Quick start to recruitment includes UM offer for 2022 WR Kikwata

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2022 Northwest (MD) WR Peter Kikwata recently kicked off his recruitment in an interesting way, earning his first 12 FBS offers in a four-day flurry this May, including from Power 5 schools such as Penn State, Tennessee, WVU, Pitt, and Kentucky.

“It’s been going smooth, a lot of schools have been showing love,” Kikwata said of his recruiting process. “I’ve been building relationships with different coaches.”

Another one of those offers came from Miami Hurricanes WR coach Rob Likens, something Kikwata saw as a huge moment for his recruiting process.

“Oh man, it felt great, almost unreal,” Kikwata said of the UM offer. “It’s just so rare for someone from the Mid-Atlantic to get a Miami offer as a sophomore, so that shows how much they liked my game and the potential they see in me. I was just blessed and grateful.”

The 6-1 170 pound prospect has begun building a connection with Likens, who hasn’t shied away from trying to find the best fits for his WR room regardless of what area the country they may be from.

“He was telling me how he’d like for me to have a strong consideration into their program,” Kikwata said of Likens. “He also talked about the relationship we’d build as we move forward in this recruiting process the next 2 years.”

At Miami, a strong track record of manufacturing NFL talent in past years is something that intrigues Kikwata about possibly playing for the orange and green.

“What I like about Miami is the history they have with producing great players and getting them ready to excel at the next level - Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Sean Taylor, Andre Johnson, and many more,” Kikwata said. “I’ve been a fan of Miami football and their program. Also, I love the environment.”

In terms of other colleges, Penn State and WR coach Taylor Stubblefield were the first program to extend Kikwata an offer, and he says the Nittany Lions are one school standing out early.

“I love their fans, they show me a lot of love on social media,” Kikwata said of PSU. “I also have a very good relationship with coach Stubbs.”

Still, with a recruitment that began in the middle of the coronavirus shutdowns, Kikwata has yet to take any visits and there’s uncertainty of when that may be able to happen in the future. With that in mind, it’s no surprise that he is electing to take things slow for now.

“The only downfall is I can’t really go visit schools yet with this pandemic going on, but I’m looking forward to finally being able to go visit schools soon,” Kikwata said. “As of now, I don’t think about a (decision) timeline yet because I know many other schools are going to come into the picture. So I just want to take my time and not rush anything and pray I make the right decision when all is said and done.”

Kikwata played his first two seasons of high school ball at Watkins Mill High, but has decided to make the in-state transfer to Northwest High for his junior year in 2020.

“I’m shifty with great acceleration,” Kikwata said. “I’m good at setting up the DB and causing separation. Also, when the ball is in the air, I go attack it, I don’t wait for it to come to me. I play bigger than I actually am, and use my long arms to my advantage.”

Advertisement
My neck of the woods. Definitely a legit program. They had a 4star WR that graduated last year and always have quality talent. Will check him out

Advertisement
Back