Progression

umfire

Redshirt Freshman
I am looking for how units of the team change over the course of the season. Improve/weaken.

Let's (taking schedule strength in mind) look:

1. CBs -- about flat so far. Some good, some bad. Rumph gets a lot of coaching love here but he has also had a borderline elite DL since he's been here.

2. S -- Woof. Diaz asks a lot of his Safeties and they have been arguably the worst unit on the team. Not impressive. Bolden might help.

3. DT -- we lost an elite DT. We don't have one yet on the roster. However, Jordan Miller looks much improved and we are solid here. Not great but solid.

4. DE -- No improvement. But a lot has to do with scheme here. Garvin clearly enjoyed having Chad Thomas across from him -- now it's Patchan. Rousseau is clearly the real talent here. The run D has been sneakily excellent, but we are less aggressive and over-reliant on unnecessary stunts.

LBs -- flat. We are what we are. Good. Not great. We struggle, as we have for 2 years, in coverage. This group works best moving forward not laterally.

Advertisement
Thanks, I have been a moderator on Shadows board for a while, and was hoping to try and mix it up

Thanks, I have been a moderator on Shadows board for a while, and was hoping to try and mix it up

That is not something to write home about.

The circle jerk of idiots over there banned me for saying Al Golden was trash in 2015. How did that turn out?

Lol go back

Advertisement
I am looking for how units of the team change over the course of the season. Improve/weaken.

1. CBs -- about flat so far. Some good, some bad. Rumph gets a lot of coaching love here but he has also had a borderline elite DL since he's been here.

2. S -- Woof. Diaz asks a lot of his Safeties and they have been arguably the worst unit on the team. Not impressive. Bolden might help.

3. DT -- we lost an elite DT. We don't have one yet on the roster. However, Jordan Miller looks much improved and we are solid here. Not great but solid.

4. DE -- No improvement. But a lot has to do with scheme here. Garvin clearly enjoyed having Chad Thomas across from him -- now it's Patchan. Rousseau is clearly the real talent here. The run D has been sneakily excellent, but we are less aggressive and over-reliant on unnecessary stunts.

LBs -- flat. We are what we are. Good. Not great. We struggle, as we have for 2 years, in coverage. This group works best moving forward not laterally.

If we're talking about improvements from game_1 to game_2 and then to game_3 with strength of schedule--whats the formula you use to determine each position? Eyeball test? How do you account for players getting more reps, the bench getting reps? Do you weigh game_3 experience more than game_1 experience? To me, each of these units looks to have improved over 3 games (with strength of schedule considered). Except for naysayers' KrazyKane, ToiletWater, Canesman2, and their ilk; I don't think anyone here would say Mid-September form Miami_Hurricanes wouldn't win a rematch against the Florida Gators with a healthy Felipe Franks.

The bold is what I pretty much got from each position group (of the ones you mentioned)--a lot of criticism. The Orange bold seems disingenuous since they are words prefaced with negative adjectives. Rather you just gave a thumbs up or thumbs down and not waffled on your assessment. You make your argument weak when you say "Some Good, Some Bad" or "Good. Not great."

With the exception of the Carolina game, the db's have been ballin. The one big pass play in the gaytor game was more on banda's crew, causd frierson actually played that coverage perfect, carter came up to much.

Against the gaytors and Bethune, the db's have been better than solid. As for garvin, he has been asked to be a spy in about 2 games, specifically in the gaytor game, but it was him who put the pressure on felipe when he threw that pick to romeo, and its not about garvin having joie jacjson across from him, it has to do from movi g from being a weakside defensive end to the strong side. He's been doing an excellent job for what he's being asked to do, its not about his stats. Our run defense is not where its at by happens stance, all 4 of our guys are good run defenders. As far as our linebackers go, they have maxed out, one of the biggest plays in that gaytor game was when pickney let pitts get back to the outside and get that first down instead of stopping him for minimal gain.

Advertisement
With the exception of the Carolina game, the db's have been ballin. The one big pass play in the gaytor game was more on banda's crew, causd frierson actually played that coverage perfect, carter came up to much.

Against the gaytors and Bethune, the db's have been better than solid. As for garvin, he has been asked to be a spy in about 2 games, specifically in the gaytor game, but it was him who put the pressure on felipe when he threw that pick to romeo, and its not about garvin having joie jacjson across from him, it has to do from movi g from being a weakside defensive end to the strong side. He's been doing an excellent job for what he's being asked to do, its not about his stats. Our run defense is not where its at by happens stance, all 4 of our guys are good run defenders. As far as our linebackers go, they have maxed out, one of the biggest plays in that gaytor game was when pickney let pitts get back to the outside and get that first down instead of stopping him for minimal gain.

People said the same about Joe Jack last season and Chad the year before playing strong side. It's the nature of the position and not reflective of the talent of the player. What's good is that these guys know the deal and seem to be stepping up with no selfish concerns about their perceived lack of production.

The DL has not been elite. Good but not elite. I can’t name the last DL that got drafted in the 1-2 round. We miss out on the elite DL in recruiting every year. That being said the CB and safety position has been the most consistent in past years. Safeties this year are not good. All of them looks reluctant to fill lanes and stiff. They have a lot to improve.

People said the same about Joe Jack last season and Chad the year before playing strong side. It's the nature of the position and not reflective of the talent of the player. What's good is that these guys know the deal and seem to be stepping up with no selfish concerns about their perceived lack of production.

Exactly man, team first approach and playing for the man aside you is what wins championships, but my main ford do need to register at least 1 tackle, lol. I dont know if its True or not but i read somewhere "in 3 games he has 0 tackles, lol. But they doubling him up alot, he's definitely a clog up front though. When a team cant run, shut that **** down they gotta try something else. Also teams are not trying to leave their qb's out to dry playing against us, so they getting the ball out quick and picking their spots. I luv how Carolina attacked us, they said ****, we not gone assume their db's are top notch, make em prove and they went at us, we got better because of that game, and i still havent seen a ball completed on Blades yet. But anyway, going to be good seeing this team blosom, i luv what im seeing from jordan miller, this guy is about to either take somebody spot come this year or maybe by next year, he has that type of potential, im glad he redshirted, when i first saw his film, like Zion, i said those are 2 real good pick ups! This team has a lot of serious talent all over the place, just a matter of time now before the fear in college football starts coming back, the work ethic within the team has risen, and we got real leaders sprinkled all over the team, all manny has to do now is keep learning the overall how to's as a headcoach and we'll be on our way!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back