Player Compensation

Hurrickaneof83

Freshman
My wife and I just got into a discussion over player compensation. I know opinions are all over the place on this topic but i have one scenario in mind that if it ever came to fruition would throw a monkeywrench at the NCAA and force them to reevaluate the rules.

The whole argument of not paying players while using their likeness is based on the school paying for everything. What if there was a five star athlete. (#1 overall in the country) and he came from a well off family. He decides that he wants to pay his whole way through college and split the profits (jersey sales, video games, etc.) from his likeness with the university. Should it be allowed?

Advertisement
My wife and I just got into a discussion over player compensation. I know opinions are all over the place on this topic but i have one scenario in mind that if it ever came to fruition would throw a monkeywrench at the NCAA and force them to reevaluate the rules.

The whole argument of not paying players while using their likeness is based on the school paying for everything. What if there was a five star athlete. (#1 overall in the country) and he came from a well off family. He decides that he wants to pay his whole way through college and split the profits (jersey sales, video games, etc.) from his likeness with the university. Should it be allowed?

not for nothing buddy and don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think this conversation is going to go over well coming from you.

I think a better question of "pay them" is would we be at a disadvantage if it ever happened? I dont follow finances that closely, but I know some school post profits from sports and funnel it back to other stuff and the salaries of coaches. But I know some come up short/post a loss, how would having to pay players affect us down that road? I think that's one "worry", would be are non Oregon/SEC/RandomRidiculouslyRichAlumniSchools signing their own death warrants.

Of course we would be at disadvantage. Haven't you noticed that it is mostly big rich SEC school coaches coming out in favor or it. They have more money than then can legally spend now. The cheep liberal administration at THE U will always take money FROM the football program for the ones they prefer like woman's - fill in the blank. It is in their DNA to take from who earns to give to who does not. They can not help themselves even if they wanted to.

Nobody fed my while I worked full time to pay my tuition. That said, it is ridiculous that football players should go hungry on weekends. Bring back the training tables and feed them 24 -7. We give food to everyone from our tax dollars, why not to players from sports revenue. Beyond that, all this money for the players is big conference stuff to keep their power, especially the SEC. They feel THE U coming back to take the punch bowl away from them AGAIN and are desperate to stop it.

The idea that players should own the rights to revenue derived from "their" images is simpleminded. If you are a scientist or engineer for a major company anything you invent or create while in their employ is almost always the company's property. You usually sign papers to that effect going in. I love my Canes, but I would never drop $30 on a shirt with Ed Reed's picture dressed in a suit. Wearing #20 in orange and green, now that is a different story. See it is not just the player that gives the value; actually they are fairly interchangeable as new heroes come through.

But to the point, paying players will leave the huge state schools in complete control -- plus maybe USC and ND. THE U just doesn't have the $$$ muscle or the right type of administration to compete. It will kill us worst than the four letter word.

Of course we would be at disadvantage. Haven't you noticed that it is mostly big rich SEC school coaches coming out in favor or it. They have more money than then can legally spend now. The cheep liberal administration at THE U will always take money FROM the football program for the ones they prefer like woman's - fill in the blank. It is in their DNA to take from who earns to give to who does not. They can not help themselves even if they wanted to.

Nobody fed my while I worked full time to pay my tuition. That said, it is ridiculous that football players should go hungry on weekends. Bring back the training tables and feed them 24 -7. We give food to everyone from our tax dollars, why not to players from sports revenue. Beyond that, all this money for the players is big conference stuff to keep their power, especially the SEC. They feel THE U coming back to take the punch bowl away from them AGAIN and are desperate to stop it.

The idea that players should own the rights to revenue derived from "their" images is simpleminded. If you are a scientist or engineer for a major company anything you invent or create while in their employ is almost always the company's property. You usually sign papers to that effect going in. I love my Canes, but I would never drop $30 on a shirt with Ed Reed's picture dressed in a suit. Wearing #20 in orange and green, now that is a different story. See it is not just the player that gives the value; actually they are fairly interchangeable as new heroes come through.

