Read My Lips --- The Kids Will Be Alright

5n7

Retired staff
Premium
Been getting alot of "is it time to panic" texts lately and Im here to tell you as strongly as possible -- NO. Its not. Not even close. And heres why.

1) Now that we are a known commodity, teams have started to design specific gameplans for us and it shows. Its become harder to run our earlier-season simpler stuff.

2) We are a massive matchup problem for everybody. Teams are resorting to exceedingly negative tactics against us just to try and keep the game close till late. This is especially evident from Clemson and UVA, neither of whom tried to actually run any offense, preferring to settle for last second on the shot clock heaves.

3)Loose balls bouncing the other way. You dont beat Duke and Carolina by 50 without getting alot of loose balls bouncing your way. Lately, its been our opponents getting alot of fluky bounces and rolls.

4)Our shooting at the rim. When we were hot, we were converting 70-80% of shots at the rim. lately its been more like 50%.

5)Our 3 point shooting. When we were hot, it was at 40-50%. Lately its been 15-20%.

6)Our FT shooting. When we were hot? 70%ish. Lately? Lucky to break 50%.

7)Refs. Moving screens, handchecking Shane/Durand, and outright hacks on our bigs have become legal since we became a national story. We dont even get calls at home. Prepare your anuses for Durham.

So there are 7, count em...SEVEN major factors working against us in the last week or so. And yet? 13-0. Why?

These are the reasons why we are legit.

1)Experience. Were old and we never panic.

2)Defense. Everything can go against us but when our A+++ defense shows up every night, we stay in games until we start making some plays. How many shots did UVA hit in the first 30 seconds of the shot clock? One? Two maybe? They hit about 20 prayers as the clock expired. And still lost.

3)Coaching. The team is superbly prepared to take each of our opponents negative tactics and their best punches, and win anyways. Also, Coach L is simply brilliant at the end of games. Two wide open layups coming out of the final 2 timeouts tonight.

4)Talent. We have no holes. We can guard you alot easier than you can guard us. We can play fast or slow. And we can run different offenses. Take away the high screen? Now its dump down time, to perfection.

Just breathe guys. Isht Streaks happens. Great teams win anyways.

Advertisement
Exactly, any Top 5 team in the nation that has lost recently would love to play poorly and still win. I say this in about every thread, we will be fine.

We have a nice few days until our next game Saturday.

Kids probably need a day off, and stay away from everything, especially the NCAA sh*t.

Trust in Coach L

Advertisement
5n7, this fan base has never been here before, so panic is natural. This fan base needs to start believing in this team because they are legit. Pack the BankUnited center the final three games. This may be your only opportunity in your lifetime to see a history making team like this one. Go Canes!

These last 2 wins are the type of games that top 10 teams have been losing all year long. So while we aren't playing good ball, we're still coming out on top, which is something a lot of top teams can't say.

Another big factor is that the last two teams we have played play half-court ball. They slow the game down tremendously. The fact that we can win in a multitude of ways (uptempo, half-court, etc.) is phenomenal. We are obviously better when we play faster but to keep winning when we are slowed down is great.

Advertisement
Another big factor is that the last two teams we have played play half-court ball. They slow the game down tremendously. The fact that we can win in a multitude of ways (uptempo, half-court, etc.) is phenomenal. We are obviously better when we play faster but to keep winning when we are slowed down is great.

And gaining experience handling the slowed down/half-court game and a quick two game turnaround at the same time --- while winning.

I hope Coach L tells them to get away from basketball and just be 20 year olds (or in Gamble and Kadji's cases, 30 year olds) for a day or two.

THe team looked tired and ragged in the last 2 games. Hopefully they can get some rest and be back in rythm

Advertisement
LMAO at panic, as someone who has followed this school and it's sports programs for nearly 30 years I'm on freaking cloud 9 with the way this bball season is going. Yeah a lot of tight road games and a current cold stretch, but this team continues winning. Highest ranking in program history, undefeated in acc play after 14 games. ****** crown coach L!!

Didnt know where to put this but I thought this was awesome:

Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson Dwyane Wade on University of Miami influencing him and LeBron with pass off backboard: “It was UM. We give them the credit.’’

I saw that too -- that's awesome!

The only thing that worries me a bit with this team (other than lack of backcourt depth, which we can't do anything about) is our FT shooting. It's really hard to win close games with poor FT shooting... we've been fortunate a few times to escape with victories in spite of that.

Advertisement
I will say this about FT shooting, we seem to make them at the end of games. Our misses seem to be more in the beginning and middle of games. Now, obviously if we don't miss the early ones, some of the close games aren't as close, and we don't need to make them at the end.

I will say this about FT shooting, we seem to make them at the end of games. Our misses seem to be more in the beginning and middle of games. Now, obviously if we don't miss the early ones, some of the close games aren't as close, and we don't need to make them at the end.

Yup. We always make the ones that really, really count.

Bruce Pearl just dropped some knowledge on PTI's 5 good minutes. If Miami had Duke or North Carolina across the front of their shirts, nobody would care about the close wins, they would be resilient, not struggling.

Advertisement
Back