Rewatched Kaaya on that Final Play and Drive.

CaneFam305

Redshirt Freshman
I was critical of him throwing that interception into triple coverage. But after rewatching that last play i am now taking everything i said back about kaaya on that final play, ONLY. He did throw it in triple coverage but the playcalling was God awful. There were only 2 WRs and 1 TE on the field for the final play? Walford was jammed at the line immediately, i think the other receiver did a short route that was short of the 1st down marker and Dorsett was the only receiver going deep. Terrible, Kaaya threw the pick but it was either that or throw the ball away which both would have yielded the same result.

However where i do remain critical of him is on that miss to Yearby on the wheel route i think 2 or 3 plays before the interception. We were in a 4 wide spread formation and he had plenty of time to see if a receiver was getting in a spot to beat his man one on one but it looked like Kaaya immediately looked for Yearby without looking for his other options.

But the main problem with that final drive was the play calling. There was NO sense of urgency from the coaching staff and the QB, but obviously the bigger cause for concern would be the coaching staff. I dont know if the coaches didnt have any trust in the QB in that situation but it was just weird rewatching it. Out of that lack of sense of urgency came the terrible conservative playcalling on the FINAL DRIVE. I repeat Its the final drive, we should have been out trying to hurry up and gun it, quick tempo, get the defense off rhythm or something but nothing.

TOTAL COACHING STAFF FAILURE. I still am critical of Kaaya but the Coaches definitely failed him on that drive.

Advertisement
It was a 2 man pattern - look for Walford first and Dorsett second. We played right into their hands b/c they focused on stopping those 2 guys the second half.

They put a DB on Walford. The pattern should have been fake the out and break inward. The DB would have over played it. First down.

I wouoldn't have trusted Dorsett on that play.

It was a 2 man pattern - look for Walford first and Dorsett second. We played right into their hands b/c they focused on stopping those 2 guys the second half.

They put a DB on Walford. The pattern should have been fake the out and break inward. The DB would have over played it. First down.

I wouoldn't have trusted Dorsett on that play.

that 2 man pattern as you said is the problem. Just like you also said FSU had that covered from the jump. They knew we were going to try the middle. Should have been more creative and definitely should have went spread quick tempo the entire drive.

I have no problems with trusting Dorsett because all he does is make big plays to me, but the play calling was to easy to figure out.

That play was entirely on the coaches. Kaaya had nowhere to go with the ball. FSU recognized the formation, called a timeout, adjusted, and we ran the exact play they were expecting. Brilliant.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back