Public vs Private Tuition: Mythbusters Edition

He never gets past High A. Some of his problem is in his head, but when Rosario misses it is usually over the plate and he misses a lot. McFarlane went in the 25th round and he had much better stuff than Rosario. I just don't see it with Rosario.
Def a mental thing. He seems to get down the minute something goes wrong. He cant just walk a guy or hit a guy then make a big pitch. It seems to snowball at times.

But his stuff could be elite. A mid to upper 90's 2 seam , a slider that at times has big time bite when he stay on it and doesn't spin off, and a change that is solid too.

Maybe once they start talking to him they see he is to much of a project. But I think his stuff is as good as anyone we have had recently. But at some point you do have to start getting guys out consistently.

His 2 seamer at times has a higher horizontal break and drops less. So it tends to become a running fastball. I'd be interested to see his grip and where he applies pressure or how deep in his hand he holds it. Its also why he should mix in a 4 seamer that he could spot up a bit more effectively and give good hitters another look.

Advertisement
The tuition issue is a disadvantage, particularly recruiting against FU and Forfeit State, made even worse by Not-so-Bright Futures;
We don't cast a wide enough net in recruiting;
We underachieve with the talent we do have;
We also need to recruit better in the state of Florida as a whole;
We need to get more creative with NIL for baseball;
Coaching is a serious issue, where we never seem to be able to put together complete performances.

All these things can be true at once. There are a lot of "either/or" strawmen going on in this thread.

/end thread

Cost of education has increased 2 to 3 times the rate of inflation over the last 20 years.

I think Florida has 6 kids from out of state. 4 of the 6 are grad transfers. Getting into UF means you essentially qualify for Bright Futures. That does not mean UF baseball players qualify but tuition is $6 per year. Miami is 8 to 9 times more. Room and board is a pittance of Miami's.
In state tuition at Uf 6k, out of state 30k. And as someone pointed out only 7 Uf players are out of state. That's a big deal.

I honestly think we have a nice chunk of players if developed more that would be a legit core. You see flashes for short periods with some of these guys.

I also think we need to spend more time in the private school sector from VA up to Massachusetts. There is money and talent and schools like Wake, UVA, and UNC have feasted there. Schools in the Inter-Ac (a private school conference in PA) cost 50k per year.

BTW Rosario drives us all mad. But watch when he gets drafted this year much higher than most would expect. When he gets pro coaching and they tinker with pitch design, and finger placement he could become a steal. They will tighten up some things and likely add/work on his four-seamer. It would not shock me if he went in the top 5 rounds.
And be a solid pro.

Advertisement
Def a mental thing. He seems to get down the minute something goes wrong. He cant just walk a guy or hit a guy then make a big pitch. It seems to snowball at times.

But his stuff could be elite. A mid to upper 90's 2 seam , a slider that at times has big time bite when he stay on it and doesn't spin off, and a change that is solid too.

Maybe once they start talking to him they see he is to much of a project. But I think his stuff is as good as anyone we have had recently. But at some point you do have to start getting guys out consistently.

His 2 seamer at times has a higher horizontal break and drops less. So it tends to become a running fastball. I'd be interested to see his grip and where he applies pressure or how deep in his hand he holds it. Its also why he should mix in a 4 seamer that he could spot up a bit more effectively and give good hitters another look.
When he is taught how to really spin the ball, watch out

Advertisement
We have another class coming in that is top 10 as well. You never know what a kid will decide with the draft but Cuvet the corner guy with big-time pop seems to be our only extremely high draft pick potentially. Obviously, others could go later and still decide to go pro. I just hope we get the 2 big-time SS on campus. Both have some legit tools and the one has elite speed. (names are escaping)
Eric Fernandez & Adrian Santana?

My quick answer - in general, 20+ years ago Miami was merely expensive, but at over (or close to) 100k/year it's cost prohibitive.
It’s cost prohibitive, AND unless you are getting legit merit aid(which is harder and harder to come by thanks to the changing student body), there isn’t nearly as much relief. People forgot how easy it was to get at least a break on tuition during the Foote and Shalala years, you had to be a moron to not get at least a quarter ride. That has changed. Kids that would have gotten 3/4ths ride 15 years ago are now getting half due to the fact that the student body is a lot more competitive.

Advertisement
Anyone with close ties to the program should tell them to call Iona Prep in NY. They have a kid named Sebastian Olson 6'3ish 200lb LHP. one of the op uncommitted guys up that way. 88-92 right now. He will sit low 90's by the fall 0f 2024 when he is a freshman. Has a solid change and slider and the frame can def fill out to 225.

He is a Canes National Kid so there is a relationship with that program. But assuming maybe we lose 1-2 recruits to the draft, a few off the current staff and a few guys dont develop and are asked to leave this would be a nice pick up late. I guarantee those mid south ACC teams and Vandy are all on this kid in the event they need someone late.

Advertisement
Back