Overlooked so far..no former player bans

i'd ban this punk ***!
randyphillips3003001.jpg

381.jpg

Advertisement
YOu guys are missing the point; Being blinded by interweb tough guyness.

UM self imposed two bowl bans and admitted to the infractions that Randy mentioned in that article. The only thing Randy Phillips did was EXPLAIN WHY he took the benefits. THAT is the crux of that piece. Read it again, they paint nevin shapiro out to be the villain. Randy is the victim in that story.

And again - Randy only mentioned what UM has already stipulated as true. Y'all need to put your interweb tough guy shtick in check. The facts dont merit it. :)

UM self imposed two bowl bans and admitted to the infractions that Randy mentioned in that article. The only thing Randy Phillips did was EXPLAIN WHY he took the benefits. THAT is the crux of that piece. Read it again, they paint nevin shapiro out to be the villain. Randy is the victim in that story.

And again - Randy only mentioned what UM has already stipulated as true. Y'all need to put your interweb tough guy shtick in check. The facts dont merit it. :)

It's not as clear as you're saying. As i recall from reading the story at f'n 3AM last night, he is quoted in the article saying the administration had to know about Shapiro. And Shapiro was the only reason we could recruit anyone. Those are pretty nasty allegations against the school and the program. though, w/ Randy at the helm, Shapiro very well may have been the only way we could pull a recruit who was sitting on the fence.

No one is being internet tough guy here except for you since you're an empowered moderator. Sorry but your wrong. He pulled out his junk and had a kid, his choice. Quit football and get a job like everyone else if you can't make it or tough it out a few years and get a good job with the six figure education you're about to get. I am not advocating the system but that is the system and you must follow the rules. There are ways to advocate change without breaking the rules.

Also, he didn't sound like a victim to me in that article, sounded entitled just like most of Randy and Coker's kids. Those kids that got no bowl games for two years and a chance of an ACC championship (and 9 kids who will never get to attend the U) for his "queen bee" antics is what I see. Regardless if you want to make change, make change, don't throw the U family under the bus. And being proud, "wishing he took more" as quoted in the article, antics like his almost took this university down.

I understand what you are trying to say but if we would have got the death penalty today or USC sancations you would be calling for this dudes head. Because we "skated" you're taking a soft stance with the kid in my opinion. Just because he didn't do it to the NCAA you're giving him a free pass.

Also, there were multiple former players who talked to Charles Robinson that he wouldn't name, who is to say he wasn't one of them? Not saying he was but he sure is the type obviously. You take it to your gave to protect the U.

Last edited:

I really don't understand your defense of Phillips. Are you related?

I don't read that article like that at all. It makes Miami look awful, it actually makes Phillips look like Shapiro's lackey. Why rehash something that has already been put to bed? Phillips turned his back on his family when he went to the papers

Advertisement

Lets also add to the general public and all the talking heads, they are not taking it as he was just explaining himself, they take it as he just admitted that Miami's staff had knowledge (even though they have denied it the entire time). This is literally just more fire against us. Yes it won't matter much now that the decision is out, but it's just one more piece against us. You think the voters and media won't carry some bias when making their choices? This is just one more thing to think about as they cast their votes.

COUNTERPOINTS:

Ignorantly confirming everything in Yahoo!'s report as "gotta be" true:

I know if [Shapiro] said it, he did it. There were no lies in there, not to my knowledge. … The stuff that he said [in the Yahoo Sports! article], he had already told me had happened.

Confirming big hit payouts a la the Uncle Luke days:

Phillips confirmed Shapiro offered payouts for plays on the field, but only for big games, such as Florida or Florida State. Big hits and interception returns for touchdowns were worth $500. When they played the Gators in 2008, a $5,000 price tag was placed on knocking Tim Tebow out of the game.

Emphasizing Nevin's involvement, accusing Miami of "using" him:

They couldn't recruit without Nevin. It got to the point where Nevin was the recruiter. Every top star player came through Nevin's house. That's how they were using me.

Yes, Randy Phillips is the victim in this piece, but of The U:

It's like: How did the university protect us from people like this who was donating money, whose name was on the player's lounge, who bought us all these TVs and video games? Of course, I'm going to want to shake his hand and be cool with him. … It's kind of like they put us in a situation where this guy was our savior.

Again, none of this matters for us now. So I'm chillin' like a villain with Bob Dylan on some penicillin if ya feel what I'm feelin'. But Randy Phillips be a big ol' snitchy *** *****.

Again, none of this matters for us now. So I'm chillin' like a villain with Bob Dylan on some penicillin if ya feel what I'm feelin'. But Randy Phillips be a big ol' snitchy *** ****.

Agree, I am really happy today that we didn't get hosed with 30 ships. SFbayCane If you are wearing a U shirt and I saw some stupid opposing team fan give you ish I would step up with you, not even knowing you. But you'll never convince me Randy ain't no snitch SFbayCane. :)

UM players have been part of a family for the last 30+ years. That goes for KW, TM and RP. I hope that all our former players want to come back and are welcome with open arms. As far as this SNiTCH S***, the suggestion of some street payback is more BS.
Obviously Phillips etal did no real damage. It was a professional liar/sociopath that got some sand in his ****** and decided to do all the damage he could through exaggeration and more lies. Frankly, it was a tough case for the already incompetent NCAA COI.

This is a pretty happy day for the Canes and their fans.

Advertisement

Actually no you're missing the point, which isn't surprising at all. UM didn't stipulate, stop using words when you don't know what they mean. UM thinking that the NCAA could prove enough to warrant two bowl bans doesn't mean UM said "we agree for purposes of this investigation that these facts should be treated as true." If dumbasses like Randy Phillips don't go to newspaper, all anybody ever has is the NCAA's findings of fact--and the NCAA was only able to account for 173k of benefits, meanwhile, Phillips is claiming that "everything [Shapiro] said was true," and he claimed that the benefits were in the millions. And regardless, even if some that stuff was true, that doesn't mean that that attention ***** needs to go to the newspaper about it. If one of my cousins gets arrested and sentenced for something dumb, I don't go to the newspaper explaining why he did it, capiche?

Advertisement
Back