Player Development

Canesfrom

Sophomore
Premium
While there are a number of threads on our guys showing out at the various pre-draft bowls/camps, I figure it needs another one.

While I want Golden/Donfrio gone today, the fact that these guys are killing it supports the coaches ability to coach players up. Now, this is very different than good game-day coaches who can put our guys in the right position to make plays, adjust to an opponent or develop a game-plan to exploit weaknesses, especially on the fly.

But, these guys all got better with this staff, not worse. As a result, they will thrive in the league. Unfortunately, as a team, we don't get better.

Advertisement
No. The guys are killing it because they are finally being asked to do things that fit their skill-set. It has nothing to do with coaching (or lack thereof) that they received here.

For example, Chickillo excelled in a system that he wasn't coached to play in. How does it follow that the coaches get the credit for that? I'll help you out: It doesn't.

While there are a number of threads on our guys showing out at the various pre-draft bowls/camps, I figure it needs another one.

While I want Golden/Donfrio gone today, the fact that these guys are killing it supports the coaches ability to coach players up. Now, this is very different than good game-day coaches who can put our guys in the right position to make plays, adjust to an opponent or develop a game-plan to exploit weaknesses, especially on the fly.

But, these guys all got better with this staff, not worse. As a result, they will thrive in the league. Unfortunately, as a team, we don't get better.

No it doesn't.

These guys are all flying up draft boards. Why? Their talent was held back while playing at Miami under Golden and company. That isn't development.

Here's what I wrote in the other thread to someone stating that the players were being "coached right"...

The problem is part of being "coached right" is putting players in the position to look good or even better than what they are relative to the competition. A guy like Dorsett worked really hard to improve his body and may have even received development in terms of route running (part of that comes from self-development on the players' part, by the way), but he didn't "look" as good as he may be (especially relative to college opponents).

Again, Golden's issues are at the strategic level. And, the way that affects players is that they don't look as good as they should as individuals or together as a team. If he were good in this area, the players would happily nod their heads at the motivational ploys and the other stuff. Because his leadership has shown players that it doesn't make them look better or bring them wins, the entire thing collapses on itself.

My pitch to current recruits is that, hopefully, with new University leadership, someone will come in here and evaluate Athletics and Football from something more than a limiting results-driven view. Someone will understand context. When that happens, we'll have a new coach next year. So, come to Miami, where you'll always have the chance to shine on a big stage, and when our Admin gets it together to understand talent is currently being misused, you'll look great, too.

Last edited:
its funny b/c I feel like we've had a similar problem for years... the talented teams of Coker, Shannon also had similar issues. I don't remember Beason, Merriweather, Shields hitting their full potential until the NFL.

Our guys today are not killing it at these pre-draft bowls based on talent alone. That is pretty shortsighted. They are doing it after years of work with their trainers, coaches and themselves. Walford had never played football before. Dorsett's route running looks legit.

Advertisement
its funny b/c I feel like we've had a similar problem for years... the talented teams of Coker, Shannon also had similar issues. I don't remember Beason, Merriweather, Shields hitting their full potential until the NFL.

Our guys today are not killing it at these pre-draft bowls based on talent alone. That is pretty shortsighted. They are doing it after years of work with their trainers, coaches and themselves. Walford had never played football before. Dorsett's route running looks legit.
Yep. You are right. Chick was killing it in a 1 gap DL because of the 2 gap the coaches taught him here.

Player development is mostly on the player. These guys are excelled due to their own accord. Nothing to do with golden's garbage *** coaching. In fact, it was Golden's coaching that held this talent back.

Who cares if they developed players if they have absolute morons calling plays and gameplanning. Speaks to how horribly green and unqualified our coordinators are as well.

Coaches in these Allstar games want to see guys who can play in and against pro schemes - which is what we run.

Advertisement
Players are being developed but they are in a **** scheme that doesn't truly show their abilities. That's the problem. Our coaches are ******* idiots and won't play to the strengths of our players.

This is a false statement. Howard doesn't look any better than day 1. Chick has looked worse every year. Perryman is pretty much the same player as day 1 except bigger. Duke is the same player from day 1 except bigger. As a team, our tackling is just as bad if not worse than when Golden got here. EVEN WORSE, our team doesn't gang tackle **** anymore. Everything is one on one tackling which is why we miss so much now. We can't teach our DL proper moves in the trenches. They know patty cake and how to bull rush, that is it. Our DB's aren't learning to press, because they stand 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 5.

Don't defend this guy for something he is not doing. The only thing he is doing is costing players money and setting further back than we've ever been.

Advertisement
Back