Question about Offense..

ajone228

Recruit
SIAP but watching the game and noticing the struggle our O-line was having along with the issue with the WR's.

Why didn't Lashlee move the pocket any? I remember him doing it against UAB some but I didn't notice it at all during the Clemson game and with Pitt defense being stout I would expect to move it a little this weekend.

Advertisement
SIAP but watching the game and noticing the struggle our O-line was having along with the issue with the WR's.

Why didn't Lashlee move the pocket any? I remember him doing it against UAB some but I didn't notice it at all during the Clemson game and with Pitt defense being stout I would expect to move it a little this weekend.
He was out coached, froze and defaulted to what he knew... and got nowhere.

We could have done so much yet Lash saw fit just to keep running IZ run plays and pretty basic stuff. No getting the RBs/TEs involved in the mid passing game, no screens, no pocket movements., etc

We could have done so much yet Lash saw fit just to keep running IZ run plays and pretty basic stuff. No getting the RBs/TEs involved in the mid passing game, no screens, no pocket movements., etc
I am honestly starting to believe that our O-Line cant block certain stuff, so they dont mess with it.

Advertisement
Clemson made it incredibly hard on our OL and King in particular basically because they said "we don't give two fvcks about these JAG's you have on the outside" and sent extra guys constantly. When they didn't, they only seemed to rush three and King had a million years to throw, but nobody could get any separation in man looks or find open grass when they played zone.

They also (from what I recall) did a great job of setting edges to contain King in the pocket for the most part, even on the plays where they weren't getting pressure.

I think a majority of the negative plays and sacks weren't necessarily attributable to terrible OL play but rather a lack of winning one-on-one matchups on the outside, and/or not having enough guys to block all of their box defenders. The last part is 100% on Lashlee to adjust to - max protection, moving the pocket, etc.

Lashlee not involved with the recruiting of the vast majority of the players on offense. He has done a he'll of a lot better with the offense than the previous 2 staffs. I can not see the future but I have confidence in him being able to get the most of out of what he has the rest of the season. I like our freshmen wide recievers but none of them were on the whose who list when they showed up. Our upper classmen in that position working with 3rd set of offensive coaches in 3 years. They have not developed at all. None of them physical enough to win one on one battles even if they could catch..Do they avoid the weight room? The offense is still in a developmental stage with Lashlee. Did anyone really expect miracles after playing one defense with half a pulse the first 3 games

Advertisement
when did I say that? by defaulting to what he knew, his tendencies were handled by Venebles gameplan
Not trying to argue, just using those two games as examples.

Just because he got shook, why resort to runs up the middle and hail marys. Why stop running what worked the last two games? I just don't understand it. There is no way he thought that would work.

Run the offense you were hired to run, what the offense bought into in the off season and why King came to Miami, and if you get beat, get better at it.

Saying he resorted to what he knows, doesn't he know the spread, up temp , air raid, whatever you call it? Just asking.

Venebales made him **** all over himself

They blitzed almost every down not a ton our line was ever going to do vs a team like Clemson. We called to our weaknesses against a superior team and they dumped all over us.

Not trying to argue, just using those two games as examples.

Just because he got shook, why resort to runs up the middle and hail marys. Why stop running what worked the last two games? I just don't understand it. There is no way he thought that would work.

Run the offense you were hired to run, what the offense bought into in the off season and why King came to Miami, and if you get beat, get better at it.

Saying he resorted to what he knows, doesn't he know the spread, up temp , air raid, whatever you call it? Just asking.
Young OC against the best DC in college football. He can call a bad game man just probably was like a deer in headlights hopefully he grows as a caller too. Sucks that it was the way it was but give the guy some slack he completely changed our O in 6 months

Advertisement
Young OC against the best DC in college football. He can call a bad game man just probably was like a deer in headlights hopefully he grows as a caller too. Sucks that it was the way it was but give the guy some slack he completely changed our O in 6 months
Yup. I'm all in with Lashlee, that's why it hurt so bad. I love his style of offense. And I think he'll get back to it with Pitt.

Looking forward to this game more than last weeks.

How hard is it to incorporate some outside zone runs? I have seen more run game diversity from lesser teams that run similar offenses. Hope there are multiple reasons beyond lack of practice time and average talent on the O-line that his run game is so basic. Regardless he needs to show more or we will continue to get stone walled by teams with half way decent DC's.

Lashlee has been in big games before. National championship vs fspoo in 2013-2014 season. I know he’s wasn’t the main guy cause of Gus but still. That was embarrassing

Advertisement
If there was any team in the ACC who would have been completely prepared for the offense we displayed in our previous games it would be Clemson. Even a novice would know that.

Lashlee is not a novice and he had TWO WEEKS to add new plays ; and/or add new wrinkles to plays that LOOKED like our standard plays but weren't.

Why Lashlee didn't take the additional time to do so blows my mind.

The only reason I can envision for standing pat would be overconfidence. Actually believing that your offense with King as the driver was unstoppable.

Well, now we know ANY offense can be stopped....against a team with the right players it can happen; against a team with the the right coaches it can happen...BUT against a team with BOTH the right players AND the right coaches...IT WILL HAPPEN.

So you gotta add something fresh against them

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back