Ranking Canes Past Coaches

Anyone that lives in a world where 4 first round picks "is pretty much the same as a couple of 3rd-5th rounders" is completely stuck in their own mental vortex.

Do you bro.....

First off I'm talking about number of picks, secondly I said top 4 rounds, thirdly, you're completely missing the point again as usual. I love how when I throw all your other crap back at you with facts you ignore it. I provided the information you asked for. My point about basically the same is that we had talent on the team Golden got as well and that 4 players do not make a team. We had 4 guys who were in the higher rounds who all went in the very next draft. Butch received 4 first rounders, 3 of which went in the second draft.

You wanted to point out how many draft picks we had and then when I provided it, you ignored those numbers provided and only looked for what supported your statement. Someone who ignores all statements presented to them and only pick out what they want is completely stuck in their own mental vortex. You would make a good journalist in today's media. Put out the news first before checking facts and take everything out of context.

Either way, I've given enough time to this discussion so you can argue with yourself if you want. Time to enjoy the weekend. Hope you all have a good weekend (even you niner).

Advertisement
Anyone that lives in a world where 4 first round picks "is pretty much the same as a couple of 3rd-5th rounders" is completely stuck in their own mental vortex.

Do you bro.....

First off I'm talking about number of picks, secondly I said top 4 rounds, thirdly, you're completely missing the point again as usual. I love how when I throw all your other crap back at you with facts you ignore it. I provided the information you asked for. My point about basically the same is that we had talent on the team Golden got as well and that 4 players do not make a team. We had 4 guys who were in the higher rounds who all went in the very next draft. Butch received 4 first rounders, 3 of which went in the second draft.

You wanted to point out how many draft picks we had and then when I provided it, you ignored those numbers provided and only looked for what supported your statement. Someone who ignores all statements presented to them and only pick out what they want is completely stuck in their own mental vortex. You would make a good journalist in today's media. Put out the news first before checking facts and take everything out of context.

Either way, I've given enough time to this discussion so you can argue with yourself if you want. Time to enjoy the weekend. Hope you all have a good weekend (even you niner).

Now you want to just attempt to save face. Dont blame anyone but yourself for not understanding the point of looking up the players drafted. It was to reinforce the fact the team Butch took over was better than the team Golden took over. The number AND QUALITY of players drafted was far superior. Then you want to say, "well 4 first rounders doesnt make you a great team" or "the 4 fist rounders is pretty much the same as a 3rd and 5th rounder". No one was comparing the 95/96 teams to the greatest of all, the comparison is just to the 11/12 team, and the difference is not even close. You make yourself look real ignorant by keeping that stance because that is ridiculous.

You have to be absolutely, positively delusional.

Have we as a program fallen so far, for so long, that fans can't see the difference just how ****poor your expectations are?

Draft picks. Do you have any idea as to the situation of players Butch brought to Miami? I recall an entire boatload of no-names, with sometimes NO other offers. But oddly, they're in the UM hall of fame, and many are in the NFL hall of fame.

They weren't anything before Butch - just like Golden's no-names, but Butch made them household names.

What's Golden done?

You have to be absolutely, positively delusional.

Have we as a program fallen so far, for so long, that fans can't see the difference just how ****poor your expectations are?

Draft picks. Do you have any idea as to the situation of players Butch brought to Miami? I recall an entire boatload of no-names, with sometimes NO other offers. But oddly, they're in the UM hall of fame, and many are in the NFL hall of fame.

They weren't anything before Butch - just like Golden's no-names, but Butch made them household names.

What's Golden done?

I think this is the biggest fault of the golden fans. His recruiting hasn't even been average. His coaching is flat out atrocious. Biggest position of need to make his Defense go is DT and that has been a flat out failure.

Advertisement
1)Forum "postards"
2)Randy

3)Everyone other coach

4)Jimmy "because he can't win the big game"
(yes thats why EVERYONE hated him) ohhhhhh the memories
181.jpg

Last edited:
1)Forum "postards"
2)Randy

3)Everyone other coach
181.jpg

[video=youtube;3kYkpEPBTMU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYkpEPBTMU[/video]

Obviously bora is a parade fan...
first off i laughed. out loud

you forgot the worst hire in Miami's history. \
my number 4?

Also, I like people who have had success in life, not those who attack the successful. Those that have, know the time, energy and effort necessary to see something through until it's completion. There is a bigger picture than the one thats discussed here ad nauseum. I don't think most that post here see it. It isn't always about the now. Sometimes the why carries a greater value.

Last edited:
1)Forum "postards"
2)Randy

3)Everyone other coach
181.jpg

my number 4?

Also, I like people who have had success in life, not those who attack the successful. Those that have, know the time, energy and effort necessary to see something through until it's completion. There is a bigger picture than the one thats discussed here ad nauseum. I don't think most that post here see it. It isn't always about the now. Sometimes the why carries a greater value.

Dear God.

We have Ron Zook on the thread.

