, I am getting excited about the staff we have. Maybe a couple tweaks still needed, but ****, Rome was not built in a day. I like our direction.

Advertisement

There is a certain mindset that the true HUNH spreads have that alot of these teams that just take bits and pieces of spread concepts dont. The very foundation/philosophy to practice is completely different. You even hear it from a guy like Diaz who has seen multiple offenses here at miami that some coaches/fans would say herp derp we have 3-4 WR on field and are in shotgun, we run the spread, then DIaz tells you in interview its like we are playing a complete different sport now.

At end of day I am not attached to a particular offense but what we did by tying ourselves to pro style bro to promote ourselves as some type of quasi nfl program (while piling up losses to mediocre opponents)meanwhile the NFL was embracing the college game has to be one of the most misguided things I have seen. What a waste. We should of been at the cutting edge of this dam thing.

Likens might not be name brand but he is from good pedigree and knows the scheme Lashlee wants to install well and his resume as WR coach speaks for itself. This offensive staff is legit

Likens seems to have certainly paid his dues and been exposed to a lot of different coaching syles/ideologies that should help us and the young receivers here in particular
Honestly, this looks like a perfect hire. He has been around systems like Lashlee runs.

Advertisement
That's a fact.

Pro style has evolved into a mix of everything that works & is predicated on being adjustable to fit personnel.

More offenses in the pro's have used Spread/Air Raid concepts, but have also remained true to the old school power run & Zone run schemes that are so difficult to defend when blocked properly. My Ravens literally ran the Pistol offense straight out of college & mixed it with some Pro style schemes.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Pro style if you have the horses at the skills positions & a stout enough OL to run it. Our problem is we haven't had a good enough OL since 2013 to run that style offense & had we got with the program years ago we would've been able to see our personnel has been a perfect fit for an uptempo Spread offense for the last 7+ years.

The offense Richt & Enox ran didn't fit with our personnel, which resulted in back to back worst ever offensive seasons in the modern era. Every aspect of the offense suffered because it. When you don't have an elite Wisconsin style OL, you have to do some thing to neutralize the defense taking advantage of our blocking deficiencies, the way to level the playing field is to follow the Oklahoma model & Spread/tempo the defense to death until you force them to pull defenders out of the box. Use your speed as an advantage, we would take our speed & debilitate it.

I wouldn't have an issue with running a Chiefs type "Pro style" offense, but we were running a semblance of the Shanahan/Kubiak style that is heavily based on Play action & Zone run scheme, an offense that you absolutely must have a strong OL to operate effectively, which is the exact opposite of what we had lol.

You hit every nail. Couldn’t agree more.

Apart from straight ahead power running, which we could never do, even with zone blocking, while you may be able to get away with offensIve lineman that aren’t straight up hulksters like they would be in the power game, the OL still has to be very good: athletic offensive lineman that are quick on their feet, and know their assignments, and know where to go, and have excellent technique. So much of the zone game is offensive lineman going to the right spot and ability to think on their feet and execute.

We couldn’t do have done any of those things the last couple of years. Not even close. Only the spread will mask those deficiencies.

I really like this offensive coaching staff. There's a lot to not like about some of Diaz' decisions. But he isn't afraid to hire up. Enos was a hot commodity and more senior than him, turned out to be dog**** but it was a ballsy hire at the time. Lashlee is exactly the kind of guy we all wanted, and could have had his pick of OC jobs. So you got to hand it to Diaz for getting him to join the Miami staff, then through him getting guys like Likens as position coaches. I'm looking forward to the season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back