Rambo, Johnson talk UM transfer, 2021 expectations

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Back in January, former Oklahoma senior WR Charleston Rambo became part of the Miami Hurricanes’ transfer class ahead of the 2021 season, and he talked yesterday about how he landed on UM as his school of choice to finish out his college career.

“It was a big decision,” Rambo said. “A lot of schools came at me, the options were pretty open. It’s just, [Miami players] came at me, a few players. (D’Eriq) King, knowing how he played at Houston and what he did there, how he can function with coach (Rhett) Lashlee, coach (Rob) Likens, the offense - it was `I can fit in.’ Coach Likens, how he builds up his past receivers - I wanted to go somewhere and work. Me and Likens are on the same page. It felt right.”

As a sophomore at OU in 2019, Rambo broke out with 43 catches for 743 yards and 5 TD’s, but took a step back as a junior last season (25-312-3) and lost playing time to younger Sooners receivers as the season went along. Despite his 2020 setback, Rambo feels he is on the verge of returning to his sophomore form with the Canes this year.

“Hearing guys say `Can he get back to the person of 2019?', I see that. I’m a better person than I was,” Rambo said. “Other than that, just put it on tape, do better with the job. Bigger, faster, stronger Charleston.”

Miami returns all of their starting receivers in 2021, but overall, the group struggled with drops and consistency issues last year. Still, Rambo says he has high hopes for the unit as a whole this coming season.

“Going through mat drills, workouts, 7-on-7, throwing the ball around with the QBs, we have a lot of potential with the young guys,” Rambo said. “We want to feed off each other. They can watch me and I can help them, let them know. We just learn from each other right now, bonding.”

With a prime opportunity to take hold of a starting job at UM and further his potential pro prospects, Rambo says he’s focusing on maximizing his strengths in 2021.

“What I do best - in the weight room I go to our running backs and say `Come my way running the ball,'” Rambo said. “(My strengths are) route running, speed, getting open - that’s what you want to do… Most important is get my work done, do my thing, get to the league, do my thing.”

**After spending 4 years in the SEC, former Tennessee senior DE Deandre Johnson had his college career come full circle when he decided to transfer to the Miami Hurricanes in January, returning home to South Florida where football career originally began at Miami Southridge High.

“Last season, finishing out the season at Tennessee I had a big decision to make on whether I wanted to go pro or come back to school, got a good feeling on coming back to school,” Johnson said. “Once I hit the portal, Miami was one of the first schools to contact me and it all made sense, coming back home, a loyal fan base, a scheme that fits me. It was pretty much a no-brainer.”

In making his choice of UM, Johnson says he consulted former Miami Southridge teammates and current Hurricanes such as Dee Wiggins and Mark Pope, as well as former Canes and Miami natives Jaquan Johnson and Sheldrick Redwine.

“I had a pretty good feeling for the program, how things are run here,” Johnson said. “The U has first round picks, that’s so appealing, stuck out to me bigtime.”

Johnson has also already connected with Miami DL coach Jess Simpson, and he sees Simpson as someone that can help take his game to the next level.

"Coach Simpson is a great teacher," Johnson said. "That is the first thing I take away from him. He comes into the room with great energy and great passion. He gives it everything to coach football and I am learning a lot from him and I can’t wait to see my game progress."

As a junior in 2020, Johnson came on in his first year as a starter for the Volunteers, finishing the year with 28 tackles, 6 TFL, and 4.5 sacks.

“Last year being my first as really a full-time starter, a couple of things I felt I needed to come back and work on to improve my stock, leave college the right way, with winning,” Johnson said. “I’m just excited man, it’s a great opportunity to bring the U back to where it should be.”

Advertisement
15-0

Fred Williamson Movie GIF

THIS... I never got the same sense from our other receivers.

“What I do best - in the weight room I go to our running backs and say `Come my way running the ball,'” Rambo said. “(My strengths are) route running, speed, getting open - that’s what you want to do… Most important is get my work done, do my thing, get to the league, do my thing.”

Pope and Wiggins are on notice. They need to be glue sticks or Rambo is taking a starting spot.

A lot of the kids truly want to bring the program back to better heights than they received it. Here’s hoping they’re all willing and able to put in the grind necessary to actually do it. With 19/22 starters back we should continue to improve record wise in what will be a full season for 2021. There’s no reason at all with what we’re bringing back plus the transfers and the ‘21 recruiting class that we don’t easily win the Coastal and enact revenge on UNC for that horrible loss last season. Then give Bama and Clemson a run for the money ending the season 11-2 or 10-3. Then go to the OB game and do something that’s a rarity recently in bowl games - win. We do all that, then there’s real tangible momentum for the program moving forward.

Advertisement
Did not like that don’t drop the **** ball wasn’t in his top 3 strengths he gave lol just kidding (sorta)

Pope and Wiggins are on notice. They need to be glue sticks or Rambo is taking a starting spot.
Keyshawn Smith and Michael Redding both have amazing opportunities in front of them this spring/summer and season. You could just see the tremendous ability in both of them last year. Smith was getting open deep in almost every opportunity he got last season and Redding just looks like a natural out there. With the bit of experience they gained last season and an entire off season to train, learn and get coached up, don't be surprised to see these 2 make their names known in 2021. Pope and Wiggins are going to have to really step up in order to get even half the playing time they got last year. Factor in Restrepo, Payton plus the true freshmen Smith, Brinson and George and this entire group has the chance to make this position a strength again.

Advertisement
Him and Rique r hanging out w frats often already, they need to be smarter. They’re making very stupid decisions right now.

How do failing grades work with transfers who are going to leave school after the Fall for the NFL Spring draft? They'd be ineligible for the bowl, I assume. But would it be caught before finals in December?

How do failing grades work with transfers who are going to leave school after the Fall for the NFL Spring draft? They'd be ineligible for the bowl, I assume. But would it be caught before finals in December?
It’s not grade related. It’s extra curricular that needs to stop.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back