Ron, sometimes, in spite of your best intentions and desire, one is just not cut out for success in a particular endeavor.

Remember. There's always Barber College.

Advertisement
1)Forum "postards"
2)Randy

3)Everyone other coach
181.jpg

my number 4?

I like Al and want him to succeed (although the Penn St situation was handled horribly). I also understand there is a big picture. The problem is in this big picture, when your defense is rock bottom, there should be some improvement after 3 years.

1)Forum "postards"
2)Randy

3)Everyone other coach
181.jpg

my number 4?

I'm glad you laughed, that was the intent.

Success is based off results. Right now, Golden has very little to show based off his results. Granted we are stuck with him for at least the next 2 years.

I'm guessing it will be more of the same, but I hope he surprises me and fixes things across the board.

Advertisement
No love for Gus?

Probably 3/4 of the posters have very little knowledge of Gus. I'am old, so I remember him well.

The only thing Gus did wrong was not recruit Florida kids as he had more kids from PA than Fla

The talent was not in Fl at the time. PA had about 4 times the population of FL back then. FL has seen phenomenal population grow since that time. Couple that with the fact that Gus couldn't recruit blacks while the South was still segregated, and the story is told. So, Gus didn't do anything wrong in recruiting. He recruited the best talent available to him.

Jimmy Johnson invented the modern 4-3 defense, and changed the NFL with it. However said Dennis was the XO's king might want to consider that.

Jimmy was probably the overall greatest coach bc of what he accomplished after UM. but I believe the best coaching job performed AT UM was Howard. He took a Wake Forest or worse level program and in five years turned it into a national champion. There is no Miami without him. We are blessed to be able to have an argument between which of these two masters was our best.

As far as talent identification and development, Butch Davis was easily the greatest. Guy proved it here and at UNC with insane NFL production from his players.

Dennis did his job until it fell apart. He and Coker are very similar.

Al Golden hasn't shown the type of player development Id been hoping for. His tenure has been really disappointing overall.

Randy was the worst coach in program history, and the worst in any sport I've personally seen. His claim to fame is running one page out of Wanstadt's playbook with a million first rounders on D.

Most great HC's have their moment when it all comes together and they shine. As they age they skip. Even Shula could never regain that greatness of the early 70's. We had Howard at the right moment. JJ came in a little early has did some on the job learning and then peaked with Dallas. He came to the Fins and was just another guy. It is the reason I have never wanted our coaches to be those stay forever dudes. St Bobby won 2 NC is hundred years! Give me a break. Now you get Bear or something then maybe, but that day is gone. Our problem is the administration's inability to pick a good coach about to peak. Even if we got Butch back, he is probably seen his day.

Butch wasn't a gameday coach,but Butch can evaluate like no other.When you're a bad gameday coach but can load the roster with Jimmies and Joes you're going to win a lot just on talent.

Advertisement
Butch wasn't a gameday coach,but Butch can evaluate like no other.When you're a bad gameday coach but can load the roster with Jimmies and Joes you're going to win a lot just on talent.

You don't have to be a good gameday coach if you hire good assistants.

Assuming we're not going further back than Howard:

1. JJ
2. Schnelly in his prime -- remember, he built us up from nothing
3. Butch

4. Golden: From a recruiting perspective, I like what Golden is doing. I only count 2-3 JAGs each year from the past two classes and the 2015 verbals. The talent isn't BCS yet, but getting there and well above ACC Coastal. Community outreach is also in top 4. His history of talent development also seems strong. But coaching tree and game day management are major open questions. If he doesn't get these fixed this year, he won't be in the discussion.

5. Erickson: Good game-day manager. But lost control of the team, opened the program to scandal, poor recruiter.
6. Coker
7. Shannon

Real talk, bruh, Erickson might be the least of our championship winning coaches(excluding Coker who one only because of Butch's players), but he coached the team to 2 titles, and the 1991 championship had only his fingerprints on it.

Al Golden is not fit to be on Dennis Erickson's staff.

An argument could be made for Coker or Shannon over Golden.

Andy Gustafson and Jack Harding are certainly above Golden.

Last edited:
Assuming we're not going further back than Howard:

1. JJ
2. Schnelly in his prime -- remember, he built us up from nothing
3. Butch

4. Golden: From a recruiting perspective, I like what Golden is doing. I only count 2-3 JAGs each year from the past two classes and the 2015 verbals. The talent isn't BCS yet, but getting there and well above ACC Coastal. Community outreach is also in top 4. His history of talent development also seems strong. But coaching tree and game day management are major open questions. If he doesn't get these fixed this year, he won't be in the discussion.

5. Erickson: Good game-day manager. But lost control of the team, opened the program to scandal, poor recruiter.
6. Coker
7. Shannon

Two words for Golden: Defensive tackle.

Erickson recruited the 91 team and was close to winning in 92/94. He hated recruiting, but was actually pretty good at it.

19.gif

Advertisement
Back