RB Rotation?

bshaw28

Junior
Of course the main focus of the FSU game was Richt's play calling and Kaaya's execution. But focusing on the RB's - I see a problem that needs to be fixed, and could have helped us win the game.

To me - It seems blatantly obvious that Yearby is more effective than Walton, and should be getting more carries.

1st Half

Drive 1 - No running plays (Walton on the field). Drive = Punt
Drive 2 - No running plays (Walton on the field). Drive = Punt
Drive 3 - Yearby, 4 for 19 yds. Drive = FG
Drive 4 - Walton 3 for 6 yds. Drives = Punt
Drive 5 - Yearby 3 for 13 yds. Drive = TD
Drive 6 - Walton 1 for 4 yds. Drive = FG

Halftime

Yearby = 7 for 32 yds, with 2 runs of 10+ yds. His 2 drives end in 10 points.
Walton = 4 for 10, with a long run of 4 yds. His 4 drives end in 3 points.

2nd Half

Yearby = 3 for 7 yds
Walton = 10 for 29 yds

Why did Walton get all the carries in the 2nd half? Yearby was clearly more effective and had the "hot hand". Why did Gus, who I think should be our starting RB, get meaningful carries against GT, get none against FSU?

What blew my mind more than anything was - We're 1st & 10 at the FSU 12, down 7 with 3 minutes to go, and Richt calls 3 straight runs for Walton. Walton goes 3 for 5 yds, and puts us in a 4th & 5 situation. Walton was 11 for 34 yds at that point, and he gets the ball 3 straight times. Why?

Everything I see with my eyes, and all the stats, point to Yearby being better than Walton, yet we continue to lean on Walton, who is highly ineffective.

Can someone help explain this to me? Walton being on the field because he's a better pass blocker is the only reason I can think of

Advertisement
If Gus knew how to use his body he'd start, but he doesnt. Yearby and Walton you can never tell who will perform better, both are very good

so Walton has a 45 yard TD run taken off the books due to a bs holding call that had absolutely nothing to do with the play and people dogged the kid because he didn't bust long runs on his other plays. not every rb is going to get 5+ yards everytime they touch the ball the occasional big breakout run helps offset the shtty runs. If you don't think RB being able to get credit for their long runs means anything in the grand scheme of things, just look at what Cook did outside of his 54yard run. 26/96/3.69ypc, doesn't seem as dominant but Cook did have the 54yrd run and did dominate us as a result of it.

so Walton has a 45 yard TD run taken off the books due to a bs holding call that had absolutely nothing to do with the play and people dogged the kid because he didn't bust long runs on his other plays. not every rb is going to get 5+ yards everytime they touch the ball the occasional big breakout run helps offset the shtty runs. If you don't think RB being able to get credit for their long runs means anything in the grand scheme of things, just look at what Cook did outside of his 54yard run. 26/96/3.69ypc, doesn't seem as dominant but Cook did have the 54yrd run and did dominate us as a result of it.

kid is also playing special teams. I respect walton.

Advertisement
Here we go with the "Gus should start" talk. Jesus Christ please make it stop. Next we'll hear how Trayone should be starting on one leg.

I'm not sure it really matters. Neither of these guys are great running backs.

Here's the thing about rb. Everyone focuses on speed and power but the things that are most important are vision, balance, patience. Give me the guy that has the vision and balance to wiggle through the line and pick up 3 yards when nothing is there. You could see it on display Saturday night. We had Cook bottled up in the backfield time and time again but he'd find a way to lean forward and slither through our defenders for 4 yards. Sitting there in the stand I'd say, **** we should have had him for a loss on that play. Walton is great if he gets in the open field. Decent speed, great power, can make guys miss and break tackles. But if there's not a big obvious hole he runs into the line and falls down. Now it's 2nd and 10 instead of 2nd and 6 with Cook. That's a big deal. It leads to more third and longs, less first downs, and the time of possession disparity that we had. I don't think that either Walton or Yearby have that "it" factor at rb.