But to the point, paying players will leave the huge state schools in complete control -- plus maybe USC and ND. THE U just doesn't have the $$$ muscle or the right type of administration to compete. It will kill us worst than the four letter word.

Very well written. I think we have to separate our hate of the NCAA away from the issue of paying the players.

Advertisement
On the one hand, paying the players is fair. They put their asses on the line to make a ton of money for their schools. They deserve to be paid. On the other hand, it would completely ruin college football. The best players going to the highest bidder isn't what college football is about. College football is about passion. The fact that these guys are out their doing what they love for "nothing" is one of the things that makes college football more exciting than the pros. You don't get the drama that comes with professionals and you see players playing for a school simply because they love that school and they love the sport.

I think you need a system that balances both of these factors. Players shouldn't be straight up paid, but they should be compensated better than they are now.

A scholarship is great, but if players aren't required to graduate then it's completely useless and, quite frankly, a joke. If the NFL won't create their own minor league system, and therefore players are forced to go to college (and risk injury) even if they may be good enough for the pros, then players should be required to really go to college. They should be required to graduate. Nobody should be allowed in the NFL without a college degree. And teach these kids personal finance. Many of them will see individual checks bigger than many people will make in five years. There's no reason why these guys should ever be broke.

How many players get injured and have their lives ruined? There needs to be a healthcare fund set up. This should be for short term injuries as well as injuries down the road. Players should have a form of permanent health care. This could probably be setup in conjunction with the NFL, but at the end of the day, the players need to be protected. Setup a fund for life long health care for anyone who played college football.

In addition to health care, since players are required to go to college and forego potentially huge contracts, that risk should be hedged. Another fund should be set up for potential salaries in the case of injury. I don't really know how you'd be able to determine who deserves what, but if a player is forced to go to college and not earn a dime because that's how the system works, they should be able to recoup potential earnings if they get hurt in the process.

Basically what I'm saying is that the NCAA, the NFL, and colleges, instead of paying their coaches enormous salaries and building absolutely ridiculous facilities -- both things that make everyone but the players more well off, should be forced to spend their profits directly on the players that generate them. That doesn't mean they should be paying players directly, it means they should be supporting them much more than they already are.

Handing an 18 year old kid $250,000 isn't gonna fix a dam thing, but saving $250,000 that he generates from his play and giving it to him if he gets injured is completely fair and should be required.

And let the freakin kids eat and party. It's college...

i dont think paying players as a whole would work because of mid major schools would never be able to compete, but i dont think you should be able to tell a kid he cant sell his championship ring, or his signature thats taking players free will because if im hungry, kids need food, or mom is sick im going to do what i have to for them breaking ncaa rules or not. thats where i see a big problem.

I'm all for paying players some form of compensation. Get the NFL to contribute to a player fund along with the school , allowing the player to be vested upon graduation. Give them a reasonable weekly allowance to enjoy their college life.

Will paying the player stop cheating? Nope, in fact it would probably make it worse, however it's not an excuse to not compensate the athletes.

On the one hand, paying the players is fair. They put their asses on the line to make a ton of money for their schools. They deserve to be paid. On the other hand, it would completely ruin college football. The best players going to the highest bidder isn't what college football is about. College football is about passion. The fact that these guys are out their doing what they love for "nothing" is one of the things that makes college football more exciting than the pros. You don't get the drama that comes with professionals and you see players playing for a school simply because they love that school and they love the sport.

I think you need a system that balances both of these factors. Players shouldn't be straight up paid, but they should be compensated better than they are now.

A scholarship is great, but if players aren't required to graduate then it's completely useless and, quite frankly, a joke. If the NFL won't create their own minor league system, and therefore players are forced to go to college (and risk injury) even if they may be good enough for the pros, then players should be required to really go to college. They should be required to graduate. Nobody should be allowed in the NFL without a college degree. And teach these kids personal finance. Many of them will see individual checks bigger than many people will make in five years. There's no reason why these guys should ever be broke.

