Point of Discussion: Grantham vs JDubs, man of character

IndayArtHauz

Knoxville Baby Maker
Administrator
If I have to hear one more time about Grantham’s “exotic blitzes” I’m going to trademark the phrase and retire early.

However, he does do some loopy things that may give Jarren legit fits. Can some of the posters who know what they’re talking about provide insight on the things UF’s D might do that other schools won’t, which specifically could confuse a first time starter.

3FF97E43-62D1-4936-9714-A9FB97A177D2.gif

Advertisement
Pretty sure he runs a 1 gap 3/4 defense. He’ll bring heat and overload one side or the other. Which could give us opportunities for big plays to the te’s. They’ll be vulnerable to screens and quick hitters especially if he goes zero coverage.

I don’t think being too aggressive would be smart , especially with our playmakers at te and Thomas.

If it’s me I’d make him drive the ball and read coverages , and wait on a youthful mistake by Williams. Too much blitzing would play into a vet playcaller like Enos hands.

If I have to hear one more time about Grantham’s “exotic blitzes” I’m going to trademark the phrase and retire early.

However, he does do some loopy things that may give Jarren legit fits. Can some of the posters who know what they’re talking about provide insight on the things UF’s D might do that other schools won’t, which specifically could confuse a first time starter.

View attachment 94184
I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about, but this is a good article poking some holes at the "3rd and Grantham" myth: https://www.alligator.org/sports/is...cle_ea22083a-5ce6-11e9-9a61-23b815a67de8.html

From watching the actual 2018 Gator games, what he likes to do is move pieces around. Similar to Diaz in a way. Overload blitzes, guys standing up, DEs like Zuniga bumping inside. I still maintain he's a **** kook if he presses his hand too much with the blitz against a questionable set of Tackles and a FR QB.

What he should do is disguise coverages and fall back into zone, which would make a young QB scan the field more than he'd probably like. If Grantham sends the dogs, as he sometimes did last year with insane 7 man blitzes, he's doing us a tremendous favor. We have the players to beat man coverage and it'd simplify Enos' strategy and Jarren's need to process.

I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about, but this is a good article poking some holes at the "3rd and Grantham" myth: https://www.alligator.org/sports/is...cle_ea22083a-5ce6-11e9-9a61-23b815a67de8.html

From watching the actual 2018 Gator games, what he likes to do is move pieces around. Similar to Diaz in a way. I still maintain he's a **** kook if he presses his hand too much with the blitz against a questionable set of Tackles and a FR QB.

What he should do is disguise coverages and fall back into zone, which would make a young QB scan the field more than he'd probably like. If Grantham sends the dogs, as he sometimes did last year with insane 7 man blitzes, he's doing us a tremendous favor. We have the players to beat man coverage and it'd simplify Enos' strategy and Jarren's need to process.

Exactly what I said , too aggressive would be foolish. Enos is a vet and uses the screen game. If he wants to play with that fire it could give up multiple big plays.

Disguise and drop into coverage , let your dL get to the qb and confuse him.

IT would be interesting to see what he does in short yardage, specifically near goal line.
I know Enos sometimes likes to go with an unbalanced line leaving a TE isolated with a DE (weak side). If someone like Jordan or even Mallory sell the Block and engages with the DE with some pop they can disengage and get wide open for a TD since Florida may be focused on the strong side. Especially with all the the action of the RB and FB flowing that direction.

Advertisement
Obviously, pressuring the quarterback is always important regardless of how inexperienced he may be. However, getting blitz happy can play right into the hands of an opposing coordinator working with a young QB. Often times, a blitz cuts down the number or reads and the QB just responds without having to over think a decision. Blitz comes from (x), throw ball to (y). It can actually simplify a game for a young QB. For example look how James Blackman roasted us in 2017. Manny kept dialing up the pressure, hoping and praying to get home for that one big play but kept giving up easy completions to a guy who was being coached by one of the better QB coaches in the game, Jimbo. Disguising your coverages and mixing it up between man and zone in different down and distances is the key rattling an inexperienced guy. Make him have to think. Make him have to go through his progressions. If you just man up and bring the house, he's going to make a throw automatically without thinking it through. If Grantham thinks he's just going to lock down our outside guys with man coverage and bring the house, we're going to blow them out.

I bet Grantham backs off his aggresiveness about midway through the 2nd quarter after we torch them on a short pass to Mallory in the empty zone and goes with occasional blitzes.

Zone blitzes would be smart , bring 4-5 guys and still have a deep safety in the middle. I mean if you want to blitz. Young QBs tend to throw hot expecting 0 coverage but there’s a zone.

For my money I still say sit back and see how weak our ol is and can their front get their with 3-4. Let him have short intermediate stuff and maybe frustrate him into trying for a big one down the field. Most young guys eventually have to try one.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back