Positive notes headed into ACC

OrangetieFatface

Thunderdome
We have two dudes who can take over a game when a game needs taking over,
- Bruce Brown showed that tonight, he can get to the rim with ease.
- Lonnie Walker is the fastest athlete I’ve ever seen on our roster. He will get there,

Larranaga and the bigs
- Huell is a legit ACC big. That happened fast af.
- izundu is no slouch.
- wardenberg isn’t ready but that’s an insanely athletic 7 footer.

Role player?
- how clutch is amp? He can jam, he can guard the ball on four positions, he can shoot the three. He can rotate with just about any personnel. Every coach in America wishes they had an amp.

The necessary evil
- newton. He’s fearless. Total wild card, but he’s our wild card.

This team is built for a run. Built to get hot around tourney time. This may be a season we remember forever.

Advertisement
That would be great because right now they look very mediocre and vs that schedule it doesn’t bode well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- wardenberg isn’t ready but that’s an insanely athletic 7 footer.

Not sure I see this. He looked slow to me. He was also indecisive on one shot and one defensive sequence, both of which cost us points. I know that's more about learning and getting comfortable rather than his level of athleticism. But I see a lot of athletic big men in college basketball, and Waardenburg isn't one that comes to mind.

I agree Brown and Walker have the potential to take over a game, but I'm waiting for it to happen with any sort of consistency. I know Walker is coming back from injury, but he hasn't been the same sort of instantly dominant freshman that I expected. He's been a little lost at times, and inconsistent with his shot and decision-making. I also agree Huell is legit. He'll continue to get his in ACC play. Izundu and Lawrence are valuable in their roles. Newton and Lykes have been an issue for me so far. We all know Newton isn't a true PG and he assist-turnover ratio is never going to be good. But Lykes hasn't quite adapted to this level either, which means we don't have a PG who can consistently control the ball and create opportunities for others. I'm sure Lykes will continue to get better, but he's not there right now. That turnover after Lofton hit his miracle three pointer last night was a killer. Since neither Newton or Lykes are that guy yet, it means we're probably leaning on Brown to do a lot of that. It's obviously not his expertise either, but I do trust him more.

It's hard to judge Waardenburg because all i see is fear. That dude gets scared and panicky and weak against teams that have any size or athleticism. I'm sure it's a "new" game he has to learn versus international ball.

Agree about Sam, he's definitely shook. Gonna take time with him. I think having DJ as a wildcard is really going to help us. His scoring has gotten so much better and now he can do it against pressure. A really good 3rd option. Plays solid D now too.

Agree about Amp stepping up and being really good for us. Does everything on D and is now driving to the hoop.

Team D is still nice! Even though we lost we still held NMst to 35% shooting and 28% 3pt shooting.

We shot just 11% from 3pt range on Saturday. This team isn't built to survive that type of 3pt shooting. A great deal of our O is based on the 3pt shot going down. I think some combination of changing time zones and 2 games in 24 hours and the mental fatigue of this winning streak probably got the better of us. I don't think we ever shoot that bad again this season.

I saw Huell calling his own number a few times and demanding the ball. I like to see him grow as a leader out there. We'll need him.

Izundu had the best dunk of the tournament for the Canes.

Advertisement
It's hard to judge Waardenburg because all i see is fear. That dude gets scared and panicky and weak against teams that have any size or athleticism. I'm sure it's a "new" game he has to learn versus international ball.

Athleticism vs basketball skills? I'll take the latter in college ball every time.

Advertisement
Back