How many players get injured and have their lives ruined? There needs to be a healthcare fund set up. This should be for short term injuries as well as injuries down the road. Players should have a form of permanent health care. This could probably be setup in conjunction with the NFL, but at the end of the day, the players need to be protected. Setup a fund for life long health care for anyone who played college football.

In addition to health care, since players are required to go to college and forego potentially huge contracts, that risk should be hedged. Another fund should be set up for potential salaries in the case of injury. I don't really know how you'd be able to determine who deserves what, but if a player is forced to go to college and not earn a dime because that's how the system works, they should be able to recoup potential earnings if they get hurt in the process.

Basically what I'm saying is that the NCAA, the NFL, and colleges, instead of paying their coaches enormous salaries and building absolutely ridiculous facilities -- both things that make everyone but the players more well off, should be forced to spend their profits directly on the players that generate them. That doesn't mean they should be paying players directly, it means they should be supporting them much more than they already are.

Handing an 18 year old kid $250,000 isn't gonna fix a dam thing, but saving $250,000 that he generates from his play and giving it to him if he gets injured is completely fair and should be required.

Players aren't required to go to college at all to be eligible for the NFL.
3 years out of high school and you can go.
There's no way the NFL could mandate a degree only league.
As for setting up college players for life, does that include the 3rd string long snapper, or 3rd string kicker?
My point being, that only a select few make football their professional career. The rest of them, outside of Stillwater, Oklahoma, use the free ride at a university to build their professional foundation in other fields.
What you suggest is a quasi pay for performance plan, and would create a system of haves and have nots amongst college players.
The stars would reap huge benefits and the lesser players would receive much less.
If you are going to pay players, then everyone must benefit equally or not at all.
Healthcare for life? We can't even get healthcare for for every American citizen, and you propose 60 plus years of healthcare for every college football player?
Time to come back down to the real world.

Advertisement

Players aren't required to go to college at all to be eligible for the NFL.
3 years out of high school and you can go.
There's no way the NFL could mandate a degree only league.
As for setting up college players for life, does that include the 3rd string long snapper, or 3rd string kicker?
My point being, that only a select few make football their professional career. The rest of them, outside of Stillwater, Oklahoma, use the free ride at a university to build their professional foundation in other fields.
What you suggest is a quasi pay for performance plan, and would create a system of haves and have nots amongst college players.
The stars would reap huge benefits and the lesser players would receive much less.
If you are going to pay players, then everyone must benefit equally or not at all.
Healthcare for life? We can't even get healthcare for for every American citizen, and you propose 60 plus years of healthcare for every college football player?
Time to come back down to the real world.

First of all, getting healthcare for every American citizen is obviously a far more difficult task than getting healthcare for a select group of people whose monetary contributions are known and directly tied to their health. I didn't write a dissertation on how the plan would work, I just think there should be something. Perhaps it's paid for by the school while you're playing and then you can opt in after you graduate if you choose to do so for a small annual fee. I have no idea how it would work, but given the size of the industry and the relatively small number of players (compared to the size of the entire country), I don't see why it's not possible.

And yes, the funds would be available to every football player that is deemed worthy. It would create a system of haves and have-nots, but that's how the world works. Some players are more valuable than others. That's just a fact. I understand that you need to be three years removed from high school, and you don't actually need to go to college, but the vast majority of players take that route because college is the defacto NFL minor league. They should just make it official and treat it as such, but make sure to work education into the program.

Maybe if the NFL mandated a degree only league these kids would actually go to class and focus on their education a little bit more -- at both the college and high school levels. Perhaps we'd see less "Broke" stories if that were the case.

As I said, I don't know exactly how these programs would work. I just think the kids deserve more than they're getting now, but direct payment/salaries would ruin the game.

Advertisement
Back