PODCAST: 2022 Recruiting Board Spring Breakdown - Defense ft. D$

View as article
What a difference between the defensive board and the offensive board. This could be a Top 5-10 defensive group come signing day. ... Lashlee's staff better get humping.

Advertisement
What a difference between the defensive board and the offensive board. This could be a Top 5-10 defensive group come signing day. ... Lashlee's staff better get humping.
He has the qb at least
Who is arguably the most important recruit in every class

Out of that group I'm dropping Mullen for Graves. Mullen IMO has the least physical upside athletically & we currently lack guys with the type of traits Graves has.
I agree partially....I think athletically yes you're 100% correct. At the same time, some guys are less physically and athletically imposing but pure cover corners, think TC...I just think that the guys like Mullen who don't quite measure up from a measureables standpoint wind up being the guy we wished hadn't gotten away, meanwhile we have the athletic profile of an Ivey but for 2+years we can't get him to turn around and look for ball....a trait that's arguably a pure corner types top asset.

I'm for shooting for the JAllens, and KRogers and DFegans etc, but I think we should lock up 3 of our own in out backyard first, 3 of 4 out of Spells-Graves-Turner (OSU now)-Mullen. We put the full court on those guys 3 uncommitted kids and I think we get them wrapped up prior to August. Those kids in SEC country are going to take their visits WHILE committed to us if they did commit to us, and I guarantee that 2 of 3 if not 3 of 3 would pull a Romello Height on us

I agree partially....I think athletically yes you're 100% correct. At the same time, some guys are less physically and athletically imposing but pure cover corners, think TC...I just think that the guys like Mullen who don't quite measure up from a measureables standpoint wind up being the guy we wished hadn't gotten away, meanwhile we have the athletic profile of an Ivey but for 2+years we can't get him to turn around and look for ball....a trait that's arguably a pure corner types top asset.

I'm for shooting for the JAllens, and KRogers and DFegans etc, but I think we should lock up 3 of our own in out backyard first, 3 of 4 out of Spells-Graves-Turner (OSU now)-Mullen. We put the full court on those guys 3 uncommitted kids and I think we get them wrapped up prior to August. Those kids in SEC country are going to take their visits WHILE committed to us if they did commit to us, and I guarantee that 2 of 3 if not 3 of 3 would pull a Romello Height on us
I understand where you're coming from but with T-Rob in the building I'm less concerned with any prospects technical ability considering how good of a teacher & evaluator he is. That's why I'm leaning towards the kids with the athletic traits he can't teach: height, speed, long arms, explosiveness, hip flexibility, etc.

As far as recruiting the kids from SEC country, yeah normally I'd be worried they'd be of higher decommit likelihood but when you examine each situation closely there's some factors in our favor: Fegans is from Alabama but luckily Bama is chasing bigger fish at db, UGA is the bigger threat and he's likely a plan B. Allen definitely wants to be an LSU Tiger but they currently have 3 corners committed, he doesn't have a spot unless someone bails. Rodgers was a decommit from LSU & we're battling Ole Miss, MSU, and ND. DVD has been on Rodgers hard for awhile and the main competition for him are schools we should be able to beat, he likely takes his time making a decision so we gotta be ready to go the distance to ultimately win out.

Advertisement
I understand where you're coming from but with T-Rob in the building I'm less concerned with any prospects technical ability considering how good of a teacher & evaluator he is. That's why I'm leaning towards the kids with the athletic traits he can't teach: height, speed, long arms, explosiveness, hip flexibility, etc.

As far as recruiting the kids from SEC country, yeah normally I'd be worried they'd be of higher decommit likelihood but when you examine each situation closely there's some factors in our favor: Fegans is from Alabama but luckily Bama is chasing bigger fish at db, UGA is the bigger threat and he's likely a plan B. Allen definitely wants to be an LSU Tiger but they currently have 3 corners committed, he doesn't have a spot unless someone bails. Rodgers was a decommit from LSU & we're battling Ole Miss, MSU, and ND. DVD has been on Rodgers hard for awhile and the main competition for him are schools we should be able to beat, he likely takes his time making a decision so we gotta be ready to go the distance to ultimately win out.
All facts. Allen has been openly clamoring for a committable LSU offer, eventually they'll take him, similar to the WR Nabers last cycle. Ditto for Bama, I think he wants $EC and that' where he winds up ultimately. KRogers is the wild card here, simply because of the fact that he already decommitted from LSU, which speaks volumes....

