Rewatched the game after going (long)

drewm3i

Junior
and noticed a lot of things that I could not see at the game.

Energy: First, this was NOT the same FSU team that lost to UNC. On tv, one could see how locked in, amped up, and focused they were. They matched and maybe even exceeded our level of energy. In this game, guys like Sweat and Thomas were not jogging down the sideline while the opposition trotted into the endzone like against UNC.

Psyche: After losing 6 in a row, it was easy to see us pressing. Judging by our body language it was clear that we were not confident that we would win--we hoped to win, while FSU knew they would win. The nervousness and angst on the sideline was blatantly obvious, as was the frustration and "here we go again" vibe.

QB play: Kaaya played much better than I thought after watching the game on tape. He made many good throws and had an alarming number of passes dropped. Still, his inaccuracy and lack of pocket awareness continue to be huge issues. He cannot feel pressure or evade any competent pass rush. I could also sense that Kaaya was nervous and pressing in this game. He looked dazed and worried on the sideline. Maybe he was concussed, but he just isn't a poised and charismatic leader like most great QBs. He sits on the sideline and stares into space, almost hoping that someone else will save him. Yes he made a big throw to end the game, but he was short, behind, and slow on his throws for most of the night.

Francois on the other hand is a BEAST. I have never seen a young QB get hit so much and keep playing at the level he did. He is also an athlete and it shows. With Maguire, we win by 20--our pass rush would've eaten him alive. Someone like Francois adds another level to your offense and is so hard to defend. They were able to close out the game because of his athleticism and ability to run. However, he is also a much better passer than I remembered from the game. There were times he made something out of nothing and Kaaya just can't do that. Unlike Kaaya, Francois is an athlete and just kept coming back and never backed down. Very impressive, but we need someone like that.

Crowd: I was there and have to say the crowd was INSANE! The tv did not do the pregame trash talking justice. However, from the broadcast one could tell how loud it was. At times the crowd drowned out the commentary. Excited for our future at the Rock.

Big plays: While Richt's playcalling was very basic and very predictable (read: very disappointed in this from an 'offensive coach'), this game was lost on a few plays. The Kaaya int in the endzone was terrible. At the game, I thought the throw was short and late. Watching on tv, I could see that he went to throw and a DE jumped up causing him to pull back and then throw. This is a case where his lack of athleticism cripples him: if he was more athletic, he would not have to stand in the pocket behind our terrible OL. With that said, he should've thrown that pass through the endzone and lived to play another down. It is remarkable that our jr. QB is still making mistakes like those. Just a terrible play by him that cost us the game IMO.

Another huge play in this game occurred when Walton's run got called back. What an amazing run that was and it was called back by a terrible call. St. Louis was on the other side and even Herby acknowledged it had nothing to do with the play. Moreover, it was a questionable call AT BEST. Should have never been called and if we get that TD, I think we win the game.

The final big play was obviously the XP. Just a terrible job of snapping the ball and blocking. For us to lose a game in that fashion demonstrates to the world why we have sucked for the last 12 years. That was a Dolphinesque play; just terrible! If we make this play, I like to think FSU comes out passing and we get a stop because of our pass rush and secondary, ultimately winning the game.

Defense: Our defense is a legitimate top-20 defense. They held an elite offense to 20 points, EVEN THOUGH the offense could not even get a first down half the game. The depth on that side of the ball is impressive. I think we played about 14 different lineman, 6-7 different linebackers, and 6 different dbs. What a great job by Manny Diaz! The Cook td was a busted play (Pinckney fell down), which I could not see at the game. When you play a guy like that, he will get at least one. Corn Elder is an absolute beast and I cannot believe he ran Cook down. The pass breakup was also superb! In this game, we made FSU earn everything and that is about all you can ask.

FSU's defense: This unit was the difference in the game. I don't know what they were doing previous weeks, but this is a good defense IF they play a QB like Kaaya. Because he can't move, they teed off on him and played press man. Because of this, we had little time to throw, room to run, and our receivers could not get open. Richt did not adjust to what they were doing and it cost us this game! He should have been running lots of crossing patterns, out and ups, post corners, wr jailbreak screens, hitch and gos, etc. Most of our offense consisted of simple routes with no double moves and no bunch formations to confuse the man defense and run people off of each other to get them open. Richt did a terrible job on the offensive side of the ball here...

Very frustrating, but if we fix the offense we can have a really good year!

