Overlooked Diaz Mistake

AllAboutTheU13

Sophomore
There’s no question King was a shell of himself this season, even before he got banged up the first few games. The offense was anemic vs Bama/App St/MSU, and King was a big part of that. Should that have caught anyone off guard? It shouldn’t have. There are lots of players that have major drop-offs after knee injuries, especially QBs. It’s never a guarantee they come back to what they were before.

Why did UM commit so quickly to King being healthy for the season? It was literally a few days after his injury in Dec, they were already committing to him being healthy for the start of the 2021 season. The saddest part of this is we had a healthy, experienced QB on the roster, who had just come cold off the bench in the bowl game to bring us back from a 21-7 deficit, leading our offense to 24 points in the second half.

I agree there’s lots of issues with this team, the defense being a big one, but this season could’ve looked very different if NKosi stayed. Completely foolish to commit to King coming back 100% only a few days after his injury, basically running NKosi into the transfer portal.

They should’ve waited it out, told NKosi it wasn’t a guarantee King would be back 100%, let Nkosi run as QB1 in the offseason, and waited until the fall to see how King looked. We don’t beat Bama with NKosi, but we definitely beat App St by more than 2 points, could’ve beaten MSU, probably would’ve beaten UVA and UNC, and could be sitting at 6-1 right now. Not to mention, Perry is a die hard loyal Cane, he deserved a shot. But maybe it’s better it worked out this way, that only would’ve covered up more of Diaz’s issues.

Nkosi’s stats this year
Passing: 62% 1,696 yds, 8.8 ypa, 14 TD, 4 INT
Rushing: 110 yds, 4 TD
27th nationally in passer rating

Advertisement
No amount of words was going to convince Perry to come back. He barely got a shot here when King was healthy. The rest is just window dressing. Say what you say to support and root on a recovery for your starter. There was no commitment or guarantee as had King not been healthy, guess what, he doesn't start.

I like Kosi much as the next guy but I’m very happy TVD getting real snaps early instead of sitting behind Kosi another year.
I also think the losses have actually brought huge awareness to major issues in this program. I’m in a weird way somewhat happy it has played out how it has.

At least Kosi was at the game, tho.

A true Cane.
FB_IMG_1635057934654.jpg

Advertisement
Bro, this post ain't it. Kosi is playing at FAU against lesser competition. He's performing well, as he should. I'm beyond happy for Kosi and he's more than deserving of the success but to say Kosi not being here is a mistake is not right. The move made sense for both parties. King is better than Kosi and deserved to be named starter, especially after suffering an injury in the bowl game. King earned that. He came back when he didn't have to.

Advertisement
I like Kosi much as the next guy but I’m very happy TVD getting real snaps early instead of sitting behind Kosi another year.
I also think the losses have actually brought huge awareness to major issues in this program. I’m in a weird way somewhat happy it has played out how it has.
Yeah I’m glad it’s playing out this way too. This is really just to shoot down any narrative that Diaz had to deal with King’s injury and TVDs growing pains, and that’s why we’re 3-4 now. Wrong, he blew the QB situation too. I would’ve been perfectly happy to watch Nkosi this year and give TVD/Garcia a year to develop. Both would’ve been redshirt freshmen next year.

Classical case of 20/20 hindsight. All teams in college make decisions on what they think is their best shot. You take a polll BEFORE season starts on who our starting about should be and Kosi hive is sent to oblivion. Having said that the bigger mistake is playing seniors when better alternatives were on the table. We are seeing that now….

There’s no question King was a shell of himself this season, even before he got banged up the first few games. The offense was anemic vs Bama/App St/MSU, and King was a big part of that. Should that have caught anyone off guard? It shouldn’t have. There are lots of players that have major drop-offs after knee injuries, especially QBs. It’s never a guarantee they come back to what they were before.

Why did UM commit so quickly to King being healthy for the season? It was literally a few days after his injury in Dec, they were already committing to him being healthy for the start of the 2021 season. The saddest part of this is we had a healthy, experienced QB on the roster, who had just come cold off the bench in the bowl game to bring us back from a 21-7 deficit, leading our offense to 24 points in the second half.

I agree there’s lots of issues with this team, the defense being a big one, but this season could’ve looked very different if NKosi stayed. Completely foolish to commit to King coming back 100% only a few days after his injury, basically running NKosi into the transfer portal.

They should’ve waited it out, told NKosi it wasn’t a guarantee King would be back 100%, let Nkosi run as QB1 in the offseason, and waited until the fall to see how King looked. We don’t beat Bama with NKosi, but we definitely beat App St by more than 2 points, could’ve beaten MSU, probably would’ve beaten UVA and UNC, and could be sitting at 6-1 right now. Not to mention, Perry is a die hard loyal Cane, he deserved a shot. But maybe it’s better it worked out this way, that only would’ve covered up more of Diaz’s issues.

Nkosi’s stats this year
Passing: 62% 1,696 yds, 8.8 ypa, 14 TD, 4 INT
Rushing: 110 yds, 4 TD
27th nationally in passer rating
Jesus, I'm sure Kosi would've had the same numbers at UM

Advertisement
Stop it already with Kosi; he was a poster boy for everything wrong with Miami even before Manny took over. He wasn't smart enough to take advantage of the chances he had here when he could have had the job by beating out Rosier. Good for him he's making something out of his 3rd or 4th "last chance".

Kosi himself I think said King was such a great influence on him on how to take the next step… idk if kosi startifn the year off would have made that big of a difference… but things happen for a reason and we really needed a reality check from the Athletic department down….

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back