I do get what you mean on the technique and TRob effect on that end of things, it's just that from where i'm sitting IMO we need 4 CBs so locking up Spells-Graves-Mullen should be priority #1 for us because when the TRob effect manifests itself through the guys on our roster we could be looking at 3 CBs gone via NFL draft (Ivey-Rique-Blades) leaving us razor thin at CB numbers. KRogers is gettable but these 3 aforementioned SFLA kids need to be locked up sooner than later.

All facts. Allen has been openly clamoring for a committable LSU offer, eventually they'll take him, similar to the WR Nabers last cycle. Ditto for Bama, I think he wants $EC and that' where he winds up ultimately. KRogers is the wild card here, simply because of the fact that he already decommitted from LSU, which speaks volumes....

I do get what you mean on the technique and TRob effect on that end of things, it's just that from where i'm sitting IMO we need 4 CBs so locking up Spells-Graves-Mullen should be priority #1 for us because when the TRob effect manifests itself through the guys on our roster we could be looking at 3 CBs gone via NFL draft (Ivey-Rique-Blades) leaving us razor thin at CB numbers. KRogers is gettable but these 3 aforementioned SFLA kids need to be locked up sooner than later.
I'd be absolutely shocked if DJ Ivey left early for the draft, but I also definitely agree that we need 4 corners regardless.

I'd be absolutely shocked if DJ Ivey left early for the draft, but I also definitely agree that we need 4 corners regardless.

It's going to be impossible with the numbers to take 4 corners. I'd be very surprised if they take 3. Both Ivey and Blades will be back, along with Couch and the other kids.

It's going to be impossible with the numbers to take 4 corners. I'd be very surprised if they take 3. Both Ivey and Blades will be back, along with Couch and the other kids.
Agree with you.See people here say we will take 4 cbs and 3 or 4 LBS and 3 wrs but if this is a small class 17-19,there will not be room for any of that.

Advertisement
Agree with you.See people here say we will take 4 cbs and 3 or 4 LBS and 3 wrs but if this is a small class 17-19,there will not be room for any of that.
Hypothetically if we're to land 4 corners, the rest of the class could be:
1 qb, Cody Brown counts forward for 22, 1 TE, 2 WR, 3 O line, 4 d line, 3 linebackers, 1 striker, 1 safety. That's 20 plus Cody Brown = 21. Leaves 3 spots for portal guys. If they decide to only take 3 corners that's fine if they truly land the top 3 guys on their board but we'll see how it all plays out.

Hypothetically if we're to land 4 corners, the rest of the class could be:
1 qb, Cody Brown counts forward for 22, 1 TE, 2 WR, 3 O line, 4 d line, 3 linebackers, 1 striker, 1 safety. That's 20 plus Cody Brown = 21. Leaves 3 spots for portal guys. If they decide to only take 3 corners that's fine if they truly land the top 3 guys on their board but we'll see how it all plays out.
I agree. I'd take four CBs at the expense of WR, or even LB. We need quality AND quantity at CB. Our numbers have been ridiculously low there the last few years, especially given how much teams pass these days. I'm fine with just two WRs and two LBs as long as they are studs. But 3-4 CBs are needed.

And who knows if Blades and DJ will be back in '22? Wasn't Blades talking about leaving after last season? We in all likelihood will have some attrition with 1-2 of our CBs on the roster.

Advertisement
Blades and ivey are seniors. And stevenson could be gone. They are taking 3 corners minimum but I believe 4 will be the number. They aren’t recruiting all these corners just to take 2.

Stevenson is gone for sure. Blades was already trying to leave and would have if not for his health issue. Ivey doubt he leaves. Couch could technically go although I pray he stays. Two years under trob and another year with feeley and he can be a 1-3 rounder. Plus we desperately need him. The juries out on Clarke dunson Curtis.

The staff needs to get a feel for what these older players are gonna do so we are not left with our peckers in our hand

Couch isn't leaving early unless he pulls a Bandy. With his size he needs a lot of film.
I would go into the season thinking i'm losing 3 CB's, and recruiting to sign 3-4 depending on who wants in.

Just like the DE position. You want at least 2 from South Florida, but you don't turn away any of the top 4 if they want in IMO. Stewart, Kelly, Jones Jr., and Jackson.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back