Last edited:
Advertisement

Energy: First, this was NOT the same FSU team that lost to UNC. On tv, one could see how locked in, amped up, and focused they were. They matched and maybe even exceeded our level of energy. In this game, guys like Sweat and Thomas were not jogging down the sideline while the opposition trotted into the endzone like against UNC.

Psyche: After losing 6 in a row, it was easy to see us pressing. Judging by our body language it was clear that we were not confident that we would win--we hoped to win, while FSU knew they would win. The nervousness and angst on the sideline was blatantly obvious, as was the frustration and "here we go again" vibe.

QB play: Kaaya played much better than I thought after watching the game on tape. He made many good throws and had an alarming number of passes dropped. Still, his inaccuracy and lack of pocket awareness continue to be huge issues. He cannot feel pressure or evade any competent pass rush. I could also sense that Kaaya was nervous and pressing in this game. He looked dazed and worried on the sideline. Maybe he was concussed, but he just isn't a poised and charismatic leader like most great QBs. He sits on the sideline and stares into space, almost hoping that someone else will save him. Yes he made a big throw to end the game, but he was short, behind, and slow on his throws for most of the night.

Francois on the other hand is a BEAST. I have never seen a young QB get hit so much and keep playing at the level he did. He is also an athlete and it shows. With Maguire, we win by 20--our pass rush would've eaten him alive. Someone like Francois adds another level to your offense and is so hard to defend. They were able to close out the game because of his athleticism and ability to run. However, he is also a much better passer than I remembered from the game. There were times he made something out of nothing and Kaaya just can't do that. Unlike Kaaya, Francois is an athlete and just kept coming back and never backed down. Very impressive, but we need someone like that.

Crowd: I was there and have to say the crowd was INSANE! The tv did not do the pregame trash talking justice. However, from the broadcast one could tell how loud it was. At times the crowd drowned out the commentary. Excited for our future at the Rock.

Big plays: While Richt's playcalling was very basic and very predictable (read: very disappointed in this from an 'offensive coach'), this game was lost on a few plays. The Kaaya int in the endzone was terrible. At the game, I thought the throw was short and late. Watching on tv, I could see that he went to throw and a DE jumped up causing him to pull back and then throw. This is a case where his lack of athleticism cripples him: if he was more athletic, he would not have to stand in the pocket behind our terrible OL. With that said, he should've thrown that pass through the endzone and lived to play another down. It is remarkable that our jr. QB is still making mistakes like those. Just a terrible play by him that cost us the game IMO.

Another huge play in this game occurred when Walton's run got called back. What an amazing run that was and it was called back by a terrible call. St. Louis was on the other side and even Herby acknowledged it had nothing to do with the play. Moreover, it was a questionable call AT BEST. Should have never been called and if we get that TD, I think we win the game.

The final big play was obviously the XP. Just a terrible job of snapping the ball and blocking. For us to lose a game in that fashion demonstrates to the world why we have sucked for the last 12 years. That was a Dolphinesque play; just terrible! If we make this play, I like to think FSU comes out passing and we get a stop because of our pass rush and secondary, ultimately winning the game.

Defense: Our defense is a legitimate top-20 defense. They held an elite offense to 20 points, EVEN THOUGH the offense could not even get a first down half the game. The depth on that side of the ball is impressive. I think we played about 14 different lineman, 6-7 different linebackers, and 6 different dbs. What a great job by Manny Diaz! The Cook td was a busted play (Pinckney fell down), which I could not see at the game. When you play a guy like that, he will get at least one. Corn Elder is an absolute beast and I cannot believe he ran Cook down. The pass breakup was also superb! In this game, we made FSU earn everything and that is about all you can ask.

FSU's defense: This unit was the difference in the game. I don't know what they were doing previous weeks, but this is a good defense IF they play a QB like Kaaya. Because he can't move, they teed off on him and played press man. Because of this, we had little time to throw, room to run, and our receivers could not get open. Richt did not adjust to what they were doing and it cost us this game! He should have been running lots of crossing patterns, out and ups, post corners, wr jailbreak screens, hitch and gos, etc. Most of our offense consisted of simple routes with no double moves and no bunch formations to confuse the man defense and run people off of each other to get them open. Richt did a terrible job on the offensive side of the ball here...

I appreciate your post....

