Rion Brown

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Just wanted to start a thread to show Rion some love. Kid is ballin this year (yeah, I'm a 34 year old white guy who just said ballin). He was probably the player ripped the most on these boards the last couple of years, but he has stepped up big time as a senior. He's averaging 13.4 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1 steal per game.

Advertisement
He's still not developed as a shooter/offensive threat in the way that many of us had hoped, but he hustles his *** off every night and gets offensive rebounds, put backs, and fast break buckets. I really appreciate the effort and the example he is setting for the younger guys.

He's still not developed as a shooter/offensive threat in the way that many of us had hoped, but he hustles his *** off every night and gets offensive rebounds, put backs, and fast break buckets. I really appreciate the effort and the example he is setting for the younger guys.

Agreed. He plays hard and does alot of the little things. He hasn't improved offensively like we all hoped and still makes some huge mental mistakes offensively.

While I agree he's not shooting at the % from 3 point land I expected (he's under 30%), I for one, never expected him to be a 20 ppg guy. He's averaging 13.4 ppg. That's pretty solid, and more than double his best season. Did you really expect much more from him scoring wise?

Advertisement

While I agree he's not shooting at the % from 3 point land I expected (he's under 30%), I for one, never expected him to be a 20 ppg guy. He's averaging 13.4 ppg. That's pretty solid, and more than double his best season. Did you really expect much more from him scoring wise?

I didn't expect anyone on our team to be a 20 PPG scorer (that's not how we play). I'm fine with 13-14 PPG, although that wasn't necessarily the number I expected to lead the team by 3 PPG. Considering he is getting more than double the number of touches, I'm not surprised that his scoring numbers are there.

I did expect a top 75 recruit who had better shooting percentages as a sophomore than as a junior (and so far as a senior) to develop more consistency, both shooting from the outside and eventually creating his own shot, which would lead to more consistency in the scoring column. He had three 20-point games off the bench in the last three months of last year, so I more expected him to score 12 on his off nights and have more 20-point games, and score 16 or so per night, rather than having as many single digit games as 17-plus point games (four).

But I am very proud of the hustle and leadership he has displayed this year, and it gives him far more leeway with me than other players.

Was hoping he would have taken this step last year, but Im totally OK with him finally getting it together. Seemed like a headcase at times last year going ice cold or fire hot. He NEEDS to be our best player, IMO.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back