Preseason Thread/Rankings

Advertisement
Sounds a tad generous to me, but at least it looks like the ACC is not that strong next year if ND is the highest ranked at 10. That said, these pre-season rankings are often WAG.

Advertisement
Ranked 18th by PG

Other ACC Teams
5 Notre Dame
7 NC State
11 Georgia Tech
15 Florida State

Ranked 25th by BA

ACC Teams
4 Notre Dame
5 Virginia (Massive outlier from the others)
12 Florida State
16 NC State
21 Georgia Tech

I don’t understand the love for NC State. They are only bringing back 5 of their core guys and will be relying on a bunch of Juco transfers and freshman to play MAJOR roles. They could turn out to be really good, but the preseason love doesn’t make much sense.

Advertisement
I don’t understand the love for NC State. They are only bringing back 5 of their core guys and will be relying on a bunch of Juco transfers and freshman to play MAJOR roles. They could turn out to be really good, but the preseason love doesn’t make much sense.
Maybe some sympathy votes after last year's CWS debacle.

Agree, very overrated based on their CWS run last year.

FSU is underrated OTOH. Probably the best pitching staff in the country. Louisville too, hard to see them having 2 down years in a row

Agree, very overrated based on their CWS run last year.

FSU is underrated OTOH. Probably the best pitching staff in the country. Louisville too, hard to see them having 2 down years in a row
Did they bring everyone back? It’s almost time for me to dive into baseball. I’ll have to check everyone out. I just know State isn’t what everybody thinks they are. At least not yet.

Advertisement
Did they bring everyone back? It’s almost time for me to dive into baseball. I’ll have to check everyone out. I just know State isn’t what everybody thinks they are. At least not yet.

Our probable weekend rotation is one of the most talented we've ever had, potentially of course. D1Baseball thinks we could have an Omaha ceiling, but there's a ton of uncertainity.

Fri - Rosario: Projected 1st-2nd rd pick in 2023
Sat - Palmquist: Projected 1st-2nd rd pick
Sun - McFarlane: Projected 3rd-4th rd pick.

FSU is on a different level though:

Fri - Messick: ACC Pitcher of the Year and a projected 1st-2nd rd pick
Sat - Hubbart: Projected 1st rd pick
Sun - Montgomery: #1 pitching prospect in 2023

Then FSU has the deepest bullpen in the ACC. I'd have them preseason top 5.

Our probable weekend rotation is one of the most talented we've ever had, potentially of course. D1Baseball thinks we could have an Omaha ceiling, but there's a ton of uncertainity.

Fri - Rosario: Projected 1st-2nd rd pick in 2023
Sat - Palmquist: Projected 1st-2nd rd pick
Sun - McFarlane: Projected 3rd-4th rd pick.

FSU is on a different level though:

Fri - Messick: ACC Pitcher of the Year and a projected 1st-2nd rd pick
Sat - Hubbart: Projected 1st rd pick
Sun - Montgomery: #1 pitching prospect in 2023

Then FSU has the deepest bullpen in the ACC. I'd have them preseason top 5.
I knew Messick was back but didn’t know about the others. I didn’t pay any attention to them last year.

Miami will go as far as Palm takes us. I am not a fan of him getting a starting role. Think he’s way more valuable in the bullpen. But my opinion can change if somebody else steps up as a reliable closer. We’ll see. I’m (very) cautiously optimistic about this season.

Advertisement
Take from it what you will: Rosario and McFarlane started the opening scrimmage last night.

Take from it what you will: Rosario and McFarlane started the opening scrimmage last night.
What are we thinking? Rosario McFarlane and Garland as the weekend guys? Will Palmquist get a chance? Maybe one of the freshmen for mid week?

What are we thinking? Rosario McFarlane and Garland as the weekend guys? Will Palmquist get a chance? Maybe one of the freshmen for mid week?

I think Rosario and Palmquist are almost locks. Seems like they want McFarlane to be the 3rd guy, but he wasn't consistent in the Fall or today. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being moved to a set up/closer role like Veliz was.

If not McFarlane, one of the freshman might be more likely than Garland. Rafe reportedly looked good today.

Advertisement
Back