Here's my only rebuttal...since I've watched the game both w/ liquor in my system and then sober. FSU brought pressure and we didn't expose it. Quick slants. They could not stop the slant all game b/c they kept 8 in the box. We did not take advantage of it. It would've kept Kaaya clean and we could've ate up at least 6 yards per play. We went away from Yearby...we didn't utilize him in the passing game. The TE's would've had the middle on lock, and we didn't exploit it. Outside of the drops, I believe we didn't take advantage of FSU and made their defense look a lot better than it should've.

ktpng.gif

Here's my only rebuttal...since I've watched the game both w/ liquor in my system and then sober. FSU brought pressure and we didn't expose it. Quick slants. They could not stop the slant all game b/c they kept 8 in the box. We did not take advantage of it. It would've kept Kaaya clean and we could've ate up at least 6 yards per play. We went away from Yearby...we didn't utilize him in the passing game. The TE's would've had the middle on lock, and we didn't exploit it. Outside of the drops, I believe we didn't take advantage of FSU and made their defense look a lot better than it should've.

There is a plethora of possible calls that could have neutralized what FSU was doing, Richt just didn't make them. Slants, short crossing passes, rb wheels and arrow patterns, etc. It's a shame we lost this gamee because of our offense.

I've said it already but we got fsu's best game of the season after that unc loss

Doesn't excuse it but it may be why we need to calm down and not compare it to the their other games

Advertisement
I've said it already but we got fsu's best game of the season after that unc loss

Doesn't excuse it but it may be why we need to calm down and not compare it to the their other games

Completely agree, we played *** for tat against a top 10 team (on that night and that night only) and could've won if a) we make the xp, b) if Walton's td doesn't get called back, and c) if Kaaya doesn't throw that AWFUL int.

Kayaa is not a winner.

0-10 vs. ranked teams.

Sorry, it's the truth.

We've never had a more overrated QB.

Frankly, it's not fair to Brad.

If these two events did not happen, we win the game.

1) Kaaya throws interception
2) Mark Walton's TD gets called back

Those two events changed all the momentum for the game. Unreal how we didn't come away with the win the way our Defense was playing.

CIS looking for new article writers.

Sum it up.

CMR sucked *** play calling.
BK threw one of the top 10 dumbest ints
Time of possession was 12+ for FSU. The O killed the D with this
Kicker screwed up twice, one in not calling time out for the miss balanced line formation and one for blowing the kick
Refs had head up *** calls because they like to inject themselves into a game and can't realize they are not part of the game.

Ball game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Kaaya didn't play as bad as people think he did. Yeah he had that terrible throw but before that he was 15-22 170 yards with 1 td. After the Thomas hit he was not right. The oline getting beat in the second half compounded to those issues as well. On top of that he made a clutch throw on 4th down that should have tied the game..

Too many inconsistencies to take down a rival that has dominated you for almost a decade... Game-planning, play-calling, player quality across the board, not good enough to win.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There is a plethora of possible calls that could have neutralized what FSU was doing, Richt just didn't make them. Slants, short crossing passes, rb wheels and arrow patterns, etc. It's a shame we lost this gamee because of our offense.

Agreed...and to think, our offense has now become our Achilles heel. Smh.

Advertisement

Agreed...and to think, our offense has now become our Achilles heel. Smh.
Amazing isn't it? After solid offense from 2009-15, it is now terrible again.

Two missed plays that stand out to me are the middle screen to Walton where he probably walks 40 yards into the endzone. Then the interference call on the pass to Berrios. They faked the quick throw out wide and coley and berrios were running go routes. No one was covering Coley. Have no idea what Brad was looking at but that's probably a score as well.

Two missed plays that stand out to me are the middle screen to Walton where he probably walks 40 yards into the endzone. Then the interference call on the pass to Berrios. They faked the quick throw out wide and coley and berrios were running go routes. No one was covering Coley. Have no idea what Brad was looking at but that's probably a score as well.

He doesn't see the field well...he has tunnel vision.

Advertisement
And.......as much as we hate Jimbo, he adjusted well in the second half. You can see, and I hate to admit it, that he is a better offensive play caller than Richt, hopefully not for long.
Richt didn't go for the onside kick following the missed extra point. His thinking was, he had 3 time outs and counting on Jimbo to run the ball to burn time hoping to stop the run and get the ball back. Jimbo, ran on first down as expected. On second down he faked the run, passed the ball (unexpectedly when you want to run the clock) and got the 10 yards. End of game. He played chess with Richt and beat him.

I love Richt, but at this stage, he is not on the same level of Jimbo managing the offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back