Reggie Reinstated

Advertisement
Wow, back in time for the NC State game. I was sure the NCAA would drag their feet on this.

Advertisement
Miami Hurricanes’ Reggie Johnson reinstated

Miami's Reggie Johnson (42) reacts following a basket against Duke during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game in Durham, N.C., Sunday, Feb. 5, 2012. Miami won 78-74 in overtime. GERRY BROOME / STF
WEDNESDAY’S GAME: UM MEN AT NORTH CAROLINA STATE

When/where: 9 p.m.; RBC Center, Raleigh, N.C.

Records: UM 17-10, 8-6 Atlantic Coast Conference, N.C. State 18-11, 7-7.

TV/radio: Raycom; WQAM 560.

Projected UM lineup: G Malcolm Grant, G Durand Scott, G Shane Larkin, F Kenny Kadji, DeQuan Jones.

Of note: The Canes lost to the Wolfpack 78-73 at home on Jan. 22. … The Wolfpack is coming off four losses in a row. … UM is jockeying for an NCAA Tournament berth and an ACC win on the road would be a big boost. … If the Canes win, it would be the first time they won nine ACC games in a season.

BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN
MKAUFMAN@MIAMIHERALD.COM
University of Miami center Reggie Johnson had his eligibility restored by the NCAA, and he was on a plane to Raleigh, N.C., on Tuesday night to join his teammates for Wednesday’s game at North Carolina State.

Johnson was declared ineligible by the school last week after UM and NCAA investigators discovered during the course of the Nevin Shapiro booster investigation that Johnson’s family members had accepted “impermissible travel benefits” from a former member of the Canes’ coaching staff. Shapiro was not involved in the infraction. The school said Johnson was unaware of the benefits, and that his family had been assured by the staff member that the benefit was permissible.

He sat out Sunday’s win over then-No. 15 Florida State, which will serve as the one-game “withholding penalty” imposed by the NCAA. Johnson was also ordered to repay the value of the benefits to a charity.

“We’re very excited for Reggie and his family that the NCAA determined that his eligibility can be restored and he can compete against N.C. State,” said coach Jim Larranaga, reached by phone. “He was thrilled with news when I spoke to him, and boarded a flight for Raleigh. He is from North Carolina, so it’s nice his family will be able to see him play.”

The Hurricanes (17-10, 8-6 Atlantic Coast Conference) are jockeying for a berth in the NCAA Tournament, and Larranaga expects Johnson to play a key role in the push.

“He is a major factor in the game because of his size and low-post scoring ability, and defensive rebounding,” he said. “We feel very, very confident that he can help us.”

Johnson is averaging 10.6 points and 6.9 rebounds.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/28/2666471/miami-hurricanes-reggie-johnson.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
It may just be me, but I think he needs to come off the bench and rest Kadji. He is not playing like a starter and we looked really good last game against FSU.

Advertisement
Back