Oxbridge shutting down football program

Advertisement
isn't that where Homer went?

edit: This is why it a BIG **** NO for me when people say kids should leave whenever they want and not lose a year from transfer in College athletics. (unless they graduated of course)

Last edited:
Oxbridge was a sketch school for football and everyone had an idea I know they had problems before with getting kids in and fudging some grades and A disgruntled parent whistle blew on them before ... kind of a shame they have a sick high school field

Advertisement
Oxbridge was a sketch school for football and everyone had an idea I know they had problems before with getting kids in and fudging some grades and A disgruntled parent whistle blew on them before ... kind of a shame they have a sick high school field

Their field is beautiful. Such a shame it will go to waste now, or be used for lacrosse or something.

This exact thing almost happened at the school that beat them in the state title game. Chaminade-Madonna was close to shutting down their football program just a few years ago. Most of the star athletes at these private schools are on some type of "scholarship" where they only pay partial or even zero tuition. At a large private school like STA, losing out on tuition money for "scholarship" players doesn't rally hurt the school's bottom line because they have a large tuition paying student body. 3A schools don't have the enrollment to cover the extra costs of a football program so they either drop football or require large donations from local boosters to cover the costs. Remember that private schools are about turning a profit first and foremost, so if an athletic budget hurts their bottom line, they drop it.

This exact thing almost happened at the school that beat them in the state title game. Chaminade-Madonna was close to shutting down their football program just a few years ago. Most of the star athletes at these private schools are on some type of "scholarship" where they only pay partial or even zero tuition. At a large private school like STA, losing out on tuition money for "scholarship" players doesn't rally hurt the school's bottom line because they have a large tuition paying student body. 3A schools don't have the enrollment to cover the extra costs of a football program so they either drop football or require large donations from local boosters to cover the costs. Remember that private schools are about turning a profit first and foremost, so if an athletic budget hurts their bottom line, they drop it.

Yes, I remember that situation.

Advertisement
Correct. Uschool didn't shut their program down but once Harriot left, most of the talent transferred out. This is actually pretty common in south Florida and it happens at public schools too.

Yes, the new one seems to be that Doral Charter Academy with the stars coming there from Norland, etc.
many talented players coming recently like Brieon Fuller, Denzel Daxon, Samuel Anaele, Wardrick Wilson, among others

Last edited:
This is what happens when your entire program is based off of recruiting. You dont recruit two years advance...this happens. Its foolsgold..the uschools, and even the American Heritages

Advertisement
Yea I drive past that field everyday to work and it is beautiful. It’s a shame. Also went to the UM scrimmage there in 2016 spring and it was awesome!

Advertisement
I'm old enough to remember when schools/communities cared about the football team and it wasn't just a few D1 college minor league affiliates. In the 90s the small schools like Gulliver, AH, Hollywood Christian, Dade Christian, even Chaminade.. they would occasionally poach a few kids from the big public schools but rarely en masse. With the rise of charters and loosened transfer rules, there's gonna be more of this. I think it sucks.

I knew it was getting crazy a few years back when I think it was Champagnant was like a store front in a strip mall but had a football team with a bunch of D1 recruits.

Was told that Oxbridge will reopen their football team next year. My cousin has 2 kids that go there and that is the word from the meeting the other day at the school.

As well all know, They recruited kids incorrectly and too quickly. Koch brothers want academics first. Too many of the recruits were failing multiple classes. Oxbridge is up to $42k/year. Cha Ching

Advertisement
Back