POLL: Should the university should remove A-Rod's name?

Kirijax

Senior
Here's a poll from The Miami Hurricane.

POLL: Do you think the university should remove Alex Rodriguez’s name from its baseball stadium?

Link

Advertisement
Advertisement
U gonna give back the 5 million.

THIS! I voted no because I don't think they would give him his money back. I HATE SOAPBOXES.
hypocrisy.jpg

Not one more red cent from me towards anything Miami until they decide that morals are more important than money. Been giving to the Hurricane Fund the last few years but not any more. This school and a lot of its fans are embarrassing.

Kirijax,

Alex transgressed against the rules of Major League Baseball by taking substances that are perfectly legal under U. S. law. His transgressions were what I would classify as "victimless." He didn't beat up his wife or commit any other act of violence against another person. He didn't bilk anyone the way Nevin Shapiro did. Is violating MLB rules immoral? Perhaps. Is it embarrassing? Probably. Worst thing was maybe being a Yankee.

Separate and apart from that, Alex donated a lot of money to UM - not to gain access a la Nevin Shapiro, but to help fund a baseball stadium. We might speculate about Alex's motives, but I am inclined to credit him with a significant measure of generosity and largesse towards his home town. In any case, the money has already been spent, and to return it would be to make it unavailable for other potentially worthwhile uses. I'm going to save my high dudgeon and moral outrage for other targets.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Kirijax,

Alex transgressed against the rules of Major League Baseball by taking substances that are perfectly legal under U. S. law. His transgressions were what I would classify as "victimless." He didn't beat up his wife or commit any other act of violence against another person. He didn't bilk anyone the way Nevin Shapiro did. Is violating MLB rules immoral? Perhaps. Is it embarrassing? Probably. Worst thing was maybe being a Yankee.

Separate and apart from that, Alex donated a lot of money to UM - not to gain access a la Nevin Shapiro, but to help fund a baseball stadium. We might speculate about Alex's motives, but I am inclined to credit him with a significant measure of generosity and largesse towards his home town. In any case, the money has already been spent, and to return it would be to make it unavailable other potentially worthwhile uses. I'm going to save my high dudgeon and moral outrage for other targets.

You can make it ok all you want. The fact remains that the University of Miami has the name of a liar and cheater who is mocked by all baseball fans. It completely sends the wrong message to those students who play on that field. "Cheating and lying is ok. If you give us enough money, we'll honor you by putting your name on our ball park." This is not the message I would want my son to get. Not supporting the U again until it comes off.

Kirijax,

Separate and apart from that, Alex donated a lot of money to UM - not to gain access a la Nevin Shapiro, but to help fund a baseball stadium. We might speculate about Alex's motives, but I am inclined to credit him with a significant measure of generosity and largesse towards his home town. In any case, the money has already been spent, and to return it would be to make it unavailable other potentially worthwhile uses. I'm going to save my high dudgeon and moral outrage for other targets.

You can make it ok all you want. The fact remains that the University of Miami has the name of a liar and cheater who is mocked by all baseball fans. It completely sends the wrong message to those students who play on that field. "Cheating and lying is ok. If you give us enough money, we'll honor you by putting your name on our ball park." This is not the message I would want my son to get. Not supporting the U again until it comes off.

I have not the slightest preexisting desire to "make it ok." I am just stating my point of view.

Last edited:
Kirijax,

I have not the slightest preexisting desire to "make it ok." I am just stating my point of view.

And from my point of view, that's exactly what you did. But if that's what you're ok with, I can't change your mind.

Advertisement
Kirijax,

Separate and apart from that, Alex donated a lot of money to UM - not to gain access a la Nevin Shapiro, but to help fund a baseball stadium. We might speculate about Alex's motives, but I am inclined to credit him with a significant measure of generosity and largesse towards his home town. In any case, the money has already been spent, and to return it would be to make it unavailable for other potentially worthwhile uses. I'm going to save my high dudgeon and moral outrage for other targets.

What an incredible white washing of Arod. He made his many millions by being a liar and a cheat. He donated to UM because in addition to being a liar and a cheat, he's also a narcissist. If he had the slightest bit of humility he would save UM the embarrassment of having his name on the stadium, and ask it to be taken down. But he won't do that because he cares way more about feeding his own narcissism than he cares about UM.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back