Potential Postseason/Draft Changes

scane

Redshirt Freshman

The combination of the proposals reducing the number of affiliated minor league teams (and players) along with full scholarships for seniors that don’t count against the allotment could see a notable increase in players staying for four years.

My feelings about splitting the regionals into two weekends are mixed. We would host something more often and it’s easier on pitching staffs. On the other hand, the regionals are arguably the most entertaining weekend of the tournament and it would run the risk of diluting the regular season a bit.

Advertisement
The MLB proposal would be a radical shift. It's tough to predict how it would affect our program with it still being just a proposal. Moving the draft back means more draft-eligible Sophs, which isn't good for us. If the draft is cut to 20-25 rounds though you'd have more players staying in/going to school, especially if schollies are increased. At the same time I think MLB teams would be even more aggressive with trying to make sure high-end HS talent doesn't make it to college.

I really don't like the changing the Regionals format. I think the post-season format is great as it is, and I agree Regionals are the most exciting weekend of the season. Hopefully that doesn't pass

Other than more scholarship money, they shouldn't change a thing about college baseball. The MLB draft is perfect. The post season is perfect. Don't mess with it.

Advertisement
If it makes us more competitive, great. If the changes wouldn’t, I’m against them 🤔

It should help the next couple of years (if we get to Omaha), since we should have several high draft picks who will not be distracted/worrying about their MLB draft position during the tournament.

And by getting it over with and not pushing it out further, you potentially keep kids on your roster who have late July birthdays (and turn 21) from being draft eligible as sophomores.

It should help the next couple of years (if we get to Omaha), since we should have several high draft picks who will not be distracted/worrying about their MLB draft position during the tournament.

And by getting it over with and not pushing it out further, you potentially keep kids on your roster who have late July birthdays (and turn 21) from being draft eligible as sophomores.
Dam I love it! Great rule 🙌😜

Advertisement
Back