Definitely agree that yearby may be starting

It's not on the stat sheet but remember Walton had that ridiculous touchdown call back. He has big play ability and maybe that's why coaches kept him in

I won't argue Gus over Yearby/Walton. Although it seems obvious to me. But Yearby over Walton seems obvious to me too.

Maybe this will help?

Since Walton's 80 yard run vs. App St.

Walton = 44 carries, 133 yds, 3.0 ypc
Yearby = 27 carries, 134 yds, 5.0 ypc

Walton = 9 carries went for No Gain or Lost yds (20%), 9 for 5+ yds (20%), 3 for 10+ yds (7%)
Yearby = 5 carries went for No Gain or Lost yds (18%), 11 for 5+ yds (40%), 5 for 10+ yds (18%)

12 Games Vs. Power 5 Teams the Last 2 Years

Walton = 122 carries, 372 yds, 3.0 ypc. He's averaged under 3.4 ypc in 10 of those 12 games.
Yearby = 183 carries, 807 yds, 4.4 ypc. He's averaged over 3.4 ypc in the last 8 of those games.

ACC Games

Walton = 2015: 75 carries, 254 yds, 3.4 ypc 2016: 29 carries, 83 yds, 2.9 ypc
Yearby = 2016: 133 carries, 515 yds, 3.9 ypc 2016: 19 carries, 104 yds, 5.4 ypc

Common Excuses I hear for Walton:

Walton has had big plays called back - Yes, most RB's get big gains when the OL is holding. Why do you think they got the big gain in the first place? Yes, Walton had a big play called back against FSU. Same excuse was used that last year he had some big runs called back. So i'll give you those couple plays. But can you explain why he hasn't had a run of more than 26 yards in his 122 carries vs. Power 5 teams?

The OL sucks - Not arguing here. But Yearby consistently gains more yards behind the same line, against the same opponents. I used this argument over and over when comparing Yearby and Cook. If 2 RB's play for the same team, and 1 RB is consistently getting more yards per carry, then he's the better RB. If Yearby is consistently getting more yards than Walton, then Yearby is the better option.

Walton's just had some bad games - Walton tore up FAMU! So did Yearby, Gus & Homer. Walton tore up FAU! Walton also tore up FAU last year. Yearby was 6+ ypc this year. So would've Gus & Homer if they got carries. Walton tore up App St.! No he didn't. After a lucky 80 yd run he was 15 - 50 yds. Is Kaaya judged more for what he did against FAMU/FAU/App St., or GT/FSU? Why isn't Walton judged the same way? Walton's never had a good game against a good opponent.

Walton Just doesn't Break Big Runs but Is More Effective - Stats show Walton gets stuffed or loses yards more often. He averages a much lower ypc. Take out Duke & UVA, and Walton has 10 games vs. Power 5 Teams. In those games he's had 100 carries, 264 yds, with only 3 carries over 10 yds, and a long run of 17 yds. He doesn't break long runs once in a while - he NEVER breaks long runs.

Walton has been better this year - He averaged 3.4 ypc in the ACC last year. He's averaging 2.9 ypc this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm a big Joe Yearby fan and he looked 10x more effective than Walton in the FSU game. When Joe wasn't getting blown up in the back field, he was slicing FSU and then, inexplicably in the 2nd half, we went away from him. Yearby can catch, make people miss, and has incredible vision and cut back ability...and he's a little hard to bring down. I don't get it. Yes, Walton had a really good run that didn't count, but Yearby should be the starter. He is our 1000 yard back w/ that same crappy OL.

Walton averages less than 3 yard a run Yearby averages 3.9 yards a run against FSU and we think Gus could do worst?? LMAO yall boys are hilarious

another year porsters still talking about cvalled back runs that happen to every RB...lol

Advertisement
Walton averages less than 3 yard a run Yearby averages 3.9 yards a run against FSU and we think Gus could do worst?? LMAO yall boys are hilarious

another year porsters still talking about cvalled back runs that happen to every RB...lol

That TD run doesn't get called back 9/10 times, and it was a beast run.

Find something else to cry about

Advertisement
Back