Recruiting Philosophy

Walsh5

Recruit
I know the board has probably harped on this before... but I thought I'd share...

Chris Petersen: 'So many kids don't love football. They love recruiting'

In addition to lack of player development, this has been a big misstep the past decade when it comes to a lot of our high profile recruits...

I remember after the Virginia loss in '07 when we got blown at at the Orange Bowl, the last game to ever be played there, I saw some players (actual starters, not walk-ons) in the Sigma Chi frat house playing beer pong giggling away like nothing had happened... the attitude of entitlement has been here for well over a decade. Hopefully Richt is the guy to stamp it all out.

“The easy part as coaches is to put the tape on and go, ‘Yeah, he’s good enough.’ I used to always say it like that. ‘He’s good enough,’” Petersen said. “My coaches would look at me like, ‘What do you mean good enough? This is the top guy in the west.’ What I would mean by that is, physically, what he does on the field is good enough, but how well is he going to do when he gets with us? So many of these intangible factors.

“Is he really our kind of guy? Does he truly love football? On a scale of 1-10, does he love it at a 15? I make a big thing about that nowadays, because I think so many kids don’t love football. They love recruiting. They love being recruited. But when it comes down to loving the game when it’s Week 8, you’re sore and tired and you’re going to go out to practice to get better. Those guys are hard to find."

Advertisement
Really wanted Petersen here, along w/ many USCw fans....

This is spot on and this is exactly what Butch looked for. This is why a guy like Ed Reed, Santana Moss, Jonathan Vilma, Dan Morgan, along w/ the gawd S.T were ultra successful here. They LOVED football.

We need to start getting guys who love football again. Our 3 LBs, they love football. You can tell it in their spirits, their film studies. Even though they are inexperienced, they don't make a lot of mistakes (see Shaq's blow up on I. Ford at VT). We can't just get guys who "look good" on film or they have ideal football body sizes; we need guys who have chips on their shoulders, who love the physical and mental game of football. Guys that understand angles, body positioning, leveraging, and all the other nuances in football. Those are the guys who want to prove it's us against the world.

Advertisement
He just described every South Florida diva on the planet.

Every "diva." This is not exclusive to South Florida... Plus there are so many talented humble kids down here being overlooked still... We have to keep grinding on the recruiting front and find the right talent.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back