Off-Topic RIP Harry Belafonte

Advertisement
another useful idiot goes down the drain. waiting on penn, danny glover, sarandon et al. all who never met a marxist they did like.

que se vaya para el apestoso recoño de su madre.

another useful idiot goes down the drain. waiting on penn, danny glover, sarandon et al. all who never met a marxist they did like.

que se vaya para el apestoso recoño de su madre.

It is difficult to look at 96 years of a person's life and reduce it down in such a simplistic way.

On the one hand, his work and contributions to the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s was significant. His work for the Anti-Apartheid movement and in sub-Sharan Africa to raise HIV/AIDS awareness, and contributions to LiveAid and UNICEF were also admirable. And before all of that, he joined the US Navy as a black man in the 40s during WWII, which I consider admirable.

On the other hand, he absolutely allowed himself to be played by Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez later on in life in a way that was politically beneficial to those dictators. And he was sympathetic to their regimes notwithstanding the fact they perpetrated known and significant human rights violations. Sadly ironic, considering his fight against the inhumane treatment and oppression of people of color in the United States and Africa for decades.

Not sure how his scales will balance, but thankfully that's not my job. All I know is people are complicated, life is complicated, and his is over.

Advertisement
It is difficult to look at 96 years of a person's life and reduce it down in such a simplistic way.

On the one hand, his work and contributions to the civil rights movement in the 50s and 60s was significant. His work for the Anti-Apartheid movement and in sub-Sharan Africa to raise HIV/AIDS awareness, and contributions to LiveAid and UNICEF were also admirable. And before all of that, he joined the US Navy as a black man in the 40s during WWII, which I consider admirable.

On the other hand, he absolutely allowed himself to be played by Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez later on in life in a way that was politically beneficial to those dictators. And he was sympathetic to their regimes notwithstanding the fact they perpetrated known and significant human rights violations. Sadly ironic, considering his fight against the inhumane treatment and oppression of people of color in the United States and Africa for decades.

Not sure how his scales will balance, but thankfully that's not my job. All I know is people are complicated, life is complicated, and his is over.
you are right. most people are neither all good or all bad. he was both.

and to say he "allowed himself to be played" is way too passive, as if he had been duped. no way. he was sympathetic and admired them, **** him for that.

the rest, he did some valuable good.

Advertisement
Back